The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

Was at the game last night and spent a lot of time watching Juolevi. Here are the good points:

• Did not panic with the puck.
  • Good decisions on when to help out his fellow D-man without sacrificing his side of the ice.
  • Quick at making the first pass.
  • Good skater.
  • Looked bigger than I expected.
  • Didn't shy away from the hits.

While there wasn't anything necessarily bad about his game, he didn't look like the player I saw when he was playing at the World Juniors. That player was a lot more decisive on the offensive end (like Stecher was last night; based purely on last night's game, I'd pay to watch Stecher; he was that fun to watch, but I digress). One of the main reasons why we drafted Juolevi was based on his supposedly other-worldly hockey IQ. There's nothing that said that it won't come, but he needs to work on that first. Imho, based on the pretty good stable of D-men we have, we keep Juolevi for a few games and send him back to juniors. Next year, I expect he'll play most of the year at Utica as well.

• Upvote 1

I think if a young D can come in and play his first NHL game (preseason or other) and he doesnt get noticed....thats not necessarily a bad thing. He was never touted as an Erik Karlson type D...he is a calm D with high IQ. He will just always be in the right place and for that reason he wont stand out as say a Stetcher or other offensive Dman.

• Upvote 1

Coming straight from Junior, he probably needs a few more games to adjust to the speed and physicality of the game at the NHL level.  What he's doing now is playing it safe and not hurting his team by taking too many chances, which is good to see in a d-man.  He's gonna be a beauty, just give it time.  Might be another year of Junior is the game plan, but you'll see next year a more comfortable pre-season for him, possibly a stint in the AHL and then he'll start busting out.

4 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

From watching the first game Juolevis main weakness is his strength. He reminds me of when the Sedins first came to the Canucks. 

That would be right in line with everything I have managed to see in bits a pieces. Unlike the Sedins, skating is not his issue. 

He he is doing the right thing, and exactly what WD wants. Defence first, don't hurt the team.  Subban did not get that memo. 

He needs to gain strength and size. His offence will come, but this preseason he has to show the coaching staff he can be relied upon in his own end. 

Not flashy, but he looks like he could play the game with a 'cigarette' in his mouth.  KB3 would approve.  

3 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

That would be right in line with everything I have managed to see in bits a pieces. Unlike the Sedins, skating is not his issue. 

He he is doing the right thing, and exactly what WD wants. Defence first, don't hurt the team.  Subban did not get that memo. 

He needs to gain strength and size. His offence will come, but this preseason he has to show the coaching staff he can be relied upon in his own end. 

Not flashy, but he looks like he could play the game with a 'cigarette' in his mouth.  KB3 would approve.  

I'm pretty much Juolevis biggest fan, but I think he would probably get manhandled if he played an NHL season right now. He needs to put on 15 pounds and add strength. In junior, in the best program in the CHL. He says he doesn't bench press? He should start... Get on it JB. 

1 hour ago, messier's_elbow said:

I'm pretty much Juolevis biggest fan, but I think he would probably get manhandled if he played an NHL season right now. He needs to put on 15 pounds and add strength. In junior, in the best program in the CHL. He says he doesn't bench press? He should start... Get on it JB. 

Absolutely 

His biggest weakness is size and strength.  Skating, character and IQ are all very positive. He has the height and can easily add to his frame properly over the next few years. 

This is is the difference between defence and forward. I would not want to see Juolevi get hit you someone like Virtannen for example against the boards. 

He has shown that he was worth the pick and thinks the game well.  We have time with him due to JB's 'retooling' of our d core. The future looks bright on the back end. 

EW. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

He has shown that he was worth the pick and thinks the game well.  We have time with him due to JB's 'retooling' of our d core. The future looks bright on the back end. 

EW. 

In still a bit in awe of how much Benning has transformed our D in a couple short years. 

^^^^. Agree,

We literally had the worst defence in the league last year.  Bart and Webber were regulars and at times Sbisa was our defacto number one d. (Edler, Tanev and Hammer were all injured). Hutton came out of nowhere (Credit GMMG).  

This year, we have a legit top 4, abet without a true number one d. But when have we ever had one?  Sbisa may not even make the starting lineup. Not likely, but we have guys legitmately fighting for spots. Stetcher could easily make it, and problably should if he keeps up his play. 

We could have a top ten d core by the season's end. No true number one, but really good depth from top to bottom. 

2 hours ago, suitup said:

I think there's more to his game then we're seeing. So far a lot of high percentage and very intelligent plays. Once he adapts and gets comfortable, I'm sure we'll all start seeing the flash. 

we saw a cpl flashes of that last night.  two plays that come to mind was the move on the rodin goal and the blind backhand pass across the blue line.  I was on board with tkachuk because dman take longer, but I was happy with oj, and thrilled after watching him in pre-season.

4 hours ago, suitup said:

I think there's more to his game then we're seeing. So far a lot of high percentage and very intelligent plays. Once he adapts and gets comfortable, I'm sure we'll all start seeing the flash. 

A couple years of development and the kid's going to be good.

• Upvote 1

Admitedly, I've missed a lot of the preseason, but from what I've seen of Olli, I have to say, I'm pretty impressed. I expect him to be a top four defenseman and we're getting early gimpses of it. He's smart in the d zone, making high percentage plays and, for the most part, keeping mistakes to a minimum. He's already showing generous amounts of maturity. He's got a great future ahead of him in Vancouver.