The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

Absolutely love this pick, was a little uncertain wether or not Tkachuk would have been the better choice, but after watching highlights of Juolevi I strongly believe JB made the right choice, great vision and hockey sense and an absolutely BEAUTIFUL wrist shot from the blueline, like wow he has just an incredible release. Solid choice! Welcome Olli Juolevi!

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

I'm very very happy. Juolevi is exactly the kind of prospect we're missing, he projects well, and we didn't take Tkachuk, I don't know how some of you can be so mad.

i know what you mean about tkachuck, he never felt like the right pick to me.  didn't the flames also draft daniel tkachuck?

it seems like a safe pick to me; the other d men MAY have more upside, but we need a stable guy.  he's probably already one of  the most skilled d men we have ever had on our team, and he's only 17.

• Upvote 1

Like a lot of others on here - I was a bit skeptical of the pick when it was first made, but now when you look back at it Juolevi is exactly what this franchise needed. We got the best D man in the draft and have been sorely lacking a PMD. Great pick by Benning.

Granted Juolevi is not Kris Letang, but if you watched the Pens and their playoff run, you see the impact of a true smooth and smart puck moving defenceman.

It's not necessarily the goals that players like Letang get rather it's the impact they have on the flow of the game, on starting the transition game and on reducing the opposition forecheck by preventing the d-men from getting bottled up in their own end.

In looking at his stats by league, he's never scored at less than .5 ppg. With many leagues being at near a point a game playing for Jokierit u16/u18/u20. Do they have secondary assists in those leagues? I know the KHL doesn't. If not than that's impressive.

Edited by WonderTwinPowers

8 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

Why is everyone talking as though we got some kind of offensive D-man?

We Didn't this guy gets what? 45-50 pts in Jr?

IN JR?!??!?

Think people!! Guys who get 100 + points in Jr are lucky to be 20 goal guys in the bigs

We're lucky if this guy tops 25 pts in his career (If he has one)

Once again the offensive purge of this team carries on, we did NOT get a key piece here people THAT is why the CB slingshotted themselves ahead of us, because #3 was the LAST impact pick,

The Bluejackets beat us up and took our lunch money, and we didn't do a goddamn thing about it.

Wow, you're one bitter puppy baby monkey.

The Knights under Dale Hunter are very structured. It isn't really a surprise not to see crazy points totals from him, because he's already playing a pro game. He doesn't put himself out of position and always has his head up. He also plays in every situation PK and PP. That's everything you want from a D-man. I wouldn't say we drafted for position, but given the free agent market and our own prospect pool, it was an excellent choice with Dubois off of the board.

Iv already fallen in love with this kid. He's so pollished and driven, even as a young guy. You can tell he know's he's good but wants to get better and knows what he's going to have to do to make it in to the pro's. He's a rare combination of having such a high game IQ that the transition to the NHL won't shock him and make him look out of place like most guys. He's just got to get a little stronger IMO but then again Lidstrom wasnt the heaviest guy either.

I am over the moon with this pick, he's exactly what the Canucks need. People need to see that.

• Upvote 1

I love Juolevi. Before we even knew we had 5, I was hoping for him (other than Keller) very smooth, very safe D-man. Best in the draft IMO. I would project him at a #3 D-man minimum. I wonder why people are so mad about not getting a scorer. Scoring wingers aren't that rare. You can find 25-30 goal scorers through free agency, and we had no game changing D prospects before juolevi. The only thing I don't like is that we let Tkachuk go to Calgary. He's gonna be a pain to play against. It will be fun seeing him and Virtanen go at it.

• Upvote 1

I keep hearing from different sources that Juolevi was far and away the most impressive interview at the combine. Teams came away extremely impressed with his intellect, personality, and character. It's quite possible that he moved up a couple spots in the rankings simply by virtue of the seemingly universal rave reviews teams had after meeting him. And if you consider that he was probably a consensus 6-8 ranking before the combine, I wouldn't be surprised if several teams (and not just us) had him ranked #4 or #5 after the interviews.

Also, while most people tend to look at the draft in terms of the consensus rankings, none of these public charts (from the scouting services or media outlets) are actually able to reflect the movement in the rankings that happens after the combine and in the days before the actual draft. Picks that seem like "reaches" on draft day might actually be much closer to true "consensus" if you actually looked at the team lists. Not to mention the fact that the best scouts in the world are the ones that are actually working for NHL teams (and not the ones writing blogs) and those guys don't make any of their rankings public. 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Typos
  • Upvote 2

I said it years ago when Benning came in, he had to start drafting defencemen and paying more attention to our pathetic, woeful D. It was the reason we ended up 3rd worst in the NHL and the McCann trade along with the Juolevi draft is proof that Benning knows what our weaknesses are and how to correct them.

Sure we needed a center to replace McCann and Henrik eventually, and that day will come, but right now our biggest urgency was lack of quality defencemen in our current team and prospect pool, and Benning fixed that in the span of a week.

Welcome Juolevi, you're our future #1 defenceman and Juolevi - Hutton - Sbisa - ageing Edler - Tryamkin down that left side is a very decent group of future defencemen. We've now got some quality puck moving ability, shutdown ability and speed on our back end that we've missed since Ehrhoff and Salo in 2011.

• Upvote 2