The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

Willie doesn't have a choice. It's up to Benning and Linden.

This team is building for the future. Passing up on extra picks in the draft to keep players you plan to let go is about the worst strategy this team can have now. It's not worth maybe winning one round in the playoffs.

Hard choices to make and hate to see these guys go but probably the right thing to do long term. Maybe a prospect could be gained in return as well instead of just draft picks who may be several years away.

Hard choices to make and hate to see these guys go but probably the right thing to do long term. Maybe a prospect could be gained in return as well instead of just draft picks who may be several years away.

Yea picks or prospects are good. Both are building blocks for the future.

The 2016 draft should be all about D-men. If we could get a couple extra 1sts, a 2nd, and a solid D prospect at the trade deadline, we'll be in good shape.

Look at what LA gave up for Sekera. McKeown and a 1st round pick. If we can get that for Hamhuis or Vrbata we should take it and run. We have a chance to add 3 or 4 high end D prospects in next years draft. Gotta take full advantage of that.

Higgins, vrabata, Hamhuis 100% need to be gone by the trade deadlibe

hamhuis - late first

vrabata - 2nd, 3rd maybe just a late first depending on season

higgins - 3rd

that would give us 8 picks in the first 3 rounds (includes the 2nd for 3rd swap we are doing with PIT. If CBJ makes the playoffs I bet they give us their 2nd but I doubt they make it)

imagine what JB can do with 8 picks in 3 rounds

Edited by Canucks Curse

Higgins, vrabata, Hamhuis 100% need to be gone by the trade deadlibe

hamhuis - late first

vrabata - 2nd, 3rd maybe just a late first depending on season

higgins - 3rd

that would give us 8 picks in the first 3 rounds (includes the 2nd for 3rd swap we are doing with PIT. If CBJ makes the playoffs I bet they give us their 2nd but I doubt they make it)

imagine what JB can do with 8 picks in 3 rounds

I\d rather see good, young prospects than picks, to be honest.

• Upvote 2

If WD thinks that all he needs to do to keep his job is to scrape this team into the playoffs just to get out coached and lose in the first round then he is dead wrong. 

As this year goes on we could see gaunce and shinker and maybe pedan get call ups. That means he could be looking at at 5-7 rookies in the lineup at once. Next year I think is a contract year for him and we certainly will have more youth in the lineup then so if he can't handle young guys he is gone.

you really want JB trading for prospects, after the Vey and Baertchi blunders?

I agree that Vey was disappointing. Given that he Canucks sent him through waivers to Utica  probably LA would have waived him as well and the Canucks could have picked him up for nothing. But he is helping Utica and, in particular, seems to play well with Shinkaruk.

I think it is a bit early to be too negative about Baertschi. It would have been nice to see more by now, but he does not look too far off. The next few months will be important.

But I agree that I would rather see Benning acquire and keep draft picks instead of trading picks for prospects. From what we have seen so far (and from Benning's career overall) his biggest advantage seems to be in assessing young (pre-draft) talent. So the Canucks emphasize the draft. 

• Upvote 1

I agree that Vey was disappointing. Given that he Canucks sent him through waivers to Utica  probably LA would have waived him as well and the Canucks could have picked him up for nothing. But he is helping Utica and, in particular, seems to play well with Shinkaruk.

I think it is a bit early to be too negative about Baertschi. It would have been nice to see more by now, but he does not look too far off. The next few months will be important.

But I agree that I would rather see Benning acquire and keep draft picks instead of trading picks for prospects. From what we have seen so far (and from Benning's career overall) his biggest advantage seems to be in assessing young (pre-draft) talent. So the Canucks emphasize the draft. 

It might take Sven B 40 games to show something. I am seeing more battle in his game and is handling the puck more. Thought his Buffalo game was good. Fans put way to much stock in this kid after the trade. His success could depend as much on his line mates as his own game. Confidence is everything. He will feel pressure from Gaunce and Shinkaruk the way they are playing as well.

you really want JB trading for prospects, after the Vey and Baertchi blunders?

It's a good strategy to pick up players who are ready or close to being ready to play.  For this team especially.  Most draft picks don't play for 3-5 years (21-23 years old).

Vey was not a blunder because he did well as a rookie 10-14-24 and filled the role as 13th forward logging 74 games last year.  He just didn't play as well as he was hyped up to be.  As for this year, who predicted that a sub 180 lb McCann was going to make the team and where did Adam Cracknell come from?  In that respect, Vey was insurance and a pick well spent.  He still is insurance as the 6th centre. 

The jury is still out on Baertschi.  After what he did in the Buffalo game, I think he got the message that he has to play more between the dots.

Don't forget, 1 in 3 2nd picks don't play at all at the NHL level and only 1 in 3 play more than 100 games.  Vey is at 94 and Baertschi is at 82.

• Upvote 4

Would NSH go for:

to NSH

hamhuis

vrbata

Jensen

van 2016 1st

to VAN

seth jones

NSH 2016 1st

I don't think Nashville trades Seth Jones - just because he's a foundational piece. I don't think your ask is far off though given the value of Hammer and Vrbata (if he picks up his scoring) to a contender is much greater than them separate - I had said this is the best strategy on another thread (ie send them to Montreal or Washington, Pittsburgh, Rangers etc).

That being said (digressing since this thread is on Gaunce, sorry for derailing folks), I would think we should move them to Washington who has a strong stable of youth, wants to win with Ovi now and could really use these guys to put them over the top. They are ready to 'go for it', and have not been in a better position since ovi was there.

Hammer and Vrbata to Washington

Bowey/1st/2nd

• Upvote 2

I guess my point is I think JB is better at the draft, than at the trading part.

I agree his drafting is really good.  I wouldn't  say his trading neccessary poor though.  He gets deals done something we haven't had in a while.  You could say Bonino, Sbisa, and McCann for Kesler was a little lite.  But as we all saw he flipped Bonino and a 5th (forsling) for a great player like Sutter.  You can argue ya we gave up a 2nd for a 3rd but at the end of the day he got made up what he lost in a situation where his hands were largely tied.  He didn't let Kesler sit and fester he dealt him and got a really good return.  His drafting skills helped make that deal even sweeter with the value of Forsling and the emergence of Canner.