The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

I've been really impressed with how Gaunce has developed with just one year of pro hockey on his resumé. I expect him to be one of the first call ups on Willie's list this year. I don't like to compare players but I can see him starting the season like Horvat, playing responisble in all zones and when adjusted to the pace he'll start putting up some decent points. Something like 50 games and 15 points.

Which would be a pretty good rookie year and something to build on for the furture. Hopefully he can develop into a 15-20 goal scorer who's playing a lot of tough minutes.

Interesting how much faster both Gaunce and Horvat have become. There is a technical side to skating that even top junior players don't necessarily get schooled in. People tend to think of it as an inherent characteristic of a player but it can change, up to a point at least.

I've posted this video a couple times from training camp last year, showing these guys working on their skating. The foot speed is there for both and it's really hard to tell them apart. It's apparent this is the biggest thing they continue to work on.