The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Extension] Canucks sign Granlund to a 2 year contract extension

Odd.

26 minutes ago, mll said:

Probably means the end of Vey.  McCann in Utica and Gaunce at wing as Granlund isn't comfortable on the wing (dixit Treliving) and himself prefers C. 

I guess Baertschi-Granlund next year on the 4th line - probably with Virtanen as an offensive sheltered line.  WillieD doesn't like Baertschi with Horvat and Granlund has commented that he had to adjust his game to play with grinders as opposed to skilled players so I don't think he'll be a shutdown line.  He also wasn't tried with Dorsett, Gaunce or even Burrows.

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen

Baertschi - Horvat - Rödin

_____ - Sutter - Virtanen

Gaunce - Granlund - Dorsett/Grenier/Etem

Doesn't look too bad before the draft/free agency.

13 minutes ago, ice orca said:

Cheap is the only thing that's good about it.

Not sure what else you're looking for?

Should there be a stipulation that he repays the entire amount if he doesn't break Gretzky's single season goal scoring record?

EDIT: worth noting, when you search Gretzky on bing.com, the 1st link that comes up is Paulina Gretzky: Pictures, Videos, Breaking News

;)

8 minutes ago, Pears said:

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen

Baertschi - Horvat - Rödin

_____ - Sutter - Virtanen

Gaunce - Granlund - Dorsett/Grenier/Etem

Doesn't look too bad before the draft/free agency.

WillieD has already said that Baertschi is not a fit with Horvat because it plays to his weaknesses.  He alters his game when he plays with Baertschi.  He thinks he is much better with defensive wingers and working off transition (- Baertschi can work off transition but that's not really why he was drafted in the 1st round).  

I think Etem signs pretty close to the same numbers, Baertschi, probably around 1.75 hit for 2 years. Vey, probably around 1.1 million, although I'd like to keep him at 1 million or even get him down a little with a couple of year contract.

Pedan, I think we get about 850, 2 way though.

Just my forecasts, take them for what they are worth! :)

9 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Granlund, Baertschi, Rodin, Hansen

Is this a Detroit style strategy of rolling a team with Euro depth, speed and talent up front?

I think so. Benning talked a lot about the Bowman's and how they put together teams at the last summit. 

31 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Sutter, Granlund and Gaunce can all play C and Wing. Good, versatile players to have. Know who else plays C and Wing? DUBOIS

Although, I'd much prefer a top 3, Dubois would be my 4th pick.

I thought Sutter hardly ever played wing before the few games he got at the very start of the season with the Sedins.  The main reason he played wing was because it was the least disruptive to the other lines.  WillieD knew what Sutter brought at C but the team was still trying to figure out if McCann could make the team so they had to leave a spot at C open for him because they were also testing Cracknell at C.

Granlund prefers C with Treliving even saying:

20 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Granlund, Baertschi, Rodin, Hansen

Is this a Detroit style strategy of rolling a team with Euro depth, speed and talent up front?

No, it's an NHL strategy where every team has players from hockey-playing nations around the world.

55 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Good signing, and very pleased he signed for under a million per year. The term is also very good. Benning continues to do good work. Vey's contract expired, so I guess he's gone? Kind of too bad in a way, as he was also fairly cheap, young, started to really improve. But there just isn't a spot for him.

Yeah, Vey vastly improved from

what he was last year. The problem is, even with his improvements, he was still one of our weaker forwards. Time to cut our losses.

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

This provides insurance at center ice, but my guess is this solidifies McCann playing a year in Utica.  McCann isn't very good at center anyway, as WD has tried to get him to play wing. 

Even if McCann doesn't play for Vancouver, I thought Gaunce looked ready for a 4th line role.  So we're still looking at a glut at center unless we move Sutter to the wing again - which I am hesitant to do considering he's not a base faceoff guy, and it is a stat we've typically not been too good at.

900k is fine by me.  Very fine.

im not sure how mccann is a horrible center if he was in ohl hed be playing in every situation pk pp in key moments of game hes a teenager in nhl and had a decent yr only think the kid  needs is time to gain muscle mass so hes a force in nhl you obviously have no clue 

Archived