The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

5 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

I disagree, Garland was playing at a 65 point pace on a poor Arizona team last season and is close to 50 points with close to no PP1 time pacing third line minutes throughout the season. Currently second on the team in 5on5 production behind Miller.

Analytics have him as a legit top 6 play driving winger. He is so good at creating opportunities and makes his line mates better.

Garland has been on the ice for 34.3% of our PP this year so far, so definitely not PP1, but he's still being given a fair bit of time. I do think he would have a few more points with that PP1 time, but Garland has a very poor PPGF/60 of PP time this year at just 2.21. By contrast, he's being beaten out by Hoglander, Pearson, and Chiasson in that category, all of whom also play on PP2.

However, it's not all bad with Garland and I think it's important to remember that he started the year on fire and was solidly on pace for 60+ points before slowing down a ton once Boudreau came in. I really like him and still think there could be a long term role for him here in Vancouver.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Not that Miller is amazing defensively, but I wouldn't say Bo is better than Miller. IMO Miller's got a better stick and reads in the d-zone and has been relied more on the PK.

It's more when Miller gets frustrated or careless that turn into weak defensive plays.

I would agree with this statement somewhat. Miller is sometimes lazy when he gets frustrated, but when he's playing his game, he's a fairly solid two-way guy who plays extensively on the PK. I'd say he's a better defensive guy than Horvat at this point.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Fred65 said:

And replace him with who on D

They have the assets to work a trade for a better and younger RD than Myers.  Whether they

want to do that or not, who knows.  They could look at trading Boeser for Marino or Durzi.

Maybe look at acquiring Marino.  It could well be worth it to utilize the 1st if they can pick up a

young, but NHL dman (such as Durzi). 

It remains to be seen what the management has in mind and how long the fans will have

to wait  to see a positive outcome.

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Garland has been on the ice for 34.3% of our PP this year so far, so definitely not PP1, but he's still being given a fair bit of time. I do think he would have a few more points with that PP1 time, but Garland has a very poor PPGF/60 of PP time this year at just 2.21. By contrast, he's being beaten out by Hoglander, Pearson, and Chiasson in that category, all of whom also play on PP2.

However, it's not all bad with Garland and I think it's important to remember that he started the year on fire and was solidly on pace for 60+ points before slowing down a ton once Boudreau came in. I really like him and still think there could be a long term role for him here in Vancouver.

I hope your right. 

A part of me wonders if Francesco had fired Benning and Green sooner, whether this season could have been salvageable. 

And if Boudreau had a full season with the boys, I wonder if the team right now would be in a solid position for the playoffs. 

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I would agree with this statement somewhat. Miller is sometimes lazy when he gets frustrated, but when he's playing his game, he's a fairly solid two-way guy who plays extensively on the PK. I'd say he's a better defensive guy than Horvat at this point.

The key is when he’s frustrated, he essentially doesn’t play well. He throws his tantrums on the ice. I love his fire, but he can also die by the fire as well. 

10 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Fair point, but quality of line mates matters a lot in that circumstance as well, especially for Garland being a playmaker.

If he took Boeser's place on the first unit then he would average 3:10 of PP time instead of 1:41 playing with Pettersson/Miller/Hughes/Horvat instead of OEL/Pearson/Chiasson/Hunt, huge difference.

Horvat set a new career high with his 28th goal tonight. His points haven't been amazing (not bad either), but his goal-scoring this year has been to his best level yet. Due to his current hot streak in goals, he's now on pace for 33 goals in 77 games.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Horvat set a new career high with his 28th goal tonight. His points haven't been amazing (not bad either), but his goal-scoring this year has been to his best level yet. Due to his current hot streak in goals, he's now on pace for 33 goals in 77 games.

Bo paced for 42 points/82 games under Green and then 66 points/82 games under Boudreau this year including a covid battle. Another player who has quietly played much better since the coaching change.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Bo paced for 42 points/82 games under Green and then 66 points/82 games under Boudreau this year including a covid battle. Another player who has quietly played much better since the coaching change.

