The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

18 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think the Heiskanen comparison was just handy as a shorthand for understanding the numbers Juolevi was producing in Liiga. Many posters here have never watched a Liiga game. Some probably have never even heard of the league.

So when I’d post Olli’s totals, some people would be like “but what does that even mean?”

So given that Juolevi was pacing Heiskanen, I’d compare their production, just to give people an idea of how he was doing. 

Which I felt was informative, at least in terms of understanding the scoring numbers. Heiskanen is highly rated. Juolevi had some question marks (at least for some). So their producing similar numbers tells a story. And one worth sharing IMO. As does the fact the both of them have been flirting with historic numbers for U20 Ds in Liiga.

This was never meant to suggest they are all that similar player types (other than being U20 Finnish defensemen). More just to give a measuring stick for Olli’s season. And have a little fun with the U20 Liiga defenseman scoring race (a contest that’s pretty meaningless).

I highly appreciate what you are doing, in this thread and many others, also I did not want to criticize comparing itself. Speculating about prospects is part of the fun. But what has been going on on the last pages in this thread (and at times in the Virtanen thread) is hard to bear. Some take the fun way too serious.

• Cheers 1

I never understand why posters battling each other.  This is about Juolevi.  Any opinion is as useful as another.  I believe he will suprise in 2-3 years and be as good or better than Edler who has been a #1.5 dman for us for years.  Every coach has chosen to play him and lean on him.  Vigneault, Torts, Willie, and Green all see something in him but the fans rag on him, because they want him to be Lidstrom or Karlson.  

I think Juolevi will be similar.  Not quite a #1 but maybe.  He has the size, skating, and hockey IQ to be a real pillar on defence for years to come.  We never had a shot at Heiskanen so who gives a rat's a$$ about him.  The Glass/Lind comparisons make much more sense because we could have had Glass. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, joe-max said:

Again, I don't see the point in constantly comparing the two. Where do you start, where do you stop?

Juolevi has scored 17 points in 26 games, while Heiskanen has 18 in 23. This makes Heiskanen 17% better. Then again he played easier teams. That takes 1.3% away. Juolevi is a rookie, he deserves a bonus of 3.6% for that, but Heiskanen is younger, so he gets a 2.1% bonus. Heiskanen has already had a concussion, add 15% bust potential, but Juolevi loses 10% for getting stripped of the team-Finland-captaincy. The recent scratches easily cost Juolevi 11%, then again the Dobber Porpsects said in June 17 that Heiskanen's "offensive ceiling is not too high and he may never quarterback the powerplay". Impossible. Minus 20.2%. Juolevi is bigger and heavier (+8%), but he is a Taurus and everyone knows those born under this sign revel in delicious excess (-15%). TPS is 6 points up in the standings, that makes Juolevi better by about 5%, but Heiskanen has got the better hair, +3%.

But don't forget to take into account that Juolevi was drafted at 5, Heiskanen at 3. So expecations should be 12.33% higher for Heiskanen.

Bravo!

Post of the day, week and month!  

EmW

7 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Why do people keep bringing heiskanen up? I don't care what that kid does. He's not a canuck prospect and there's no sign he'll be a canuck player.  I'm talking about olli juolevi here. 

Olli was benched. On top of that he had another poor outing at the WJC.  We're building something in Vancouver and if he wants to be a part of it he needs to play better.

You do realize he was voted as Finnish best PLAYER, let alone defenseman in the WJC right? 

"He needs to play better". 17pts in 26gp, right behind Heiskanen as both U19 defenseman having breakout seasons which is pretty much unheard of in the finnish league? Yeah he's been scratched the last few games and according to Rick Dhaliwal, Sami thought Juolevi was fatigued and tired, hence the healthy scratches much like Boeser was in the beginning of the season. It doesn't matter where he's playing, someone who is fatigued and tired won't be able to play to the best of their ability. Again, there could be a possiblity that Sami made up an excuse and it might be a little more than that but that's quite a stretch.

And wtf does that last sentence mean? quite unnecessary. Saying it like that makes you look like a fool.

I don't get some of the criticism for Juolevi. Yes he hasn't been exceeding expectations for a 5th overall pick, but it's not like he's NOT meeting those expectations as well. 

Edited by Odd.
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, joe-max said:

Again, I don't see the point in constantly comparing the two. Where do you start, where do you stop?

Juolevi has scored 17 points in 26 games, while Heiskanen has 18 in 23. This makes Heiskanen 17% better. Then again he played easier teams. That takes 1.3% away. Juolevi is a rookie, he deserves a bonus of 3.6% for that, but Heiskanen is younger, so he gets a 2.1% bonus. Heiskanen has already had a concussion, add 15% bust potential, but Juolevi loses 10% for getting stripped of the team-Finland-captaincy. The recent scratches easily cost Juolevi 11%, then again the Dobber Porpsects said in June 17 that Heiskanen's "offensive ceiling is not too high and he may never quarterback the powerplay". Impossible. Minus 20.2%. Juolevi is bigger and heavier (+8%), but he is a Taurus and everyone knows those born under this sign revel in delicious excess (-15%). TPS is 6 points up in the standings, that makes Juolevi better by about 5%, but Heiskanen has got the better hair, +3%.

