The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Strombo let go from HNIC, Ron McLean hired.

AriGold

The choice of these two is akin to Hitlery vs Trump.

How could the supposed "world leader" produce 2 such individuals running for such an important post?

Likewise, how could a country populated with shinny-nuts, not produce options for a competent HNIC host?

As Ghosts mentioned, David Amber is head-and-shoulders above these 2 doormats.

I wouldn't say Strombo is clueless when it comes to hockey however he is very Montreal Canadiens focused he comes off as a guy who watches Montreal only and no one else. 

He was decent when Montreal was playing cause he was comfortable with the team and players but too much of a fan boy to bother with any other teams. 

Honestly, I don't watch the pre game, intermission, or post game anyway; and it has nothing to do with Strombo. Just give me the hockey and I'll talk to whoever else is watching the game with me instead. All the punditry is nonsense.

25 minutes ago, HK Phooey said:

For my money, James Duthie would be my choice to host HNIC.  Getting rid of Strombo is the best bit of news...get rid of Kypreos and Healy to complete the trifecta, please.

Kypreos has gotten a lot less biased in the past couple of years. He's actually got some insightful things to say imo. Healey though is an absolute tool and probably the worst "analyst"  in sports, not just hockey. 

I think Strombo would be better suited for a different role within the broadcast. He's a likeable guy, and he does provide a dash of youthfulness that they desperately need. Hopefully he stays on in some respect, but McClean is definitely a better choice as the main host.

Now they just need to get rid of Kyprios. He's the real anchor sinking that ship imo.

1 hour ago, tas said:

i wonder when duthie's contract with tsn is up. 

seems like the logical future of the brand. 

I remember the TSN crew getting long extensions when the whole Sportsnet taking over thing started getting around... Long as in like 10-11 years I believe?

I vaugely remember them all tweeting about it, joking about breaking their own signings. 

Doesn't really matter to me as I never bother with the in-between-period stuff.  I like watching the game but have no time for the jibber jabber.  Usually mute it between periods and do something else.

I used to enjoy Don Taylor as I like his sense of humour. 

34 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Not a fan of Maclean,..but clearly,the majority of viewers were tuning out intermissions,and pre/post game shows ...They had to do something...Having Kypreous,Hrudey and PJ Stock still isn't helping though...

Personally, I think a lot of people were tuning out during the HNIC intermissions (during the regular season at least) because they were recorded and replayed during all of the intermissions of all of the games playing simultaneously. So in order to 'make it fit all of the games' the intermission topics often had little or nothing to do with the game at hand. That's why I stopped bothering anyway. If I'm watching a Canucks game, talk mostly about the Canucks game. If I'm watching a Montreal game talk mostly about the Montreal game, etc.  Their one-size-fits-all intermissions were terrible. They probably saved a pile of money on production by doing it that way, but you get what you pay for.

Archived