The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

14 hours ago, TimberWolf said:

If we expose granlund, Sbisa and Gaunce, we're losing Gaunce. 

Gaunceled Weapon? 

1. We don't need to expose Granny.

2. Given a choice between a guy who potted almost 20 goals this year (most likely reason he didnt is because his season got cut short), who is defensively sound, a bit of a puck-hound and though below average for a C, way good for a Winger at the face-off and a guy who has <5 goals after 50+ games in the same season, every single team will pick the former. Ie, if we expose both Granny and Gaunce, if Vegas chooses a forward, it will be Granny ever single time.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, canuckistani said:

1. We don't need to expose Granny.

2. Given a choice between a guy who potted almost 20 goals this year (most likely reason he didnt is because his season got cut short), who is defensively sound, a bit of a puck-hound and though below average for a C, way good for a Winger at the face-off and a guy who has <5 goals after 50+ games in the same season, every single team will pick the former. Ie, if we expose both Granny and Gaunce, if Vegas chooses a forward, it will be Granny ever single time.

No doubt Granlund is protected. He was one of if not the most exciting Canuck this year, seemed like every time he was on the ice something could happen. 

I sure don't want to see Gaunce go either it seems inevitable that Vegas will end up choosing between Gaunce and Sbisa and end up taking Gaunce. I say this because of the quality of defensemen that other teams have to expose is very high so Vegas will be looking for forward depth from Vancouver. Not to mention, Gaunce just seems like a Gallant type of player.

1 hour ago, GarthButcher5 said:

No doubt Granlund is protected. He was one of if not the most exciting Canuck this year, seemed like every time he was on the ice something could happen. 

I sure don't want to see Gaunce go either it seems inevitable that Vegas will end up choosing between Gaunce and Sbisa and end up taking Gaunce. I say this because of the quality of defensemen that other teams have to expose is very high so Vegas will be looking for forward depth from Vancouver. Not to mention, Gaunce just seems like a Gallant type of player.

I am hoping that Benning has a deal cooking with McPhee that protects the roster. Does Gaunce have an offensive upside? Many fans think he is a plug. A pretty disparaging tag for any hockey player who actually skates a NHL game. IMO we do not know what Gaunce's ppg upside is. What I do know is he has decent speed, nice size and can play a nice physical game. His play on the 4th line this season had that line dominating on the boards in the ozone in lots of games. Both Granny and Baer had many more NHL games under their belts to draw from. Comparing them with Gaunce is not particularly worthwhile.

Back to size. Gaunce has it, the Canucks as a team do not. Watching the Oilers-Sharks game last night should turn some light bulbs on for fans. The Oilers have size and use it pretty effectively. To be competitive the Canucks have to get a lot bigger. Is there room for Granny and Baer? Big centers with a few smaller wingers might work.  

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I am hoping that Benning has a deal cooking with McPhee that protects the roster. Does Gaunce have an offensive upside? Many fans think he is a plug. A pretty disparaging tag for any hockey player who actually skates a NHL game. IMO we do not know what Gaunce's ppg upside is. What I do know is he has decent speed, nice size and can play a nice physical game. His play on the 4th line this season had that line dominating on the boards in the ozone in lots of games. Both Granny and Baer had many more NHL games under their belts to draw from. Comparing them with Gaunce is not particularly worthwhile.

Back to size. Gaunce has it, the Canucks as a team do not. Watching the Oilers-Sharks game last night should turn some light bulbs on for fans. The Oilers have size and use it pretty effectively. To be competitive the Canucks have to get a lot bigger. Is there room for Granny and Baer? Big centers with a few smaller wingers might work.  

I concur.

Gaunce, as a 2-way player, as produced in every level he has played in, except for the NHL so far. 

He is pretty much a PPG player in the AHL.  So if you extrapolate it to the NHL, and if he's given more ice-time and legit NHL linemates, he should easily put up 20-30 points as a 3rd liner.  Gaunce has got the size, the strength, has improved his footspeed a lot (not quite to the level of Bo though), and is doing the little things right.  It's way too soon to write him off.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

I concur.

Gaunce, as a 2-way player, as produced in every level he has played in, except for the NHL so far. 

He is pretty much a PPG player in the AHL.  So if you extrapolate it to the NHL, and if he's given more ice-time and legit NHL linemates, he should easily put up 20-30 points as a 3rd liner.  Gaunce has got the size, the strength, has improved his footspeed a lot (not quite to the level of Bo though), and is doing the little things right.  It's way too soon to write him off.  

Love Gaunce.  I think having Malholtra really helped Gaunce accept (at the NHL level) he needs to be a defensive minded, hard to play against fourth liner.  If the guy would learn to fight, he would never lose his spot in the line-up.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

I agree that barring trades, Vegas will be choosing between Gaunce and Sbisa. But don't agree that they will take Gaunce. Not only is Sbisa more proven at the NHL level, but also Dmen have more value. If LV has 6 Dmen better than Sbisa, they will trade him. And they will get more for him than they would get for Gaunce.

Torn labrums don't give you immunity?  This expansion draft is so complicated, I have no idea who Vegas would pick.

An early prediction was Gaunce but McPhee has done many simulations himself.  He said it always turns out different because they're learning the rules and have taken multiple strategies.  He says he won't know for sure who he takes until he has the final exposure list from every team.

On 4/13/2017 at 4:51 PM, Lancaster said:

I concur.

