The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson | #44 | D

-SN-

18 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Blasphemy!

I'm thinking Scotch Ale or Porter.

Gudbranson is definitely not an Irish surname, and Guiness is almost a stout. Guddy is not stout.

And although it could be Germanic, Gudbranson rolls off the tongue easily went pronounced with a Scottish accent.

Scotch Ale is always a strong beer to boot.

Edited by luckylager
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, luckylager said:

Gudbranson is definitely not an Irish surname, and Guiness is almost a stout. Guddy is not stout.

And although it could be Germanic, Gudbranson rolls off the tongue easily went pronounced with a Scottish accent.

Vikings invaded everywhere..

Gudbrand’s-son was probably no different than the rest of them..

probably a Blood Ale ;) 

• Cheers 2

On 10/20/2018 at 6:20 AM, luckylager said:

Definitely not a Scottish surname, It's a Nordic/Scandinavian name.

An Akvavit would go down well.

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, wexcar said:

Personally I think it more of a Danish name, especially because of the way he spells Erik, I believe that is the Germanic spelling. 

Danish names typically end in -sen not -son. Erik is also used in every Scandanavian country, including Iceland.

My guess is that it is not a traditional name. From the looks of it it's part Swedish mixed with another European name. 

4 hours ago, wexcar said:

Definitely not a Scottish surname, It's a Nordic/Scandinavian name.

An Akvavit would go down well.

It might be bastardized Norweigen. Gudbrand is an old Norse male first name, and they used to follow the -sson -ssen -sdotter tradition for last names. There are still families in Norway with the Gudbrandsson spelling of the last name according to google. Potential just a gradually modified spelling of that.

7 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

@Scottish⑦Canuck Verdict?

Definitely not Scottish. Although there are islands of Scotland that formerly belonged to Norway - see the Nordic cross in my avatar - Scandinavian surnames are relatively uncommon.

Scandinavian for sure. "Son of Gudbrand". :lol: I'm inclined to say it's a Swedish, Norwegian or even Icelandic name that has been changed slightly over the generations after emigration to North America.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Gudbranson's defensive game is really coming around. I'm hoping now that it's solidified that he can start cracking skulls a bit more.

I feel we need one more gritty D man Phil..  EG can’t be the only one, and at this point is,. Unless the team develops more of a “pack” mentality.

Have to appreciate Gudbranson’s admiration of Petterson’s game.. he will most definitely be keeping an eye out for the young man.

I Still think Tryamkin would be the perfect addition to the D core next season, the way the game is evolving.. both Big men can play the game, and punish opponents physically.. would be nice to see that roll on 2 of 3 D pairings.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Gudbranson's defensive game is really coming around. I'm hoping now that it's solidified that he can start cracking skulls a bit more.

Know one is going out of their way to fight him. :)

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I feel we need one more gritty D man Phil..  EG can’t be the only one, and at this point is,. Unless the team develops more of a “pack” mentality.

Have to appreciate Gudbranson’s admiration of Petterson’s game.. he will most definitely be keeping an eye out for the young man.

I Still think Tryamkin would be the perfect addition to the D core next season, the way the game is evolving.. both Big men can play the game, and punish opponents physically.. would be nice to see that roll on 2 of 3 D pairings.

Sam, While I think the chances of Tryamkin returning are not good I totally agree about needing more physicality on the backend. MDZ always engages but I see him gone after this season. Hutton has the size and is revamping his game so we will see with him. Even with the return of Tanev and eventually Edler, the pairing of Guddy and Hutton have shown they are legit 2 pairing d-men. I still want to see Tanev moved by the TDL and Edler resigned. Joulevi has the size and with maturing might bring a physical side that we have not seen that much of as yet. Woo is wowing in the distance! :)   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Sam, While I think the chances of Tryamkin returning are not good I totally agree about needing more physicality on the backend. MDZ always engages but I see him gone after this season. Hutton has the size and is revamping his game so we will see with him. Even with the return of Tanev and eventually Edler, the pairing of Guddy and Hutton have shown they are legit 2 pairing d-men. I still want to see Tanev moved by the TDL and Edler resigned. Joulevi has the size and with maturing might bring a physical side that we have not seen that much of as yet. Woo is wowing in the distance! :)   

With you on all of this Boud’s,.   Add to your list of D, Rathbone, and let’s not leave out Brisboise.

it almost feels like as we see our new offence surfacing,  the D prospects are just a step behind in that development time line.. and I emphasize “step” as being only about a year .  Next season could bring 2 to 3 new faces ready to compete at a high level on the back end, and those faces coming directly from our farm system that JB has created.

Like you, I beleive Tanev and will move,  thus supplying us with a well scouted players to end up in our farm and arriving in the NHL  2- 3 years from now.

This new decade of hockey in Vancouver looks truly exciting, and I haven’t felt about hockey in this city like this since the arrival of Bure in full flight. :)  

• Upvote 1