The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign 21 year old Yan-Pavel Laplante

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I've pointed out we have a lot of players that are UFA's and RFA's that would probably want as much, if not more to stay. Not every player is brought in to score goals. There are role players and 3rd and 4th liners too. Do football teams draft all QB's and Running backs? Or do they draft linemen, receivers, tight ends, safeties, linebackers? Scout out some of those 1,000,000 free agents, then have a list of how many ex 3rd rounders are there, that are now UFA's. Give the team a list of those players and send it into the scouting office if you're so talented. Maybe Scouts in Vancouver and Arizona see something more than you.

You lost me. 

Why waste your time developing a player  that the northern hemisphere is full of? It would be like buying a dandelion at the nursery. 

2 hours ago, stawns said:

What is wrong with you that you would act so angrily toward a player you have no knowledge about........or anyone for that matter?

Correct, I have no knowledge of this player and neither do you. You wanna know why? 

Because he sucks. 

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

It's not your money and we have space.

Do you know how to spell 'develop' yet?

I have no idea why develop is spelt like that, maybe I'm losing my mind. Or auto correct is making me stupid.

23 minutes ago, logic said:

@debluvscanucks can we pls get him banned

He never makes a personal attack on other posters so he doesn't break the rules unlike yourself. 

7 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Well that's some wishful thinking...

Not to be a party pooper but the odds are heavily stacked against the kid to crack the NHL, let alone become a regular and one the calibre of Roussel at that.

Truth be told he's maybe an AHLer and the rest will be determined on waiting and seeing if he can figure things out at the pro level or not. So I'd suggest to be more even keel, not pencil this guy as our Roussel (lol), and save yourself the letdown if he doesn't reach that which most likely will be the case.

...not saying he can't become that player for us, but let the guy play first. If he does take the right steps, yea sure we can follow along and get a better read of what he could become but to say he'll be our x/y/z player at this stage is premature to say the least.

That's what everyone was saying about Roussel before Roussel became the player he became (would you have ever thought Roussel would become the player he was when he was at the Canucks development/training camps and while he played for the Wolves on an AHL contract?)

Call me crazy, but IMHO, most players that make it to Major Junior A or Division 1 NCAA hockey are there because they have a little certain something-something.  Players that seem to fall through the cracks do so due to a multitude of reasons, of which the most common is injuries...then throw in specific/unique circumstances of each team, and you have situations for prospects to be cast adrift, creating opportunities for other teams to pick up these players. 

Personally, I'm all for the signing and having 2-3 players like Laplante if there is space for them on a 50-man roster...you never know what they are going to turn out until you take some risk (and really, what's the risk of signing a player like Laplante?).

Solid Utica signing. GMJB has to build roster depth. hypothetically speaking, McCann goes to Utica next year. Seems only logical that YP is the type of player who'd be a good linemate for him. Fiesty, physical, and has some scoring ability. The clubs big investment (McCann for example) benefits. 

16 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Seems like a hard worker. Classic JB meat and potatoes type.

Had 7 short handed goals last season which was tops in the QMJHL. Project prospect and seems like he'll be a bottom 6 depth player if things pan out.

huh? What's the Classic JB meat and potatoes type players? Vey, Sutter, Gralund

Sure gritty as hell. 

17 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Via JF Plante Twitter:

"Incredible contract for Yan-Pavel Laplante with the #canucks. 2 years at $700,000 and 3rd year $ 832 500 if it is in #LNH. #ledroit"

"70 000 $US salary for Yan - Pavel Laplante in the #AHL, but generous annual bonus of $92,500 per year for 3 years! #ledroit"

"Released by #coyotes last summer, Pavel Laplante was often the last to leave the rink this year. Work = reward #ledroit"

...well, I guess he does look like Lucic somewhat 

You actually beat @-Vintage Canuck- to a signing thread... :o

Woah! Why all the negativity here? lol 

Clearly they didn't sign him for his offensive prowess. Looks like he can fill a void that the Canuck's/Utica clearly lack. 

Not too many of the Canuck's prospects are labelled to be a 4th liner that can kill penalties and create energy. 

Archived