The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

28 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

“. Leivo, despite his point production, was one of the best on the team at coming out of board battles with the puck.” I doubt that the Canucks valued it that much, because if they did, they could have bought out Baertschi and kept Leivo - if your theory was correct... but the didn’t - so I don’t buy your theory. After the experience with Baertschi over multiple concussions, and granted Ferland’s style, surely signing him to an equally big contract was simply a huge mistake that continues to this day. I wouldn’t call Ferland’s play in his current circumstances fearless, perhaps stupid or rash is more apt.

I am talking about last season when Leivo (one of the players) beat Baertschi for a roster spot. They did value it because Baertschi was sent down and they kept Leivo with the big club. Leivo was getting the chances, just not the bounces to bump his stat numbers up. With that said, they wanted to bring Leivo back this year, but I guess with his recent injury and we found other options like Hawlyruk, they decided to move on.

With Ferland, perhaps it's foolish for him to keep playing his game despite his concussions, but that's just how he's wired to go full out. He wasn't playing tentative like Baertschi did. When both players are healthy, Ferland is the superior player in many facets. They took a risk. It didn't pay off like they'd hoped for.

13 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Baer is a great guy by all indications. Bottom line is he is 28 years old. His ppg over 291 NHL games is 0.47. His best season was 4 years ago at 18 g + 17 assists = 35 points. He has never played a full season. IMHO he has to play top 6 in the NHL and I don't think he will ever get there. The Canuck depth has past him bye and the fact that no other NHL club picked him up should surprise anyone. 

13 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Yeah that's kinda my point. He wasn't elite enough offensively to have deficiencies elsewhere. I thought he was progressing and becoming more engaged physically and defensively, but unfortunately the concussions happened. I think if management didn't sense that he was a bit tentative, then he could've been suitable for a 3rd line spot 

It’s way too early to write off Sven as a serviceable NHL professional. IMO he did the right thing taking his concussion seriously and taking the adequate time off before competing again. I think the best handling of a concussion incident is that of Sidney Crosby. The guy took more than a year off to recover and he’s been better for it in the longterm. Likewise Sven can be a quality contributor and a key player to rotate in this year. The guy is still a good hockey player with good offensive instincts that can add  some extra skill to any line. A 20-25+pt season would be respectable and definitely possible and much welcomed secondary scoring. 

Edited by Setyoureyesontheprize
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

“. Leivo, despite his point production, was one of the best on the team at coming out of board battles with the puck.” I doubt that the Canucks valued it that much, because if they did, they could have bought out Baertschi and kept Leivo - if your theory was correct... but the didn’t - so I don’t buy your theory. After the experience with Baertschi over multiple concussions, and granted Ferland’s style, surely signing him to an equally big contract was simply a huge mistake that continues to this day. I wouldn’t call Ferland’s play in his current circumstances fearless, perhaps stupid or rash is more apt.

That would affect our cap next year, when we will need every penny we can scrounge up for EP & QH.

Don’t think buying out Baer was a legitimate option. Best to just ride it out and have him off the books completely at the end of this season.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

It’s way too early to write off Sven as a serviceable NHL professional. IMO he did the right thing taking his concussion seriously and taking the adequate time off before competing again. I think the best handling of a concussion incident is that of Sidney Crosby. The guy took more than a year off to recover and he’s been better for it in the longterm. Likewise Sven can be a quality contributor and a key player to rotate in this year. The guy is still a good hockey player with good offensive instincts that can add  some extra skill to any line. A 20-25+pt season would be respectable and definitely possible and much welcomed secondary scoring. 

Sven was playing professional hockey up until the shut down. He didn't take the time off to recover. He likely felt that he didn't want to be away from family possibly because he felt he would just be on the outside watching anyway or he had some health concerns related to covid, which we don't know about. I'm not writing him off, but unless he fixes whatever management was looking from him, it's unlikely he returns unless we need healthy bodies.

6 hours ago, D-Money said:

That would affect our cap next year, when we will need every penny we can scrounge up for EP & QH.

Don’t think buying out Baer was a legitimate option. Best to just ride it out and have him off the books completely at the end of this season.

Also only saves roughly $600k over simply waiving him. As you said, not worth it for the additional penalty next year.

Now a 50% retention trade could perhaps be worthwhile. Just need to find a dance partner (not easy, given Covid cap).

35 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Personally, I would love to see Baertschi succeed and secure a roster spot.  I can't see that working out for cap reasons though unless Ferland is in fact on LTIR and Baertschi is the Canucks' "addition" at forward with that cap space.

The 4-6 man "taxi squad" can be used to save cap by putting louie and Sven on it...just read that today...it seemed to imply that the whole salary was saved not just the million or so under normal "send down" conditions....

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

The 4-6 man "taxi squad" can be used to save cap by putting louie and Sven on it...just read that today...it seemed to imply that the whole salary was saved not just the million or so under normal "send down" conditions....

Oh yeah?  Missed that tidbit.  That would be an incredible development for the Canucks.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

This is what I saw in terms of how it affects the cap. Has there been an update? If not, then same rules apply to burying a player in the minors, which includes waivers as well for those that require it.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

This is what I saw in terms of how it affects the cap. Has there been an update? If not, then same rules apply to burying a player in the minors, which includes waivers as well for those that require it.

Yeah, basically like bringing part of your AHL team along, with the same salary implications as having those players in the minors.

Would be hilarious if the NHL created a loophole, however (don’t think they did, but would be funny).

Of course, if there was a way to hide salary and we exploited it, they’d just claw it back on the next CBA and create another recapture penalty.

To me it is not whether the Canucks can find a place for Baer to play in January. It is all about whether there should be an expectation that he would still be on the roster in 2-3 years. Fitting him on a 3rd line makes no sense and he is not good enough to be a top 6 on the Canucks now. The org depth has passed him bye.  

12 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Bringing Baertschi onto the roster gives him a chance to prove he can play in the NHL and that his concussion issues may be a thing of the past. That gives us a chance to move him as the year goes on.  If we have a young RW in our black aces - it will permit us to have him near at hand to work on what he needs to work on, and step in if Baertschi can be moved.  Baertschi played well in Utica last year - he is still soft skilled, less inventive than Goldobin, but a step up defensively compared to him. Right now it looks like Baertschi is guaranteed not to move unless he can prove he has value in the NHL. 

I seem to recall that Pearson plays either wing, so there may be a fit with Pearson and Horvat. Horvat has grown as a player and that may help get the most out of Baertschi.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Well aside from the last tweet by TSN Rick Dhaliwal... Baertschi is dreaming if he thinks he is getting a call up by the Canucks.  He would have been loaned to Winnipeg if that was a realistic option.

I hope these guys owned their own Twitter and there weren’t TSN accounts so they can keep folks apprised of their futures.