The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

12 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

I was impressed with his game, he's just too young and physically immature. I was worried at times he was going to get hurt out there. he was a kid playing against men.  I hope he stays in junior two more years.

Button said he was the best 17 year old d-man he has ever seen at the WJC. He turned 18 in his draft month! Fans have to be patient with this kid. Physically he will grow.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

At the draft, I was saying that if we were taking a defenseman, it should be Sergachev. While Sergachev still does have a very high ceiling, Juolevi has really opened my eyes to his potential as well. I knew that he had the higher hockey IQ and that he would be an NHL player, but I didn't see the same physical traits that Sergachev or even Chychrun had to truly dominate games at both ends of the rink. After watching him now, it's obvious how effective and efficient he is in a quiet way with his hockey sense, in addition to his better-than-I-expected skating and wrist shot. He definitely has #1D potential, and possibly has the highest odds of reaching out of those previously perceived top-3 defenseman.

With that said, his home this year should be in London. Let him add some more physical tools in a safe, proven environment. If he is eligible for Utica in the 2017-18 season, then he should be there, splitting time with Vancouver as well. If he is not Utica eligible in 2017-18, it will make things very interesting. Does anyone know for certain when he is eligible for the AHL?

One of my better friends is a Canadian's fan and will bring up Sergachev any chance he can. I agree that there is more variance between Chychrun and Sergachev reaching a top-pairing defencemen, while Juolevi is more steady. I attribute that variance to how dynamic those two players can be due to their physical dominance in junior, which may no fully translate to the NHL where everyone is a man. That's why Juolevi has a great ceiling is that you can't teach hockey sense.

He does need to work on his skating, though, in my opinion. He's not a poor skater by any means, but his skating reminds me a lot of Dan Hamhuis, and he kind of plays like him too. If he finds a way to hit that next gear and to add some weight, we could have a stud.

Button said he was the best 17 year old d-man he has ever seen at the WJC. He turned 18 in his draft month! Fans have to be patient with this kid. Physically he will grow.

I think too much weight is put into the WJC. It's just too small of a sample size. I watched that shift by shift video of him playing against Canada in the quarters and while he had 3 assists, he didn't play at the level that Button is describing. I think if you base a player's potential off one tournament, then you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Remember Cody Hodgson in 2009?

Edited by junglesniper

On 10/3/2016 at 2:38 PM, Ronaldoescobar said:

No need to rush OJ he will be a cornerstone piece (if not traded for one) in the future.. I could see this year and next in junior followed by 3-4 years in the AHL honing his game against adults before the Canucks bring him up full time.

I would be shocked if it took him that long to make the NHL. Maximum 1 year in juniors. Maybe 2, maybe. 3 or 4 is way too long.

NEWS 1130 SportsVerified account ‏@NEWS1130Sports  9m9 minutes ago

Juolevi on London : "Big goal is to win Memorial Cup again, I want to be the best player in the OHL and play good hockey." #Canucks

NEWS 1130 SportsVerified account ‏@NEWS1130Sports  10m10 minutes ago

Juolevi on #Canucks feedback : " They like my hockey sense but I have to get stronger, I'm not ready for big minutes in NHL."

Juolevi - : "I only got 2 games but the #Canucks have a plan for me, they want me to be there in the future, it's all good."

NEWS 1130 SportsVerified account ‏@NEWS1130Sports  11m11 minutes ago

Juolevi on getting cut : "It was disappointing, I wanted to make the team, I will get better in London." #Canucks

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Sayin all the right things.

He probably knows he's good, but that he is not strong enough - yet.  It's good he got to see how much heavier and stronger the NHL players are. Now he realizes where he needs to get - heavier, stronger, and (maybe?) tougher to play against.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

This...a year of gaining strength and dominating in the OHL as well as another World Juniors tournament will be good for his development.

Really looking forward to how he looks next camp after another summer of gaining strength.

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

This...a year of gaining strength and dominating in the OHL as well as another World Juniors tournament will be good for his development.

Really looking forward to how he looks next camp after another summer of gaining strength.

I'm looking forward to watching him in the wjc! :)  the finns have have a lot of good youngsters coming up.

3 hours ago, junglesniper said:

One of my better friends is a Canadian's fan and will bring up Sergachev any chance he can. I agree that there is more variance between Chychrun and Sergachev reaching a top-pairing defencemen, while Juolevi is more steady. I attribute that variance to how dynamic those two players can be due to their physical dominance in junior, which may no fully translate to the NHL where everyone is a man. That's why Juolevi has a great ceiling is that you can't teach hockey sense.