Yep. All of that despite Boudreau disrespecting him at times. Remember this one? “Bo played like a TRUE captain tonight”.

Bo has scored 20 + goals in 6 of his 8 seasons as a Canuck. Much of those  seasons he has done so without needing quality linemates. 

Still see arguments from media and Canucks social media personalities that Bo needs top six wingers. However, me thinks Bo easily can make 20 goals without much fuss as long as he has PP1 time and his wingers just get him the puck and grind away. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Bo has scored 20 + goals in 6 of his 8 seasons as a Canuck. Much of those  seasons he has done so without needing quality linemates. 

Still see arguments from media and Canucks social media personalities that Bo needs top six wingers. However, me thinks Bo easily can make 20 goals without much fuss as long as he has PP1 time and his wingers just get him the puck and grind away. 

when you go back and look at what Bo's had for line mates and see how consistent he's been despite that, its really something. 

4 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

Yep. All of that despite Boudreau disrespecting him at times. Remember this one? “Bo played like a TRUE captain tonight”.

Bo is THE Team Captain. Being compared to other Team captains should come with the territory. He is supposed to lead the team shift after shift after shift. Goodness gracious, sometimes, I feel like we're treating him as if he's a first-year Team captain as we seem to put this bubble around him. When he screws up, he needs to be accountable - "I screwed up with that play in OT" and not "_we_ need to play better." There were a few games during the Canucks' slide when he was simply not putting in the effort - all you need to do is look at those games and look at the past few games and you'll see the noticeable difference. I think his performance the past few games should be the standard for him and when he doesn't meet that, yeah, he's not fulfilling his role as the Captain - especially in this crucial time. And if you think those expectations are too harsh, then we need to find another team captain who can handle that load.

Edited by Vinny in Vancouver

1 hour ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

There were a few games during the Canucks' slide when he was simply not putting in the effort - all you need to do is look at those games and look at the past few games and you'll see the noticeable difference. I think his performance the past few games should be the standard for him and when he doesn't meet that, yeah, he's not fulfilling his role as the Captain - especially in this crucial time.

I guess you aren’t aware that Bo was hit really hard by a second case of COVID? In which it was revealed not too long ago that his recovery from it was very tough but he kept playing? Even noted Canuck hater “J-Pat” had to come out later an amend his previous criticism of Horvat due to this revelation. But somehow I doubt you will because it doesn’t fit your particular narrative about Horvat. 

1 hour ago, Locke Lamora said:

I guess you aren’t aware that Bo was hit really hard by a second case of COVID? In which it was revealed not too long ago that his recovery from it was very tough but he kept playing? Even noted Canuck hater “J-Pat” had to come out later an amend his previous criticism of Horvat due to this revelation. But somehow I doubt you will because it doesn’t fit your particular narrative about Horvat. 

Did he (NOTE: not the media) actually use that as his excuse? Show me. Oh, and if you think Boudreau was being disrespectful of Horvat even though Bo had this good excuse, then Boudreau should not be our coach. But if Boudreau was calling it as he sees it, then I go with Boudreau more than whoever your sources are. As an aside, I like Bo as a player and deserved the recent praise. But I think when he screws up, he should be held accountable - even moreso since he's the captain. As I said, that comes with the territory - this is his team. I think my standards of Captain Bo are higher than yours - I have Bubble Bo as my standard - he sacrificed time with his newborn to lead the team to glory during that time both on and off the ice.

Edited by Vinny in Vancouver

On 4/2/2022 at 2:48 PM, Alflives said:

That’s what fans do.  :towel:

Can we afford Petey, Miller, and Bo?  (7.5 + 8.5 + 6.5). ?  

Tampa - Kucherov 9.5, Stamkos 8.5, Point 6.75, Hedman 7.875

Colorado - Rantenen 9.25, Landeskog 7.0, MacKinnon 6.3, Makar 9.0

Can we afford not to keep our best players?