The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Troy Stecher | #51 | D

Gstank29

12 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

The quote was 9 regular defense, then Stecher was brought up. Benning said 'if you count Stecher that would be 10, but I still view him as a prospect... first year pro'. He then went on to praise him for working out with Canucks regulars all summer. 

The nine he is referring to:

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa - Tryamkin

Larsen, Biega, Pedan

Oh, and a sidenote from the same interview - Benning mentioned Tryamkin had been working out hard this summer, and expects him to make the team. The 9 D quote proceeded from that. 

this us why we need to trade either Edler,Tanev or Sbisa so larsen has room on the team!!

31 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Yup, we're definitely building from the bottom up. Exciting times ahead.

This is what I have said before the draft ,to get a winner you need goaltending,D then forwards and so far we have two of three!!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, cripplereh said:

this us why we need to trade either Edler,Tanev or Sbisa so larsen has room on the team!!

This is what I have said before the draft ,to get a winner you need goaltending,D then forwards and so far we have two of three!!

Hahaha.  

Yeah dude.  Let's trade one of our best Dmen to make room for Larsen.  

Say that out loud to yourself.  

Do you feel stupid after that?

You should.  

Edited by drummerboy
  • Upvote 2

Nope because he should be our PP quarterback which we havn't really had since we traded garrison so to me he is in and one is out!!!If you think different then we will not come close to making the playoffs without a PP guy,if he struggles then I see a trade or something but we need help on the PP to be competitive which we all want so does Benning and Linden who are high on him running the PP!!!

37 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Nope because he should be our PP quarterback which we havn't really had since we traded garrison so to me he is in and one is out!!!If you think different then we will not come close to making the playoffs without a PP guy,if he struggles then I see a trade or something but we need help on the PP to be competitive which we all want so does Benning and Linden who are high on him running the PP!!!

I'm not totally sold on Larsen being an impact PP QB,  but I'm definitely open to being convinced. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, drummerboy said:

Hahaha.  

Yeah dude.  Let's trade one of our best Dmen to make room for Larsen.  

Say that out loud to yourself.  

Do you feel stupid after that?

You should.  

To be fair, Sbisa is on his list......:P

Seriously, Sbisa can skate and he is hard to play against so he checks some boxes.  But his decision making is suspect. 

All this will come out in the wash when camp starts and over the first number of games.  Benning has really done a make over on defense this year and I think we'll be seeing some changes.  Hamhuis was the first casualty.

I don't think that we're seeing any movement until we really know what we have in Larsen, Stecher, and Tryamkin

Edited by Crabcakes

1 minute ago, drummerboy said:

I actually like Sbisa.  

He is a tough guy to play against.  

He hits a lot, and wit his big size, they are good hits. 

He may be a bit of a potato, but his game was getting pretty good last year. 

He brings a lot of what this team so badly needs.  Toughness 

Ya, what's wrong with potatoes?  lol

1 hour ago, cripplereh said:

Really?   Gonna trade a Tanev or an Edler for a guy who hasn't been able to do it in this league before.  He couldn't the first time in the league.   

Thats why he left for Russia.  

He had a good season in a league much lower in quality than the NHL. 

He has proven nothing in this league and trading away one of our best for a place in the line up for a hope and a chance with a Russian is going full retard. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Really?   Gonna trade a Tanev or an Edler for a guy who hasn't been able to do it in this league before.  He couldn't the first time in the league.   

He has proven nothing in this league and trading away one of our best for a place in the line up for a hope and a chance with a Russian is going full retard. 

He actually left because he didn't want to play for the Oilers.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Exactly why Benning gave him a 1 year deal. Laughable that trading Tanev or Edler being viewed as solution. Larrson will get his shot this fall and considering his age that might be his best crack at making the NHL. If Larrson is successful he threatens the roster position of the bottom 5 - 8 not the top 4. That said I doubt he threatens Sbisa either.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Exactly why Benning gave him a 1 year deal. Laughable that trading Tanev or Edler being viewed as solution. Larrson will get his shot this fall and considering his age that might be his best crack at making the NHL. If Larrson is successful he threatens the roster position of the bottom 5 - 8 not the top 4. That said I doubt he threatens Sbisa either.