Personally I think Grandland was a mirage, I don't think you'll see anything close to what he did this year again and I predict he's out of the league in 3 years

I wanted to keep Gaunce anyway, but the injury report makes me feel it is definitly the right thing to do

You need solid bottom 6 players you develop yourself in this league, the revolving door of minor league stiffs has to stop somewhere, let's take our time with this guy and see how far he can go, he our first round pick who has shown he can bring some qualities the team needs, I think in order to grow a solid team we need to keep guys like Gaunce too,

Expose Grandland and let's keep OUR player

15 minutes ago, terrible.dee said:

Personally I think Grandland was a mirage, I don't think you'll see anything close to what he did this year again and I predict he's out of the league in 3 years

I wanted to keep Gaunce anyway, but the injury report makes me feel it is definitly the right thing to do

You need solid bottom 6 players you develop yourself in this league, the revolving door of minor league stiffs has to stop somewhere, let's take our time with this guy and see how far he can go, he our first round pick who has shown he can bring some qualities the team needs, I think in order to grow a solid team we need to keep guys like Gaunce too,

Interesting take on Granlund. Considering his brothers success in Minny I will reserve judgement. I like his game to date and actually think he had a stronger season than Baer. If I was worried about either one being out of the NHL in 3 years it might be Baer.

I agree with your take on Gaunce. Vancouver is woefully undersized and losing him could be a set back. His attraction to Vegas could easily be a CAP one as McPhee takes CAP on in exchange for pprospects and picks. Gaunce could end up being a cheap option that fits in his cost structure. I doubt he is protected however. Because of the d-side of the Canuck situation (losing a top 4) I still hope that Benning has a deal cooking with Vegas to avoid significant loss.  

23 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Interesting take on Granlund. Considering his brothers success in Minny I will reserve judgement. I like his game to date and actually think he had a stronger season than Baer. If I was worried about either one being out of the NHL in 3 years it might be Baer.

I agree with your take on Gaunce. Vancouver is woefully undersized and losing him could be a set back. His attraction to Vegas could easily be a CAP one as McPhee takes CAP on in exchange for pprospects and picks. Gaunce could end up being a cheap option that fits in his cost structure. I doubt he is protected however. Because of the d-side of the Canuck situation (losing a top 4) I still hope that Benning has a deal cooking with Vegas to avoid significant loss.  

I agree, I think Gaunce is actually the most underrated player in the Canucks system. The kid is a beast defensively, and he has the tools to eventually contribute offensively especially if he gets linemates better than Chaput, Skille, Megna.

I know the organization is pushing him to wing but I think he is more valuable as a centre. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

Yeah we should definitely get rid of him.  Played 0 minutes, scored 0 points.  Why would we keep him?

Edited by SamJamIam
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2017 at 7:47 PM, Crabcakes said:

Torn labrums don't give you immunity?  This expansion draft is so complicated, I have no idea who Vegas would pick.

An early prediction was Gaunce but McPhee has done many simulations himself.  He said it always turns out different because they're learning the rules and have taken multiple strategies.  He says he won't know for sure who he takes until he has the final exposure list from every team.

I almost feel though with his torn labrum it might become a risk for Vegas to select him.  They would have to communicate with Vancouver's medical doctors to get the prognosis on his recovery, have to check him out medically to see if he is clear, and going through all that process may not be necessarily worth their trouble.  They may possibly choose a player with less injury history, which I fear they might target Reid Boucher.

but yeah i agree, such a toss up with all the conditions and moving parts.  will be interesting to see

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I almost feel though with his torn labrum it might become a risk for Vegas to select him.  They would have to communicate with Vancouver's medical doctors to get the prognosis on his recovery, have to check him out medically to see if he is clear, and going through all that process may not be necessarily worth their trouble.  They may possibly choose a player with less injury history, which I fear they might target Reid Boucher.

but yeah i agree, such a toss up with all the conditions and moving parts.  will be interesting to see

I was thinking the same thing......LV might bypass him.  Which I am happy about.

But....I also don't want them to pick Boucher either  :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

To me Gaunce is more valuable to a contending team than Granlund. Granlund has a very replaceable skillset. Gaunce can be a leader shutdown 4th line C (arguably already is), with the potential to chip in valuable offense every now and again. He's got the size, leadership traits, grit, shutdown skills, and faceoff ability to be that new age 4th line C that teams will be looking for. Gaunce also already has playoff performer written all over him. That's not to say he is irreplaceable, but to me, Gaunce brings a more valuable skillset to the table than Granlund.

3 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

To me Gaunce is more valuable to a contending team than Granlund. Granlund has a very replaceable skillset. Gaunce can be a leader shutdown 4th line C (arguably already is), with the potential to chip in valuable offense every now and again. He's got the size, leadership traits, grit, shutdown skills, and faceoff ability to be that new age 4th line C that teams will be looking for. Gaunce also already has playoff performer written all over him. That's not to say he is irreplaceable, but to me, Gaunce brings a more valuable skillset to the table than Granlund.

I don't think we have seen peak performance by either player. That's obvious I know. I am more interested in how particular players fit in a roster with the ultimate goal of creating a serious CUP contender. IMHO both these players have that potential. Granlund might have cracked 50 points if not injured. Gaunce was snake bitten on goal posts this season but his real value could be a 3C or 4C with high end defensive awareness. He has the size and smarts to make that happen.