The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

7 hours ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

I like the Salo comparison in terms of their smarts. Salo was not the quickest or strongest, but was always in position and made the best play possible to get it out of our end. Always felt safe when Sami was back there. Both have a bit of a different tool set, but hopefully its their finnish smarts that make the difference. 

i wasn't comparing their playing styles but how we remember what they did for our team...appreciating them.

22 hours ago, suitup said:

Love this kid, would also like to see him to improve his shot if he goes back to London so he can rip it at the NHL level. 

Improving his shot brings you to think of Tanev who apparently has come to realize ( at last ) his shot is not NHL calibre and is working this summer to improve it. I also see on the Hutton video that he too is working on his shot this summer. Shame they didn't follow Chara's lead when he  used to shoot 200 pucks a day in the summer and did wonder for his game. I sort of question who's giving these guys advise. Hutton tell us all he's shooting 75 !! pucks a day ...go figure 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Improving his shot brings you to think of Tanev who apparently has come to realize ( at last ) his shot is not NHL calibre and is working this summer to improve it. I also see on the Hutton video that he too is working on his shot this summer. Shame they didn't follow Chara's lead when he  used to shoot 200 pucks a day in the summer and did wonder for his game. I sort of question who's giving these guys advise. Hutton tell us all he's shooting 75 !! pucks a day ...go figure 

Hahaha wow 200 pucks a day... I remember when Kesler shot 100 I believe. Honestly if Hutton can work on getting a howitzer (and Juolevi too of course) and then put on mass to handle opponents in the D-zone, then we're going to have some scary defense that can beat you in all 200ft of the ice. Puck handling is definitely there! (Missed watching Ehrhoff in his prime) 

45 minutes ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Joulevi has not played a game yet in the bigs, just wondering what makes you think he is comparable to Salo? 

What's wrong with comparing? 

On 7/26/2016 at 11:31 PM, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Cause right now, he probably does have NHL sense, and NHL decision making, and NHL calibre, but we have to be careful too, although his playing calibre might be NHL ready, his body might not be ready yet.  All it takes is one hit, he's injured out for 6 weeks, and another injury and may start piling not.  Not to mention the physical grind of a NHL schedule, can really wear out a NHL defender espeically if he's not "physically" ready.  Yes he's ready, his body also needs to build up.  I say since he's a defencemen, they take hits alot, takes  a "TON" of hits, send back to the developement, let him eat up 23-24 minutes of ice time in London, let him then learn the physical game in the AHL at around 18-20 minutes of ice time then phase him to top line minutes towards the final 20 games. 

How many hits did Hutton take last year?  Not to say he's physically ready, but Olli is listed as but 4lbs lighter than Ben and is already at least as tall.  They don't play like Tanev, they rely on skating, agility, and quick puck movement.

On 7/29/2016 at 3:03 AM, The 5th Line said:

Come on folks I know everyone just wants him in London so we are able to watch him more often :P  No bias at all, right?  

He really isn't very big at all I saw him in Shawnigan(got his autograph, no big deal) and apparently he doesn't spend a whole lot of time in the gym compared to a lot of other players.  He would have to be some sort of special or quickly become a gym rat if he wants to make the squad.  Junior or Europe would be the smart choice, we need Sbisa, Tryamkin, or Pedan getting ice time so those 3 big bodies can somewhat make up for our small/soft forward group.  Plus the development for those 3  is important as well.

Lindstrom wasn't that big either. He was a defenseman. Just saying....

30 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Nick Lindstrom? You know that guy from the Red Wings?..... he was kinda good.....

I think he was mocking your spelling...but whatever, I think everyone understood who you were talking about.  

If Olli can be a fraction of what Lidstrom was we will have hit the jackpot.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

How many hits did Hutton take last year?  Not to say he's physically ready, but Olli is listed as but 4lbs lighter than Ben and is already at least as tall.  They don't play like Tanev, they rely on skating, agility, and quick puck movement.

Clearly hasn't seen or read about how Juolevi plays. 

Elusive. 

On ‎2016‎-‎07‎-‎28 at 0:36 PM, smithers joe said:

i think that when olie's career is over, we'll be looking at him the same way we look at salo and ohlund now...

That would be awesome, another Salo bomb from the point is just what we need for our struggling PP.