Exactly. +1

30 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Moving Sbisa should be the answer we're all looking for.

Edler, Tanev

Hutton, Gudbranson

Tryamkin, Larsen

Pedan, Biega

...looks just fine to me

I'm not against trading Sbisa, believe me...

And on paper it looks like he is expendable. But just recall the comments by Benning about going 11 D deep. How long did Gillis keep Ballard at $4.2 mill (in part) because they believed we needed that extra depth? I believe Biega will clear waivers and he will be odd man out > return to Utica.  But that all presumes we have no D on IR by the time the season starts.  Odds are we will?

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

______ Larsen                              Tryamkin

Pedan   ______                               Sbisa

Biega

I personally imagine with that line up Sbisa would start in the top 6.  Tree will then quickly jump in and injuries will see both routinely in the line up?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

The likely scenario, but there again every one thought Hutton would play in Utica last September

That was why most fans were surprised when Hutton stuck. It is so unusual for someone without any NHL experience to make the jump from college. Stecher is now being penciled as making the team the same way, odds are against him doing that. The nice thing about college d-men is that they are older and generally have played against bigger opposition.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

That was why most fans were surprised when Hutton stuck. It is so unusual for someone without any NHL experience to make the jump from college. Stecher is now being penciled as making the team the same way, odds are against him doing that. The nice thing about college d-men is that they are older and generally have played against bigger opposition.

By whom?  I haven't seen anyone projecting that at all.

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

And on paper it looks like he is expendable. But just recall the comments by Benning about going 11 D deep. How long did Gillis keep Ballard at $4.2 mill (in part) because they believed we needed that extra depth? I believe Biega will clear waivers and he will be odd man out > return to Utica.  But that all presumes we have no D on IR by the time the season starts.  Odds are we will?

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Biega

I personally imagine with that line up Sbisa would start in the top 6.  Tree will then quickly jump in and injuries will see both routinely in the line up?

Yeaaaahhh.... I hear what you're saying. And I agree Biega would probably pass. As of now though, I'd gladly trade Sbisa+ for a higher ceiling, near ready D prospect that isn't a waiver risk.

Same depth that way but no waiver risks ::D

That and I think Tryamkin's going to earn a bigger spot than 7th D and I think he needs to play to keep getting better.

I know, he'll get playing time regardless with injuries but that's just my gut feeling on the situation.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

By whom?  I haven't seen anyone projecting that at all.

No? Ok I'll do it. I am pencilling in Stecher on the Canucks lineup for the coming season. Reasons? He looked great in development camp, he's not a teenager and has been playing against men, the team needs to increase the skill level on the blue line, and Hutton demonstrated last year that it can be done.

But I'm using pencil not ink and no, I wouldn't actually bet on it unless I got about three to one odds LOL.

• Upvote 1

Finally we have even pairings down the left and right side of the defence with an even split of puck movers and shutdown defencemen:

Edler > Hutton > Sbisa > Tryamkin > Pedan > Juolevi

Tanev > Gudbranson > Larsen > Biega > Subban > Stecher

I think in terms of the 6th roster spot on the right side to play with Sbisa, we really should give Larsen, Subban and Stecher an even chance but Larsen is most likely going to start there and it's his job to lose. Subban was brilliant in the AHL last season but could use another year playing amongst men, and Stecher needs at least one full season with Utica before he even thinks about playing with bigger, stronger opponents.

11 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Biega

Benning already let Hamhuis slide who came in at a similar cap hit to Sbisa.  I think that was the choice.  Sbisa or Hammer and Sbisa won out because of age and grit.

I think you're right about the depth.  While Sbisa does have his warts, there are several D prospects who may be close but don't have much NHL experience:  Larsen, Pedan, Tryamkin, and Stecher.  They know what they have in Sbisa.  Now, odds are, not all of these guys will work out.  Until we know how the chips are going to fall, Sbisa will stay.  He may be a possible deadline move but for now, there is no cap issue if he is kept around.

Edited by Crabcakes
  • Upvote 1