The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

18 hours ago, J.R. said:

I doubt they'll be a pair. Too similar, not complimentary.

He'd pair better with Gudbranson, Sbisa (if still here) or Tryamkin.

Yeah, Tanev settles a lot of partners, just like Hamhuis has done for Sbisa and Biega, but two calm guys on a pair don't necessarily match. Juolevi will either pair with a more dynamic offensive D or a physical defensive guy. He could be vary smart at setting up a player like Hutton for a rush or ideally paired with someone like Guddy (Tryamkin to an extent) who can chip in offensively and is a good skater but as a strong, defensive stalwart.

5 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Yeah, Tanev settles a lot of partners, just like Hamhuis has done for Sbisa and Biega, but two calm guys on a pair don't necessarily match. Juolevi will either pair with a more dynamic offensive D or a physical defensive guy. He could be vary smart at setting up a player like Hutton for a rush or ideally paired with someone like Guddy (Tryamkin to an extent) who can chip in offensively and is a good skater but as a strong, defensive stalwart.

Him and Stetcher could possibly make an interesting offensive pair down the line but likely too green for the next year or two. I think it more likely to be with one of the bigger guys. 

22 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

oh has he? well. quite the surprised. i'm surprised that Shinkurak has been outplayed by Tkachuk. wow. that doesn't bode well for Shink does it? 

During the broadcast last night they suggested that the Flames wanted Tkachuk on their roster. Shink did not overly impress and Higgins was invisible.

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

During the broadcast last night they suggested that the Flames wanted Tkachuk on their roster. Shink did not overly impress and Higgins was invisible.

Seems like Granlund might be playing a top 9 role (middle six with Sutter and Hansen). I wanna see what that line can do offensively. 

Shinkurak is still young, though. see where he's at by the end of this year...

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Seems like Granlund might be playing a top 9 role (middle six with Sutter and Hansen). I wanna see what that line can do offensively. 

Shinkurak is still young, though. see where he's at by the end of this year...

IMHO Granlund's game has been growing through this Camp. JR is advocating for signing Ruutu but I don't see the need unless another vet is moved. Gaunce at 4C with Granlund on the wing is an option or vive versa.

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

IMHO Granlund's game has been growing through this Camp. JR is advocating for signing Ruutu but I don't see the need unless another vet is moved. Gaunce at 4C with Granlund on the wing is an option or vive versa.

Ruutu would be good depth. But if he's going to be make the roster, that means it's at someone else's expense. I'd rather it not be a young player, we need to slowly introduce our young players onto the big club (i.e. Gaunce, Granlund, Virtanen, etc). that's going to become our new core moving forward. 

Gaunce is most assuredly has the 4th line centre position. Moving Granlund to the wing, makes me wonder if that's not what WD is thinking. 

Just now, N4ZZY said:

Ruutu would be good depth. But if he's going to be make the roster, that means it's at someone else's expense. I'd rather it not be a young player...

We still need a 13th forward and I can guarantee it won't be one of the kids who need to play.  

Burrows and Ruutu can swap in and out as 13th, Ruutu can play C in the event of injury as well.

Consider moving both at the deadline for picks, recall a kid or two.

Just now, J.R. said:

We still need a 13th forward and I can guarantee it won't be one of the kids who need to play.  

Burrows and Ruutu can swap in and out as 13th, Ruutu can play C in the event of injury as well.

Consider moving both at the deadline for picks, recall a kid or two.

Yep. Though, I doubt that Burrows and Ruutu would get much in return. But I guess that depends on what they do on the ice, given their opportunities. 

Just now, N4ZZY said:

Yep. Though, I doubt that Burrows and Ruutu would get much in return. But I guess that depends on what they do on the ice, given their opportunities. 

Assuming they put together a solid season, I doubt a 3rd or 4th is out of the question. Or perhaps as a sweetener in a larger deal. 

Just now, J.R. said:

Assuming they put together a solid season, I doubt a 3rd or 4th is out of the question. Or perhaps as a sweetener in a larger deal. 

I expect about that. 

Depending on their performance, a 3rd or 4th round pick in return isn't unreasonable. 

10 hours ago, Boudrias said:

There is a really good reason to use the waiver protected status and sign players on PTO's.  It is about protecting key players from the expansion draft.

. Gaunce will get games, but over 40 and he can get claimed. Same with Rodin.  Granlund can be eligible this year as well.

Sign Ruutu and we can manage the games of some other players. 

This is is going to play a big role in clubs roster assignments/moves this year. 

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

There is a really good reason to use the waiver protected status and sign players on PTO's.  It is about protecting key players from the expansion draft.

. Gaunce will get games, but over 40 and he can get claimed. Same with Rodin.  Granlund can be eligible this year as well.

Sign Ruutu and we can manage the games of some other players. 

This is is going to play a big role in clubs roster assignments/moves this year. 

I don't think it quite works that way. At least not by my reading of the expansion rules.

Teams have to expose a minimum of one defenseman and two forwards that are under contract for 2017-18 and who've either played a minimum of 70 games in 2015-16 through 2016-17 or 40 games in 2016-17.

And they must expose a goalie either under contract for 2017-18 or who is a pending RFA (no minimum games for goalies however).

But that doesn't mean all the exposed players need to meet the above requirements to be eligible for selection in the expansion draft. 

First and second year professionals and unsigned draft choices are exempt. Everyone else is eligible for selection (other than those players teams choose to place on their protected list or with contract clauses that force them to be protected).

First or second year professional status is based on the CBA definition of 10 games minimum/season in the NHL at ages 18 and 19, and any season played in the AHL or NHL at age 20 and above.

So Gaunce, Rodin, etc (basically anyone listed here who doesn't appear in the "exempt" column) will be eligible for selection (if they are not protected by the club), regardless of their number of games played this season.

Stashing expansion draft eligible players in the minors or the press box and limiting their 2016-17 NHL games played to <40 (or <70 for 2015-16 through 2016-17) will not protect them from selection. Only placing them on the protected list will accomplish this.