He does need to work on his skating, though, in my opinion. He's not a poor skater by any means, but his skating reminds me a lot of Dan Hamhuis, and he kind of plays like him too. If he finds a way to hit that next gear and to add some weight, we could have a stud.

I think too much weight is put into the WJC. It's just too small of a sample size. I watched that shift by shift video of him playing against Canada in the quarters and while he had 3 assists, he didn't play at the level that Button is describing. I think if you base a player's potential off one tournament, then you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Remember Cody Hodgson in 2009?

I agree that the WJC does pump a lot of tires in an effort to keep audiences. Joulevi played a solid tourney on an exceptional Finnish team. His rep was also confirmed by the London Memorial Cup again as a 17 year old. We will see how he does this year. Not sorry he was sent down.

CoHo is a sad tale. I don't know the details are but his WJC series was solid. He stood out at both ends of the ice.

10 hours ago, tas said:

has he really, though? here are the quotes I can find:

"In the end, I get to decide [for myself]," Edler told Expressen, "but if the team wants [a trade] ... well, then you get to decide whether you want to play for a team that does not want you." -july 2014

"Alex Edler told me you don’t sign a 6-year deal with a NTC so you can leave town shortly after #canucks Don’t think he’d waive."

— Dan Murphy (@sportsnetmurph)March 5, 2014

source and date are obvious. 

so we have a second hand (though reliable) quote via vancouver media and that media member's inference that edler wouldn't agree to be traded during the first year of his 6 year contract extension. 

and we have a quote directly from the player, 4 months later, that implies, at the very least, that he would think about it, and from my perspective, that he wouldn't want to play for a team that asked him to waive. 

yeah. at the end of the day it's a business. no hard feelings. with that being said. Edler has been a warrior for this club. i think management sees him as valuable piece moving forward with a new crop. you gotta have veterans in the line up. and he's going to be one of the elder statesmen if he isn't already. 

1 hour ago, junglesniper said:

Do you guys think Tkachuk sticks with Calgary this season? If not, then London gets much better. If he does, add Tkacuck to a long list of high caliber players leaving London - Marner, Dvorak, Tkachuk, Berisha. 

depends on how his preseason is going with calgary. imo. i think he's going back to London. but i've been wrong before. so have no idea. either way. i don't care. cause well. it's calgary. and it's Tkachuk. all i care about is Juolevi and how he will perform and progress this season in junior. 

3 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

depends on how his preseason is going with calgary. imo. i think he's going back to London. but i've been wrong before. so have no idea. either way. i don't care. cause well. it's calgary. and it's Tkachuk. all i care about is Juolevi and how he will perform and progress this season in junior. 

He's been lighting it up, and has completely outplayed shinkaruk and higgins, who was his competition for the second line LW.  He will likely stay with the flames

6 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

He's been lighting it up, and has completely outplayed shinkaruk and higgins, who was his competition for the second line LW.  He will likely stay with the flames

oh has he? well. quite the surprised. i'm surprised that Shinkurak has been outplayed by Tkachuk. wow. that doesn't bode well for Shink does it? 

16 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

oh has he? well. quite the surprised. i'm surprised that Shinkurak has been outplayed by Tkachuk. wow. that doesn't bode well for Shink does it? 

Nope,  Shinkaruk is looking at being a depth forward or getting sent down.

Tkachuk has been noticeable in every game and is also getting on the scoreboard.    Hard to send a player back when he's been one of their better forwards. 

6 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Nope,  Shinkaruk is looking at being a depth forward or getting sent down.

Tkachuk has been noticeable in every game and is also getting on the scoreboard.    Hard to send a player back when he's been one of their better forwards. 

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/tkachuk-will-start-season-flames/

Looks like you're right. He's staying for now

5 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

NEWS 1130 SportsVerified account ‏@NEWS1130Sports  9m9 minutes ago

Juolevi on London : "Big goal is to win Memorial Cup again, I want to be the best player in the OHL and play good hockey." #Canucks

Juolevi on #Canucks feedback : " They like my hockey sense but I have to get stronger, I'm not ready for big minutes in NHL."

Juolevi - : "I only got 2 games but the #Canucks have a plan for me, they want me to be there in the future, it's all good."

NEWS 1130 SportsVerified account ‏@NEWS1130Sports  11m11 minutes ago

Juolevi on getting cut : "It was disappointing, I wanted to make the team, I will get better in London." #Canucks

Love that first quote, who do you guys think his competition is for best player in OHL?

Edited by Bure_Pavel

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

yeah. at the end of the day it's a business. no hard feelings. with that being said. Edler has been a warrior for this club. i think management sees him as valuable piece moving forward with a new crop. you gotta have veterans in the line up. and he's going to be one of the edler statesmen if he isn't already. 

Fixed