The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

Low first round picks (like Gaunce) do always even make the NHL. If Gaunce becomes any kind of NHL regular I think that will be a good result for him. He had a decent year in Utica but he will have to make significant progress next year if he is going to challenge to make the Canucks the year after.

For sure - at the end of the first round you are either taking gambles or picking bottom 6 players.

I am more confident in him having an NHL career over Shinkaruk, but if Shinkaruk does make it he will be a top six guy.

During a prospects game Vancouver had Guance at LW and Horvat at C. Guance was criticized for playing high on the fore check while Horvat went deep. They were probably being coached that way but I saw Guance reading the play quite well at the time. He appears slower than some so I am curious if his foot speed has improved after a AHL season. He is bigger than Horvat.

My understanding of Guance is that he is very motivated and will do what is required to be successful. I suspect that if physical play is part of it then he will include that in his game. It is all about how he is coached in Utica as that will be what he brings to the NHL. A long Calder Cup run will be a huge benefit for these young prospects.

I'd be happy if Gaunce turned out to be a Malhotra type player for us.

Even more so if he's able to replicate the Samuel Pahlsson of 06/07 during the Ducks' cup run.

thought he looked just as good as Pahlsson (when he was a Canuck, so past his prime) in his first preseason with the Canucks.

solid defensively and chipped in a few goals

gaunce will probably be our second liner in his prime, that being said, he's already made great strides in improving his game (and transitioning to left wing), so if he keeps this up he may flirt with the first line every now and then too. I could see him lining up on horvat's left side every now and then.

Have always liked his eye, hand coordination. Could totally see him on the power play, parked in front of the net, making life difficult for everyone.

Basically another Shawn Matthias. Which is a good thing because he's still on entry level while Matthias will want to get paid.

Easy replacement for the future.

Higher hockey IQ.

I'm impressed with his ability and motivation to learn and adapt his game.

I think he'll have a better career than Shawn.

• Upvote 1

Basically another Shawn Matthias. Which is a good thing because he's still on entry level while Matthias will want to get paid.

Easy replacement for the future.

Higher hockey IQ.

I'm impressed with his ability and motivation to learn and adapt his game.

I think he'll have a better career than Shawn.

Besides the higher hockey IQ, he also seems to have that added "will" that players who find another gear for big games, playoffs etc have that Matthias seems to lack. Otherwise they do have similar skill sets.

So a Matthias who can read the play better and has more "try". Sounds good to me :)