The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson | #44 | D

-SN-

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Interestingly, hockey-reference has statistics on this, a stat they call "Thru%", noting what "percentage of shots taken [that] go on net". Based on this metric alone, Gudbranson is actually second last of all Canuck regulars, ahead of only Stecher.

Still, it would be overly simplistic to look at this and say that Gudbranson doesn't create any offense from his shots. A blocked shot or a shot just wide of the net can still create offense; a shot doesn't necessarily have to be on net to create a scoring chance.

Hockey-reference also talks about shot attempts, but I was more interested in shot attempts/game, since Guddy has missed a good number of games. After figuring out the information, Gudbranson still sits at 18th out of 21 regular Canucks (Goldobin included, Burmy and Dors excluded). So, unfortunately, the verdict is that Gudbranson doesn't get his shots directly on net and he doesn't try to shoot much to begin with. All that said, the point I made earlier still stands and chances could be coming out of the few shot attempts he does have. He also finally hit the score sheet a while back and again the game after, so maybe he'll get more.

Another note is that "offense" isn't limited to shots. Passes create offense too and that's far harder to record and find data on.

Huh, interesting! Clearly my un trained eye misses that. I would have actually thought both of those players would be doing well in getting shots through. Shows what I know!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, EBataleon said:

Has anyone ever done an analysis of injuries to Canucks defensemen with Guddy in, and out of the lineup? I figure it is probably pretty hard considering the sample size, and time injured. Just thought I would ask.  

That’s an interesting idea.  Do you think more guys get hurt without Guddy?  He does do a lot of the dirty work.  Ekblad isn’t do as well now that he’s picking up parts of Guddy’s job back in Florida, right?

17 minutes ago, EBataleon said:

Has anyone ever done an analysis of injuries to Canucks defensemen with Guddy in, and out of the lineup? I figure it is probably pretty hard considering the sample size, and time injured. Just thought I would ask.  

This would be interesting to know, but it's probably not tracked, so you'd have to manually figure it out probably.

Guddy's job isn't particularly to create offense anyway. He plays high d zone starts, PK's and against largely higher QOC.

I like to say that he creates offense 'by proxy'. By playing those harder minutes and situations, he opens up time, space and opportunity for our smaller and more offensive players to produce in those less taxing situations.

Not dissimilar to what Kesler and Malhotra would do at forward to open up times, space, match ups etc for the Sedins back in their hey day. 

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Guddy's job isn't particularly to create offense anyway. He plays high d zone starts, PK's and against largely higher QOC.

I like to say that he creates offense 'by proxy'. By playing those harder minutes and situations, he opens up time, space and opportunity for our smaller and more offensive players to produce in those less taxing situations.

Not dissimilar to what Kesler and Malhotra would do at forward to open up times, space, match ups etc for the Sedins back in their hey day. 

That true someone has to take those minutes and be successful at them to get the talented players more offensive minutes. But what is that value of a player like that?

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

That true someone has to take those minutes and be successful at them to get the talented players more offensive minutes.

:rolleyes:

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

But what is that value of a player like that?

5f91584182fd7272b1f6b8647b40932691eb50fc

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 4:20 PM, mll said:

The way Green answered that question it didn't sound like he was concerned.  Green had him in Portland and would know which side he plays best.

Warmup lines for #Canucks vs. Anaheim tonight on @Sportsnet650:

Vanek-Gagner-Boeser
Sedin-Sedin-Goldobin
Granlund-Dowd-Eriksson
Gaunce-Chaput-Boucher

Edler-Stecher
Del Zotto-Tanev
Pouliot-Gudbranson

•  
    1 1 Reply
  •  
    1 1 Retweet
  •  
    4 4 likes
    On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 2:41 AM, Canuck Surfer said:

He sat Hutton when that happened.  Played Pouliot on the left & as the lone PP D with a four forward set.  Our best 6 are;

Edler Stecher

MDZ Tanev

Pouliot Guddy

And it appears he will do again?

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Crazy not to re-sign Gudbranson,. He is a solid hockey player, and we look physically weak on the D core without him.

Big hole to fill if he is gone,  and we already could use another player like him.

He didn't look very physically engaged tonight. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He didn't look very physically engaged tonight. 

It was there enough for me to see PB,.  it also looked like Anaheim was trying to keep Getslaff and Kessler away from EG and Pouliotte.

I like it when Biegga is in the line up,  the heads are up a little more, and we are less dependent on one guy (EG) to xhaust himself trying to be a physically only involved player.

Easy to see, that either Tanev or Edler will be injured again shortly, don't you think?

I hope we move Tanev before he becomes more of a depreciating asset.

18 hours ago, aGENT said:

He's a solid 3rd pairing d. :bigblush:

• Upvote 1

I've been a huge Guddy fan and supporter since his trade, but last night was super disappointing.  A physical team that was taking a pound of flesh out of us and Guddy did nothing to deter the other team.

Last night at the end of the game, Chris Wagner took a shot at Brock Boeser, who was literally right beside Guddy, and you know he saw it, yet Guddy didn't respond.  yeah we had lost the game, and no point stirring up crap, but you just don't let your superstar goal scorer take a cheapshot from a scrub like Wagner.

I've defended Guddy, but I've come to terms that his reign is very much likely coming to an end, and how he has looked the past few games, as if he has already mentally left signifies his heart was never here to be a Canuck.  Reminds me of Brandon Prust all over again.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I have to say, I somewhat agree. I think that, unless Guddy improves a bunch from now until his contract-signing time, he shouldn't get a dime more than $4M. Even that is a bit high for my liking. I think we've seen little to show that he's earned any sort of a raise over his current deal of $3.5M. I'd be hesitant to give him a raise and I'd offer something along the lines of 2 years at $3.5M with no other stipulations (NTCs or anything). If he pushes for more, send him packing for another young defenseman or picks.

I do not disagree but suspect the market will give him both term and +$4 mil. Kinda of resigned to his being dealt. Once he is gone the Canucks will be looking for another player who does the same job. How the Van d-zone is viewed by opposing teams changes when he is playing. I often wonder how Tryamkin would have viewed his season if Gudbranson had played with him throughout last year? I see Gudbranson giving the young players more support than what I see from Edler. That might not be anywhere close to being valid, just a bleacher view. 

• Like 1