The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

Likely to get a PTO somewhere or a 1 year deal for a million or so. 

I just think he is a classic tweener type that plays too such a limited style off offense that it makes it tough for coaches to find a place for him to play.

We kicked a top 6 F to the curb after he got a concussion, it is sad and I wonder if there are issues between the team expecting a player return at a certain time and a player maybe needing more time....that sure sounds like sven's case. He had a great interview with Don Taylor and Rick Dhaliwal, I can't help but feel for him. Sven had good chemistry with Bo, I have to think he could have had a better impact for us this year Vs. us claiming Vesey and gifting him top 6 minutes...but the writing was on the wall and Sven was never going to get a shot to ever play for us again.

What I would like to see if him sign a 1 year deal or even a PTO with Seattle, Seattle has the expansion draft and after they select their roster they can then start making moves of certain players they chose if they want to gain picks or prospects to a new organization with 0 depth.

Lastly wish Sven and his family all the best, sorry it ended how it did here and if I could find a Baertschi black Skate jersey for a decent price, I would snap that up and rep it to games for the rest of my life. So, if anyone finds a Sven skate jersey on the cheap now that he is officially not a Canuck entity send it my way!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

We kicked a top 6 F to the curb after he got a concussion, it is sad and I wonder if there are issues between the team expecting a player return at a certain time and a player maybe needing more time....that sure sounds like sven's case. He had a great interview with Don Taylor and Rick Dhaliwal, I can't help but feel for him. Sven had good chemistry with Bo, I have to think he could have had a better impact for us this year Vs. us claiming Vesey and gifting him top 6 minutes...but the writing was on the wall and Sven was never going to get a shot to ever play for us again.

What I would like to see if him sign a 1 year deal or even a PTO with Seattle, Seattle has the expansion draft and after they select their roster they can then start making moves of certain players they chose if they want to gain picks or prospects to a new organization with 0 depth.

Lastly wish Sven and his family all the best, sorry it ended how it did here and if I could find a Baertschi black Skate jersey for a decent price, I would snap that up and rep it to games for the rest of my life. So, if anyone finds a Sven skate jersey on the cheap now that he is officially not a Canuck entity send it my way!

Yeah. I feel bad for Bärtschi. I hope that he lands somewhere in the NHL if it’s possible. If not, he’s probably going back to Europe. I can see Seattle possibly giving him a chance, but I’m not sure if he sticks, because of his concussion issues. Sven definitely better than Vesey in a top six role. 

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Sven definitely better than Vesey in a top six role. 

Pretty sure that Vesey was just a plug to fill a hole in the lineup to help the Canucks finish out the season. Same holds true for a number of other players that they brought in at the time. The big difference was in their respective cap hits. If Sven's cap hit was only 900K like Vesey's, he probably would have played during the season.

Not that Baer would want to, with the way things were handled, but with the Canucks looking to have 3 scoring lines, it looks as though we need another winger with offensive upside. Maybe offer a PTO for 3LW? Baer - Miller - Podz? Before he got injured, he had a ppg rate of a high end 3rd liner...

Edited by Chickenspear

1 hour ago, Chickenspear said:

Not that Baer would want to, with the way things were handled, but with the Canucks looking to have 3 scoring lines, it looks as though we need another winger with offensive upside. Maybe offer a PTO for 3LW? Baer - Miller - Podz? Before he got injured, he had a ppg rate of a high end 3rd liner...

IMO Baer isn’t a top 6 player on a Cup contending team. He isn’t heavy enough physically and doesn’t play a heavy enough game. OK for regular season but definitely not for Cup play. It is all about where you invest the TOI over the next 2 years in prep for serous Cup contention. This isn’t Baer.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

IMO Baer isn’t a top 6 player on a Cup contending team. He isn’t heavy enough physically and doesn’t play a heavy enough game. OK for regular season but definitely not for Cup play. It is all about where you invest the TOI over the next 2 years in prep for serous Cup contention. This isn’t Baer.

That's my take too.   Baer will help any team get into the playoffs, but will disappear during the run.  Plenty of players fit that description.  It's the ones who elevate their games during the playoff run that are valuable.  But for the right club, pressing to play post-season, he might be a fit.  I hope so.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Never said he was a 2nd line forward, and I agree, but could be a potential candidate for the 3rd line.

1 hour ago, Chickenspear said:

Never said he was a 2nd line forward, and I agree, but could be a potential candidate for the 3rd line.

I wasn’t clear enough on the 2nd line comment. It is my take that Baer has to play top 6 on most teams to be effective. 

• 1 month later...

I truly question how he was handled here. I felt he could have been given more of a chance to prove himself... especially given the lack of forward talent we've had over the last few years.

I know he wasn't without his defensive warts but he had pretty good chemistry with Bo at one point and it's hard to think he couldn't have done better than a few of the more useless plugs we've been forced to watch.

12 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I truly question how he was handled here. I felt he could have been given more of a chance to prove himself... especially given the lack of forward talent we've had over the last few years.

I know he wasn't without his defensive warts but he had pretty good chemistry with Bo at one point and it's hard to think he couldn't have done better than a few of the more useless plugs we've been forced to watch.

I think the same, honestly. As you say, he wasn't great defensively, but certainly not abhorrent and he looked to be a reliable 20-goal, 40-point middle six guy when it seems like the team inexplicably locked him in the AHL. I'm eager to see if he still has the drive to prove himself in Vegas. He's almost 29 years old now, so he might be reaching the end of what could've been his prime years.