The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brandon Sutter | #20 | C

-SN-

On 4/21/2019 at 9:48 AM, Crabcakes said:

I agree with this, he was positionally good which was great for Hughes.  What I'm driving at is, don't be surprised if he's not re-signed.  The Canucks badly need to revamp their D and Schenn is a likely casualty because if Benning can add to the top 4, then guys like Schenn will be pushed out.

I could easily see us signing him regardless of other top 4 options but IMO it will be him and Biega fighting for the right side 7/8 D spot, the other will be in Utica (until injuries).

I considered him to be a good candidate as a interim captain for us for a season or two, before Bo.

I still think he has a great Sutter rep that has leadership skills for good bubble teams that get pannicky in the playoffs. He's a steadying influence,good for 

young pups to learn off of. Shut down guy, great defensively, helps on FO's. WTH he's a Sutter! 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Hairy Kneel said:

I considered him to be a good candidate as a interim captain for us for a season or two, before Bo.

I still think he has a great Sutter rep that has leadership skills for good bubble teams that get pannicky in the playoffs. He's a steadying influence,good for 

young pups to learn off of. Shut down guy, great defensively, helps on FO's. WTH he's a Sutter! 

I like Sutter too, when he’s healthy.  Bo is our Captain though.  

7 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I was thinking after Hank. For a year.

I see.  Yes, I agree.  I also don’t get why we didn’t have one of the experienced guys (Sutter, Edler, Tanev) take the Captain role until their contract expired, or they’re traded?  Then Bo steps in.  

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

With his ability to score off the rush and two way ability, could he be Bo's winger to complete a secondary scoring/shut down line?

I have two thoughts:

1. It would depend on his ability to get back to his previous form. The 2018-19 Sutter was not a top 6 forward at all, but the older versions we saw was at least a fringe top 6 guy.

2. It seems wasteful to have two top faceoff guys on the same line.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Edmonton could use him as well.

I'm a big Sutter fan, but if anyone offers you a second for him, you take that and run away laughing. His value will be far more if he can have a strong start to the season to show that his injury hasn't derailed his career.

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'm a big Sutter fan, but if anyone offers you a second for him, you take that and run away laughing. His value will be far more if he can have a strong start to the season to show that his injury hasn't derailed his career.

i like sutter too, not sure if nextyears draft looks like, but i think if we do end up trading sutter should be next year at TDL, get people to bid for him if were not in the playoffs, again.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I want to know where Sutter's future lies. We just added yet another forward. I am assuming we will shed some contracts. Does Sutter play on beagles wing with Motte? 

I could see us keeping Sutter until January when Roussel comes back from his injury. Then flipping him before or at the TDL.

On 4/22/2019 at 7:04 AM, Boudrias said:

It becomes a question of how you improve your d-core without hurting the longer term goal of being CUP competitive in 3 years. I

You let two elite youngsters, Hughes and OJ, develop and be the dominant players they were at every other level they played in.   You bring along Woo who has nice potential.   You hope on of Brise or Ute can make the jump.   You perhaps get lucky with Tryamkin.   You have steady influence of Edler for a few more  years.   You either have same with Tanev or you move him for alternative.    You see Stecher gain confidence from being on the Team Canada squad at World Championships where he looked anything but out of place.   

The Canuck dcorp is not the wasteland everyone thinks it is - is need a bit of time for the youth they have and just one or two additions (perhaps by subtraction like Hutton for example) and they have a credible situation.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RowdyCanuck said:

And virtanen ends Being forum whipping boy cause his stuck playing on the same line. 

Yep, would like to see Sutter shifted to the wing on our shutdown line. Free up Jake to play on a line with a younger skilled centre.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-UFA (Connoly)

Leivo-Gaudette-Virtanen

Baertschi-Beagle-Sutter

Motte

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Yep, would like to see Sutter shifted to the wing on our shutdown line. Free up Jake to play on a line with a younger skilled centre.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-UFA (Connoly)

Leivo-Gaudette-Virtanen

Baertschi-Beagle-Sutter

Motte

I agree...from the games I watched and lil time Green gave virtanen with Bo...I thought they played good together. Hopefully Green plays them together for awhile....most nights due to lack of skill Green would shuffle him back to the third line.....