The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Dreger: Loui Eriksson "Vancouver's top priority"

- Boston offered 4 years max to Eriksson

- Lucic is headed to FA

- Dean Lombardi has given permission to the other 29 teams to talk to Lucic 

...can't say I disagree with the thought process here if Eriksson is indeed top priority heading into July 1st. Canucks had historical low goal scoring this past season and between Eriksson and Lucic, Eriksson definitely gets the edge in terms of offensive ability. Not to mention the track record of playing with the Sedins internationally, having had great chemistry.

Things to consider:

> Eriksson (30) is 2 years older than Lucic

> Lucic will decline faster given the nature of how he plays the game

> Lucic effects a game even if he's not scoring due to his bruising style

> Eriksson is a left handed shot who plays right wing and can also play left wing if need be

> If Canucks were to sign either at the likely term of 6 years, would have to be careful in regards to handing out a NTC/NMC

*Note*

Incredibly unlikely Canucks sign both Eriksson and Lucic. Will have to be one or the other. Realistically, no team signs 2 of the top 5 free agents in a top heavy FA group. And knowing the Canucks luck historically, they'd be fortunate to even sign one..

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Lombardi gave permission for teams to talk to Lucic?

Why would he do that? Why not trade his rights for a late pick?

Lombardi:  "Luc, you really think you're worth 9 mil a year over 6 years?"

Lucic:  "Yes I do"

Lombardi:  "Go talk to some other teams and get back to us when reality sets in...." 

I don't want Lucic for more than $5.25 million over 3 years.  Tops

I don't want Eriksson for anymore for any longer for the same reasons.

Can we stop trying to sign guys to "play with the twins" when we have 2 already, they're retiring soon; and instead concentrate on making our 2nd and 3rd lines as well as our depth better instead?

There are no deals when signing a UFA, they all want more than they are worth and for too long. In the end we will just be strapped with really bad contacts in a couple years. I wouldn't sign any of them. Let the young guys have the spots and grow into good players with the team, or see who's left that you could get for a couple years.

31 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Lombardi gave permission for teams to talk to Lucic?

Why would he do that? Why not trade his rights for a late pick?

I suspect this will lead to Lucic having days to talk to teams and maybe realizing the Los Angeles offer or scenario is not so bad afterall. I think it might actually be a slick plan by the Kings.

18 minutes ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

I think the offer will be 5 years at 6 mill per for either of them, any higher than that and we will regret it. 

Looks like Loui wants Term, while Looch wants a higher pay 

Exactly. As a team in transition they do not need any longterm contracts as of yet.

Archived