The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson | #44 | D

-SN-

11 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

At this point, I would be thrilled with anything less than $4M. I could live with up to $4.25. I wouldn't be that happy with $4.5M, but I would trust that Benning knows more than I. If it went to something like $5M, I would be frustrated.

Would depend on the length of the deal at that price point for me.

4 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Time will tell. Open market, I think he would get about 5 x 5. A lot depends on how much he likes playing here and how much risk he wants to take.

He's been having injury issues the last couple of years, 4.5 signed an in the bank now, he doesn't have to worry about sustaining something a little more serous during the rest of the season that would cause other teams to really steer away from him July 1st.

He said a few months back that going to UFA isn't necessarily the way to go and pointed out Russel (oilers) as an example of things not going well - remember?.  I don't think there are many teams out there who would offer him that kind of money and term for what he brings.  He seems to know that as well.   For him i think what he wants is term and some kind of limited NTC rather than getting top dollar.   I would be surprised if it is less than 4 years and for that reason I suspect probably right around the 4 mil mark and even a bit less if he gets a limited NTC.  There is the louis Eriksson model of taking crazy money and then having to live with unrealistic expectations and criticism or the burrows model which was take less and always be considered a good value asset.  From what I see with Guddy he is clearly a guy that doesnt want to be a overpaid guy.  But in return as he as even said himself he wants stability which means term and some control over a trade.  We love trade season but the players absolutely detest it and players will give up serious money to get it.

Edited by samurai
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Isam said:

For me, 4.1 over four is fair and is in and around the range of guys like manson.

Hmm, if I had to choose between Manson and Gudbranson, I'm not sure Gudbranson would get a thought.....I'm okay with what he brings to the table, but I'm not okay paying a 3rd pairing guy with injury issues that kind of money when he brings about 10 pts a season to the table and doesn't bring more toughness than Biega most nights.  We'd have to be banking on the fact that we haven't seen the best that he can be, that he's going to grow measurably as a defenseman under our watch.  I'm not sure if I'd be willing to lock into that kind of bet at this point.

4 minutes ago, Solinar said:

Hmm, if I had to choose between Manson and Gudbranson, I'm not sure Gudbranson would get a thought.....I'm okay with what he brings to the table, but I'm not okay paying a 3rd pairing guy with injury issues that kind of money when he brings about 10 pts a season to the table and doesn't bring more toughness than Biega most nights.  We'd have to be banking on the fact that we haven't seen the best that he can be, that he's going to grow measurably as a defenseman under our watch.  I'm not sure if I'd be willing to lock into that kind of bet at this point.

Inflation is a bitch, but its the market for a guy like guddy.

3 minutes ago, Isam said:

Inflation is a bitch, but its the market for a guy like guddy.

And I'm more than willing for some other team to get handcuffed with that contract, I just don't really believe that the Canucks need that possible anchor hanging around our necks when we already have an Eriksson

I give him 2.5, 2.75, 3.00, 3.00 with million dollar bonus in each year for performance.  Give me 20 pts to go along with all of that intangibility!  You want 2nd pairing money, show me and its yours.

Edited by Solinar

3 minutes ago, Solinar said:

And I'm more than willing for some other team to get handcuffed with that contract, I just don't really believe that the Canucks need that possible anchor hanging around our necks when we already have an Eriksson

I give him 2.5, 2.75, 3.00, 3.00 with million dollar bonus in each year for performance.  Give me 20 pts to go along with all of that intangibility!  You want 2nd pairing money, show me and its yours.

I like your idea of a sliding scale salary for Guddy, but have his actual dollars paid out by the team drop each year.  Something like 6 5 4 3 3.  Then, a cap floor team gets to count a bigger number for a cap hit than they pay in salary when (if) we trade him after year three.  

• Cheers 1

I don't think this is a whole lot different than the consensus on here.  The only thing left out is a NTC.  If such a clause was left out it would make the deal less risky for the Canucks.  Also, if the deal were structured so that a buy out would be possible (ie not like Eriksson's bonus laden contract)

4 minutes ago, Solinar said:

Agree. But the market is dictating this price for the type of dman guddy is. Hell even bobby mac is saying around 4.25 mill. If we are gonna keep him then we have to pay between 4 and 4.5 million

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

At this point, I would be thrilled with anything less than $4M. I could live with up to $4.25. I wouldn't be that happy with $4.5M, but I would trust that Benning knows more than I. If it went to something like $5M, I would be frustrated.

Currently Gub sits as our #6 guy if you look at his Stats (analytics).

I think he's more of a #4 guy on a good depth team. I just don't see him being a 1-3 guy with his (lack of) offence & mobility on a good depth team. ( A guy like Tanev is a #3 guy on a good team @ $4.5 mill. Gub is not Tanev. 

So with that said I believe you're on the right track with being cautious on his pay as he seems to be a #4 guy. How much is a #4 guy worth?. Plus he is a little (or a lot) injury prone as well.

I'm thinking because of his young age I think he'll get at least a 4 year deal but I would like to see the salary (average) around or just under $4 mill per. for a #4 D. Anything else is an over payment and we all know that's probably what he's going to get. 

I'd go as high as a 5 year deal but I would want it at $3.9. (with a limit of a 15 team NTC).

I think 4 - 4.25 would be fine at 3 or 4 years. I was in the move him camp but I'm starting to come around to the idea of an extension. If we sign him would they seriously consider moving Tanev if a good package was offered? I hope so. Bringing Guddy back means someone will have to move at some point, I wonder who it will be. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian

9 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

If it is indeed a 4-year deal, adding a form of NTC if it helps bring the cost down would be no real issue, as he'd only be hitting 30 by the time it ends.

If there is a market for Guddy to get a good return, then I say we hold the cards.  I'd rather not do a longer-term deal with a NTC if we can avoid it.  We all know how the clauses hurt our team after our run, and I'd like to ensure we have an out of need be.  You say it is no issue because he is still young and only 30 then.  That's true, but age and declining isn't the only reason one may wish to get rid of a player.  (My particular concern is his potential back issues).

I'd probably be more sold on this if I was sold on Gudbranson as a player.  But given the one dimension of his game (physicality) I'm already on the the fence about whether he is worth anywhere 4m to us or any other team for that matter.  (Not to say he wouldn't get 4+m on the market.  He would.)  If there was any chance of Tryamkin coming back to our team, I'd far prefer giving him 4 million and having an even MORE physical guy with perhaps better mobility and who can actually maybe pot a few points as well.