The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

Gaunce is so well positioned defensively , that he doesn't need to be skating top speed to catch up to the play.

If you can be where the puck will be before it arrives, you don't need too end speed, it's when you have trouble thinking the game (Brandon Reid) that's when you're skating becomes an asset.

I think he even said it himself, that he feels that he doesn't really need to exert himself if he is in position, or something like that? Can someone confirm?

But yes, let him along with Fox and Shinkaruk spend time and dominate the AHL, hopefully Simmilar to what the oilers did I OKC

ya I read an article that when gaunce was asked about his speed he related to other players just wasting energy when it isnt needed. hes so good position wise that hes already there and doesnt need to skate like the wind to get there.

IM SAYING THAT YOU MAY BE RIGHT ABOUT SUTTER MISSED THE EVALUATION ON GAUNCE AS WELL AS SOME OTHERS. ANFD YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT FANS SHOULD BE MAKING THEIR OWN OPINIONS ON PLAYERS RATHER THAN LISTENING TO SUTTER. YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT MONAHAN BEING AND EARLY CUT. HE PLAYED THE LAST SCRIMMAGE GAME AGAINST USA IN THE SUMMER CAMP. IM NOT SURE HE WAS EVER CUT. SO YIU ARE WRONG ABOUT THAT. AND TOO STUPID TO REALIZE IT. YOU CANT EVEN DO SIMPLE RESEARCH WHY SHOULD ANYONE LISTEN TO YOU ABOUT ANYTHING ELSE?

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/Team-Canada/Men/Junior/2013-14/Summer-Camp/Schedule-Results/Aug-10-CAN-USA

Who the hell taught you English? I need to find this person and slap them in the face.

• Upvote 1

IM SAYING THAT YOU MAY BE RIGHT ABOUT SUTTER MISSED THE EVALUATION ON GAUNCE AS WELL AS SOME OTHERS. ANFD YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT FANS SHOULD BE MAKING THEIR OWN OPINIONS ON PLAYERS RATHER THAN LISTENING TO SUTTER. YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT MONAHAN BEING AND EARLY CUT. HE PLAYED THE LAST SCRIMMAGE GAME AGAINST USA IN THE SUMMER CAMP. IM NOT SURE HE WAS EVER CUT. SO YIU ARE WRONG ABOUT THAT. AND TOO STUPID TO REALIZE IT. YOU CANT EVEN DO SIMPLE RESEARCH WHY SHOULD ANYONE LISTEN TO YOU ABOUT ANYTHING ELSE?

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/Team-Canada/Men/Junior/2013-14/Summer-Camp/Schedule-Results/Aug-10-CAN-USA

Friends don't let friends post angry-caps.

• Upvote 2

Found it. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/for-belleville-s-brendan-gaunce--there-s-no-crying-in-hockey-194647701.html

“I just want to play with pace,” said Gaunce, who works out in the summer with fitness guru Gary Roberts. “That’s a big thing for me. Some people think that I don’t always play a high-tempo game and I can give you my reasons why I don’t play with a high-tempo all the time or full pace all the time.”

So let’s hear it.

“You want my honest answer?”

Of course.

“Some people skate around the ice and they do nothing,” explained Gaunce. “But it looks good because they’re skating hard, but they’re not doing anything or accomplishing anything. What’s the point of wasting that energy if that’s all you’re going to do?

“Fans love it when players go hard and check the boards – miss the guy – they think that’s energy. But ... that’s wasted energy. That’s just my opinion.’’

No matter what people think – whether it’s a former NHL coach, the fans or even the media – Gaunce says he’s comfortable charting his own course in the game.

“People can brand me however they want. They can brand me as a fourth-liner. It doesn’t bother me that much. I know what I need to do in the summer and I know what I need to do to be an NHLer, and that’s it.”

He is a BEUT

GAUNCER!!! HE's legitimately smarter than some coaches. He's a new age player, ROR style guy, who makes the smart play, and executes well.

Wouldn't suprise me if Gaunce had a season with as little pims as ROR did this year.

ROR had 16 goals and 50 assists is his draft year with Erie.

Gaunce had 28 goals and 40 assists.

Gaunce is a decent 2nd line centre and great 3rd line centre. Book it!

Found it. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/for-belleville-s-brendan-gaunce--there-s-no-crying-in-hockey-194647701.html

“I just want to play with pace,” said Gaunce, who works out in the summer with fitness guru Gary Roberts. “That’s a big thing for me. Some people think that I don’t always play a high-tempo game and I can give you my reasons why I don’t play with a high-tempo all the time or full pace all the time.”

So let’s hear it.

Of course.

“Some people skate around the ice and they do nothing,” explained Gaunce. “But it looks good because they’re skating hard, but they’re not doing anything or accomplishing anything. What’s the point of wasting that energy if that’s all you’re going to do?

“Fans love it when players go hard and check the boards – miss the guy – they think that’s energy. But ... that’s wasted energy. That’s just my opinion.’’

No matter what people think – whether it’s a former NHL coach, the fans or even the media – Gaunce says he’s comfortable charting his own course in the game.

“People can brand me however they want. They can brand me as a fourth-liner. It doesn’t bother me that much. I know what I need to do in the summer and I know what I need to do to be an NHLer, and that’s it.”

I like the way he thinks. Really smart guy, glad to have kids like him & Horvat in the system.

Man, that interview. That's the kind of player that wins you cups. That's the player you want captaining your team. He looks like he has the fire, and is ready to prove any detractors wrong. I predict he's in the NHL by the end of next year, whether he makes it out of training camp or works his way up from Utica.

Yep. He is likely our most NHL ready center prospect. I think Horvat has a higher offensive ceiling, but I think Gaunce's game will have less trouble transitioning to the NHL next season. However, Horvat might have a better chance to make the team out of camp since he either stays or is gone for the season back to junior.

Man what a smart kid. Thinking like that he'll only get better with age and experience. I mean that in he will learn more how to use that energy at the right times. Turn his amp to 11 when he needs to and conserve with positional play when he doesn't. This will get more accurate with every game he plays.

So let’s hear it.

Of course.

Gotta love this kid's confidence. He has the maturity of a much older player. I think he'll do very well in the NHL.

• Upvote 2

I like with gaunce how he is under the radar like Merci said, Schroeder received more criticism and pressure than Gaunce has at this pt in development, maybe because expectations were lower? I do not know but Gaunce has a really solid chance of being a serious contributor to our team in max 1 year, if he does not make the team in camp, after 1 yr in Utica I think he will be NHL ready.

I am also a Gary Roberts camp fan which is encouraging.

Edited by R3aL

When David Krejci was drafted did you think he had 1st line potential? Exactly.

Won the cup as 1st line center.

You don't even know who has true first line potential.

It's up to the player, fans label players way too fast.

all the more reason to draft well and draft a lot

• Upvote 1

ya... so? clearly that camp meant nothing... domi and gaunce played well the entire camp yet didnt make the team. thats why its called and EVALUATION CAMP. you know to evaluate. he vould have just been done EVALUATING monahan. at the end of the day sutter wanted him on the team whether he cut him or not. he just wasnt available.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/sports/nhl/story/1.2462160

He "vould" have? Dreaming of Draisaitl perhaps? Draisaitl-Gaunce-Kassian? Can't wait for prospects camp.

[Just kidding around - not poking the bear.]