The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

4 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Hutton managed 25 pts in 75 games later year. What is a realistic expectation this year points wise. 

I'm hoping for 30. 35 if he finds himself on the top pp unit for a significant amount of time.

I dont thinm 35 is out of reach for him next year at all next year, I've been following hutton oretty close since we drafted him. When he was in for the hobey baker award a few years ago it spiked my interest further. 

This kid has has huge upside, I remember watching him play a couple game online and he looked like a forward the way he attacked. He was always in a good spot defensively, and made smart passes. 

Im a homor so my expectations are inflated but I can see Hutton topping out at 45-50 points at his peak. I don't see why he can't become a number 2 d man in todays NHL

• 1 month later...

looking forward to Hutton this year. 

I don't think it's out of the imagination for him to get 35 points. 

Bo in his first season had 25 points, and he got 40 last year (second season). that's an increase of 15 points. I'm not saying that Hutton will get 40 points, but it's not out of the realm of possibility, especially if he's going to be involved in powerplay time. 

• Upvote 1

Needs to work on improving his shot and defensive game.

His play without the puck in his own zone isn't bad but it isn't great either. People tend to overlook this side of his game because Hutton is so good in his own end at moving the puck, which is a great trait. I do think he will gradually improve on that side of his game as it was only his first year last year and he has good people to learn from. Having Gudbranson as a partner and Tanev as a teammate will definitely help.

His shot is better than most of our players, which is good for him but bad for the Canucks in general, and I just don't feel he utilizes it enough on top of the coaching staff not consistently putting him in positions to do so last season, which was understandable seeing as he was a rookie. That will change though with Hutton taking up a top 4 role. Despite those facts he should try to improve what he already has, if Hutton had the ability where he could consistently hit double digits in goals on top of his puck moving skills and offensive instincts then he would be a very dangerous and key player on a PP for many years.

He doesn't need to assert himself more physically, I don't feel that he need to as that is not the type of player he is. He will also be able to make more of an impact within his physical play when he gains more muscle and weight. If he were to assert himself as physical as he was last year, with improved strength with more weight, I would be content. He is already more assertive in that part of the game than Tanev is and Tanev is our best defenseman defensively and our most consistent.

Improving on those parts of his game seems doable over time. Hutton, to me, is capable of reaching his peak fairly soon in his career(I don't mean as soon as this season, I am being broad) because as a 2nd year player he has a great base to work with and there's not much holding him back from doing so. I feel like I don't even need to be as hopeful because I am pretty confident in Hutton's ability and capability in improving his game.

If there are hockey gods then they blessed us with Hutton after those years with an incompetent D-core. He was definitely a lucky find, thanks MG.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

16 minutes ago, suitup said:

Holy shiznakz, this guy was flying tonight! Loved the speed and skill of his end to ends. Really exciting to see what he can do this season with a better defensive partner in Gudbranson. 

He was definitely playing more aggressively (both in terms of offensively and physicality) with Gudbranson there. I think they'll be a lot of fun to watch going forward.

Hutton and Gudbranson did really well keeping McDavid and Lucic off the scoresheet tonight. They definitely had the top defensive duties and played very well defensively. 

Hutton looked great everywhere tonight. He definitely has a lot of confidence in his skills right now and I can't wait to see all the other tricks he has up his sleeves!

• Upvote 1

I wanted to watch Hutton because he has put on 10 pounds. He was flying last night. Obviously coaching wants to pair him with EG which should give him more of an ability to rush up ice. I also noticed that Hutton was doing more physical battles for puck retrieval rather than fishing for the puck. His ability to puck handle in a crowd is as strong as ever.  

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I wanted to watch Hutton because he has put on 10 pounds. He was flying last night. Obviously coaching wants to pair him with EG which should give him more of an ability to rush up ice. I also noticed that Hutton was doing more physical battles for puck retrieval rather than fishing for the puck. His ability to puck handle in a crowd is as strong as ever.  

What is Hutton up to now? Training camp and Elite Prospects numbers have him at 6'2" and 183 lbs. Is he at 190/195 lbs now?

On 26/09/2016 at 8:00 PM, nzan said:

Remember about exactly one year ago when none of us had ever heard of Ben Hutton?

That's not fair, we had, and rated him about as highly as we currently have Carl Neill.

*cough* Hobey Baker finalist *cough*

Lots of folks knew he was going to be impressive.  Same guys who watched Boeser and couldn't ignore Stecher.  Come by the prospects board some time. ;)

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, ILL BILL NECRO said:

Just imagine if Hutton connected with that hit on Mcdavid. Mcdavid has a large buddy looking to protect him and it seems so does Hutton. It would have been fun to see how that all unfolded.   :) 

ugh...yeah, i'll bet we'll see Lucic vs Gudbranson before too long...it'll be like one of those youtube videos of grizzly bears fighting...

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Canucks recently listed him at 207 and Wikipedia at 208.

Sounds and looks about right to me. I some video of him back home during a workout. He was pretty thick through the torso which made me wonder if he was adding muscle or just enjoying some beer. Don't get me wrong the pics were not showing any flab. Even at 205 with his speed he will be a force.