The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

On 10/9/2016 at 5:33 PM, ftmN said:

great pass by olli on that assist. really looking forward to following him closely this season, if he gains 10+ pounds and develops his speed/game upwards, he's pretty much a roster lock next year. 

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Joulevi - Stecher

Looks good. 

Man this is gonna be a long 2 year count down has begun. on the clock 

• Upvote 1

On October 9, 2016 at 9:33 PM, ftmN said:

great pass by olli on that assist. really looking forward to following him closely this season, if he gains 10+ pounds and develops his speed/game upwards, he's pretty much a roster lock next year. 

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Joulevi - Stecher

Looks good. 

Put Tanev with Juolevi and Edler with Stetcher. Trymakin as the 7th guy. Stoked for the future. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

Move Tanev and our 2017 first for aour future 1C, play Tryamkin on the right.

Hutton, Gudbranson

Edler, Stetcher

Juolevi, Tryamkin

Pedan, whoever steps up.

That does not look bad at all. Then we can maybe move Edler in future and Juolevi replaces him as he develops, then potentially we can find a solid partner with Tryamkin for future on the 3rd pairing.

Now if only Tanev could really fetch us a 1C, even as a prospect. Maybe we gamble with a team that has the potential to be a 1-3 overall pick in the upcoming draft and get it that way, but I don't see an easy answer to how that happens unfortunately.

9 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

That does not look bad at all. Then we can maybe move Edler in future and Juolevi replaces him as he develops, then potentially we can find a solid partner with Tryamkin for future on the 3rd pairing.

Now if only Tanev could really fetch us a 1C, even as a prospect. Maybe we gamble with a team that has the potential to be a 1-3 overall pick in the upcoming draft and get it that way, but I don't see an easy answer to how that happens unfortunately.

By that point, Tryamkin might take Edler's spot. Hopefully he's beyond 3rd pairing 2 years from now anyway. Of course Juolevi may have progressed beyond 3rd pair at that point as well. We may end up having to move a young guy too in a few years just to get deserved guys top 4 time (and slot Pedan in to a permanent 3rd pair role by that point).

Perhaps in ~3+ years it looks like:

Hutton, Gudbranson

Juolevi, Tryamkin

Pedan, Stetcher

Brisebois, Subban

Though that may short change Stetcher on 3rd pairing...

Well in fairness, I did say Tanev + our 2017 1st. Might need to sweeten that further with a prospect or something but you'd think Tanev and a likely high/mid 1st would go a long way towards that goal.

Edited by J.R.

23 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Tanev plus our 1st would either move us up in the draft or grab a young offensive center. 

Options are nice moving forward. A bit too early to bank on our young defenders, but things look very promising.  

Stetcher convinced me, Juolevi has great potential. If Trymakin can be developed properly this season we look very good on d and can move players for other needs. 

Yup, if they keep developing, it's a good problem to have. Then if we do get someone from Pedan, Subban, Brisebois, Neill, Olsen, future draft pick/free agent, etc. to develop then it's easy enough to find some 7th/8th guys to fill in as veterans and help them all get there.

I agree we'll move up from our spot if we package Tanev and our 1st, but it's costly to grab that 1st overall, or any pick that stands to yield the kind of quality #1C prospect I'd want back. And while there isn't necessarily a generational player like we've seen recently with McDavid and Matthews, moving up to get Nolan Patrick will still cost a premium. That premium might not be Tanev either, depending on what team has the pick and what they need.

14 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Yup, if they keep developing, it's a good problem to have. Then if we do get someone from Pedan, Subban, Brisebois, Neill, Olsen, future draft pick/free agent, etc. to develop then it's easy enough to find some 7th/8th guys to fill in as veterans and help them all get there.

I agree we'll move up from our spot if we package Tanev and our 1st, but it's costly to grab that 1st overall, or any pick that stands to yield the kind of quality #1C prospect I'd want back. And while there isn't necessarily a generational player like we've seen recently with McDavid and Matthews, moving up to get Nolan Patrick will still cost a premium. That premium might not be Tanev either, depending on what team has the pick and what they need.

Elvis;

Tanev and a 1st likely does not get you a generational 1C, especially in a weaker draft than last year. Quite honestly I do expect Van will be drafting in the top 5 again this year. That gives them a real shot at a 1C. IMHO Canuck fans are expecting to much from this roster as it continues its development. The only legit top 6 forwards in the group are all over 30 years old. The Twins and Erickson, one could argue that Hanson and Sutter are on the fringe. Horvat and Baer show promise. That is a organizational ticking time bomb. I do not expect real change until the Twins retire.   

15 hours ago, elvis15 said:

I think we may be more likely to make a move for a 19-22'ish C prospect who might be stuck behind depth than just move up in the draft personally but we'll see what happens.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

I think we may be more likely to make a move for a 19-22'ish C prospect who might be stuck behind depth than just move up in the draft personally but we'll see what happens.

just win the lottery :P

• Upvote 1