The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

4 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Can Sven be called up to the big club (if injuries happen)? He really looks like he doesnt belong in the AHL

From what I can tell from looking at capfriendly's recall and assignment list ( https://www.capfriendly.com/transactions/recalls-reassignments ), yes, players on the taxi squad can be rotated down to the AHL to get some games, and vice versa, but cross border quarantine rules would apply for any of these. Say we swap Baertschi up for player x, he'd have to sit for 14 days before joining the team/taxi squad. If Van isn't going to play guys like Rathbone, Michaelis at some point, I'd like to see a swap happen. 

Edited by Chickenspear

31 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

From what I can tell from looking at capfriendly's recall and assignment list ( https://www.capfriendly.com/transactions/recalls-reassignments ), yes, players on the taxi squad can be rotated down to the AHL to get some games, and vice versa, but cross border quarantine rules would apply for any of these. Say we swap Baertschi up for player x, he'd have to sit for 14 days before joining the team/taxi squad. If Van isn't going to play guys like Rathbone, Michaelis at some point, I'd like to see a swap happen. 

But that's why we reached an agreement with the Jets to assign 3 players to the Moose, so we can effectively have a "taxi squad" of 9 players ..... 6 official and 3 others already in Canada.  I dont see any of Baertschi, Lind or Gadjovich getting called up to sit idle for 2 weeks with just 12 weeks left in the season

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

The way the Canucks have played, I don't know why Green keeps rolling the same terrible lines and doesn't try to bring someone like Baertschi up to just shake up the play a little bit. He of all people deserves a proper chance.

Instead Virtanen and Gaudette get countless games where they do nothing but play bad defence. Baertschi is much more solid defensively and has worked his a$$ off to get back into the NHL, give the poor guy at least 1 game to see what he can do.

4 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

It’s simple. The Canucks attack puts them in bad defensive position and playing man on man Our players are unable to keep up with their checks and do the assignment well, so the result we see Is ultimately this poor performance. 

Yep that's the Vcr/Green system. 

• 1 month later...

Indeed!!

Sven with a goal and an assist in their 5 -1 win.  Good chemistry with Jasek. And wears an "A"

(Although it was actually his 3rd of the season ... maybe his 1st with the "e" dropped from his name and the umlaut placed over the "a" instead)

Edited by Googlie

16 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Did Baer run over Benning's dog in the summer? We've gone down to about forward #18 on our depth chart with all our injuries and he wasn't even added to the taxi squad. Is Baer really number 20-22 on our F depth chart?

No kidding. Have been wondering the same thing. 

41 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Did Baer run over Benning's dog in the summer? We've gone down to about forward #18 on our depth chart with all our injuries and he wasn't even added to the taxi squad. Is Baer really number 20-22 on our F depth chart?

He's not a fit for our team...out he goes! 

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think Green has decided that Baertschi isn’t an option for the bottom-six, so he’d never draw into the lineup unless there was a clear need for a scoring winger (and one that couldn’t be filled with current depth options, or a waiver pickup).

Also, Baer seems to have really embraced his current situation, and by all accounts, is approaching his AHL stint like a true pro, providing veteran leadership, roster stability in Utica, and helping develop the young players, and share his experience and wisdom with the kids (guys like Jasek have spoken positivity about his impact).

It might very well be the case that Baertschi has asked not to be called up, unless it’s actually for a legitimate lineup role, rather than just being there as a spare body for insurance.

Going though travel and quarantine, just to sit on the taxi squad or be a healthy scratch, probably isn’t something he wants to do, at this point in his career, and especially during the pandemic.

Of course, if a real lineup spot opened up for him as a top-six winger, it’d be a great opportunity for him to showcase himself to try to earn another NHL contract, once he hits free agency. But I suspect that opportunity hasn’t ever been in the cards, so he’s just waiting out his contract, and trying to make the best of a bad situation.

Where is Sven. He shows as no games played in Utica this year. Not one. 

On 4/15/2021 at 2:49 AM, rekker said:

Weird. Hockey DB has nothing for him this season. 

Well, that is not correct.

Hockey DB has Sven listed as Baertschi. https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=120612

Originally his name is written like this: Bärtschi. But Baertschi is also okay.

Edited by the harry

On 4/14/2021 at 12:56 PM, MattJVD said:

So much irony around Baer, JB put himself in a serious Cap situation when he signed Ferland.  Ironic how they were seemingly concerned about Baer’s concussion situation and how he doesn’t fit their system so they decided to bury him in place of Ferland and Gaudette.  Now Ferland has played minimal games and out indefinitely with concussion issues and Gaudette is gone because he doesn’t fit their system.

All egos and burned bridges in my mind