The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

So I heard that Gaunce got in some reps at his natural position when he centered Utica's second unit PP last game. Anyone have more details? Just a shift or two, or did he get significant minutes playing at center? Any even strength or just the power play?

I thought the Canucks had pretty much decided that Gauce was better on the wing. Never heard a clear statement of the strategy but I thought the idea was that he did not have the kind of quick acceleration you like in a center (although I admit Henrik is not quick) but that he did have good top speed. But I also heard the comment about learning to play a "heavy game". I did not really understand why playing the wing helps that more that playing center, although I guess wingers spend more time in puck battles along the boards.

/\ good to see.

is his ceiling pretty much a 3rd liner?

II think most people do have 3LW as the probably ceiling for Gaunce but some might have has his ceiling as the 4th line. If Gaunce becomes a solid 3rd liner I think we should all be happy. At this stage there is no guarantee he even becomes an NHL regular although he has apparently been doing well lately.

At least he has the size and strength and defensive ability to probably be able to play bottom 6 in NHL. Shinkaruk lacks the size and strength and Jensen lacks the defence and consistent intensity, so those two guys are pretty much top 6 or bust.

I like Gaunce and I hope he does well.

• Upvote 2

Gaunce has looked huge out there in Utica, playing against men, and judging by his stat-line hasn't been bad defensively either which is the most important part of a young centerman's game. I'd like to see both he and Shinkaruk get some NHL games in next season, even if it's only 10ish games.

Ideally we let Richardson walk in the off-season, keep Matthias cheaply and have Gaunce as our first center call up from Utica (after Vey switches to center, so Gaunce would come in if we had 2 injured centers or 1 and Vey injured).

Jensen - 30/40 games next season

Shinkaruk - 15 games

Gaunce - 10 games

So I heard that Gaunce got in some reps at his natural position when he centered Utica's second unit PP last game. Anyone have more details? Just a shift or two, or did he get significant minutes playing at center? Any even strength or just the power play?

Gaunce was centering for Jensen and Shinkaruk on the 2nd unit PP and actually won a face off which is a rarity for the Comets PP. At even strength Gaunce is on the wing with Zelweski centering and Bancks the opposite wing.

I seem to recall the coach saying Gaunce was being "loaned" out to the wing berth to improve his battling and make him utilise his strength and size more.

I took from that, it was a temporary coaching thing designed to broaden his experience and improve him prior to reverting back to centre eventually

I think the reasonning for Gaunce being a winger, is they really see NHL potential in him. With Henrik, Bonino, Horvat and later on Cassel and McCann, i'm not sure Gaunce would have a spot in the top 9 at center.

So they probably figure they'd move him to the wing to see if he could ever be a top 9 (or top 6 winger, wishful thinking). If not, a switch back to 4C would not be that hard of a transition for him.

I think Gaunce has all the tools to be an effective top 9 player in the NHL, his only question marks would be, can he adapt to/follow the NHL pace.

Edited by timberz21

I think the reasonning for Gaunce being a winger, is they really see NHL potential in him. With Henrik, Bonino, Horvat and later on Cassel and McCann, i'm not sure Gaunce would have a spot in the top 9 at center.

So they probably figure they'd move him to the wing to see if he could ever be a top 9 (or top 6 winger, wishful thinking). If not, a switch back to 4C would not be that hard of a transition for him.

I think Gaunce has all the tools to be an effective top 9 player in the NHL, his only question marks would be, can he adapt to/follow the NHL pace.

Definitely.

Potential is there. Let's just hope he becomes something for us. He's such a great, underrated player around these boards. I think he should stay in Utica for at least another 2 years to fully develop. He's those kinds of guys that you need to be patient with. He's got a great toolbox and I hope for the best of him.

Horvat 3rd line +PK and possibly PP

Gaunce forth line

For next year

Why rush him?

Let him ease in Utica. I say a few more years in the minors wouldn't hurt and a couple of short NHL stints as an injury replace. Patience is the key word.

• Upvote 4

Definitely.

Potential is there. Let's just hope he becomes something for us. He's such a great, underrated player around these boards. I think he should stay in Utica for at least another 2 years to fully develop. He's those kinds of guys that you need to be patient with. He's got a great toolbox and I hope for the best of him.

I would actually be ok with him spending another year in Utica next year and having Green develop his leadership skills.

I thought the Canucks had pretty much decided that Gauce was better on the wing. Never heard a clear statement of the strategy but I thought the idea was that he did not have the kind of quick acceleration you like in a center (although I admit Henrik is not quick) but that he did have good top speed. But I also heard the comment about learning to play a "heavy game". I did not really understand why playing the wing helps that more that playing center, although I guess wingers spend more time in puck battles along the boards.

II think most people do have 3LW as the probably ceiling for Gaunce but some might have has his ceiling as the 4th line. If Gaunce becomes a solid 3rd liner I think we should all be happy. At this stage there is no guarantee he even becomes an NHL regular although he has apparently been doing well lately.

At least he has the size and strength and defensive ability to probably be able to play bottom 6 in NHL. Shinkaruk lacks the size and strength and Jensen lacks the defence and consistent intensity, so those two guys are pretty much top 6 or bust.

I like Gaunce and I hope he does well.

There's never a guarantee as it's up to the player to succeed, but it's his first pro season so I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet.

I would LOVE to see him centering either the 3rd or 4th line down the road, like you said, he has the size and strength and he's good in his own end.

We could have some serious two way center depth 5 years from now B)

Edited by Tystick

There's never a guarantee as it's up to the player to succeed, but it's his first pro season so I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet.

I would LOVE to see him centering either the 3rd or 4th line down the road, like you said, he has the size and strength and he's good in his own end.

We could have some serious two way center depth 5 years from now B)

Also reputed to be good on FACEOFFS(!). As are Cassels and McCann, btw.

You misinterpreted him - he's not saying that Gaunce won't be a NHL regular, but that it hasn't been proven yet. OP clearly likes Gaunce and hopes he does well, but all he's saying is that based on the here and now, Gaunce hasn't shown enough to guarantee himself as a sure-fire NHL regular