But don't forget to take into account that Juolevi was drafted at 5, Heiskanen at 3. So expecations should be 12.33% higher for Heiskanen.

This is the biggest reach I've seen in years.

No two players are the same but there's comparables. Going by this logic, there should never be player comparisons. Ever.

Juolevi has scored 17 points in 26 games, while Heiskanen has 18 in 23. This makes Heiskanen 17% better.

What is your point?  Did you come here to troll Canuck fans & suggest Juolevi is not as good as he should be?

That takes 1.3% away. Juolevi is a rookie, he deserves a bonus of 3.6% for that, but Heiskanen is younger, so he gets a 2.1% bonus. Heiskanen has already had a concussion, add 15% bust potential, but Juolevi loses 10% for getting stripped of the team-Finland-captaincy. The recent scratches easily cost Juolevi 11%, then again the Dobber Porpsects said in June 17 that Heiskanen's "offensive ceiling is not too high and he may never quarterback the powerplay". Impossible. Minus 20.2%. Juolevi is bigger and heavier (+8%), but he is a Taurus and everyone knows those born under this sign revel in delicious excess (-15%). TPS is 6 points up in the standings, that makes Juolevi better by about 5%, but Heiskanen has got the better hair, +3%.

Lookie here! :frantic:

With such a keen understanding of percentages, we got ourselves a job applicant in Arizona or Florida?

:picard:

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

For Juolevi's sake, I hope he isn't aware of this thread's existence and if he is, I sure as hell hope he hasn't read it.

It's not as bad as the Virtanen thread was after the WJC and last year.

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

Explain? 

I think he’s saying you’re negative posts about Canuck’s Prospects on a Canuck’s Fan board, while saying other teams’ prospects are better, is like rubbing salt into a still open wound.  I think we all accept now that Virtanen was (is) not as good as guys picked right after.  Now, we have Olli, and ther are guys looking better, who were selected soon after him.  

Maybe we all know the truth, and it still hurts to read about it here, on CDC?  We could go to other teams’ sites to get abuse, no?  I’m not great with words, so I’m hoping this makes some kind of sense.  (I know you’re not one of these). :lol:

C3AFB994-AC97-4459-AF95-7A75CE9C14A3.png

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I said negative things about Virtanen no denying  that, he was a hot topic for awhile because of our lack of prospect depth, since then I have layed off on the kid and have focused more energy towards the positive things like boeser, petterson, Horvats growth etc.  The stuff I said about Virtanen 4 years ago is finally coming to realization now.  I was just trying to give y'all a heads up.

Totally agree.  Still “stings” though.  If you were a Leafs or a Flames fan though....ugg.  My wife is a Leafs fan, and one of my Brothers-in-law is from Cow Town.  I get enough trolling from them.  :sadno:

3 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

I said negative things about Virtanen no denying  that, he was a hot topic for awhile because of our lack of prospect depth, since then I have layed off on the kid and have focused more energy towards the positive things like boeser, petterson, Horvats growth etc.  The stuff I said about Virtanen 4 years ago is finally coming to realization now.  I was just trying to give y'all a heads up.

No it's not. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

What is your point?  Did you come here to troll Canuck fans & suggest Juolevi is not as good as he should be?

With such a keen understanding of percentages, we got ourselves a job applicant in Arizona or Florida?

I thought the point was pretty clear. It was a sarcastic post written about how ridiculous and hard to read the past 10ish pages of this thread have been. It was not something to be taken seriously but an expression of frustration at reading the constant bickering. 

I'm sure there are many forum members, including me, who are currently fed up with the state of this thread, but have been reading it in hopes of some real news. Thankfully Rick Dhaliwal came to the rescue and provided us with that.

Now that we've heard directly from Salo, hopefully Juolevi returns to the lineup feeling fresh and reinvigorated and finishes the season just as strong as he started it.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I think your sarcasm detector is offline.  

If you aren’t seeing the joke by the time astrology is given percentages...  

EmW 

14 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Explain? 

I think it’s pretty self explanatory, sometimes I not sure if your trolling or just a inwardly negative person. 

Then you, who has been wrong more than most, always quick to find everything negative that you can, impervious to reason and logic. Will never admit to making a mistake but are always the first to call out others. 

Honestly, are you Steven Miller?  Kinda hate that Trumps troll in chief is a nucks fan.  Must be all

the Swedes on the roster and the non stop winning. 

Personally,

I would take Zepp’s posts at far more value than yours. He does have some very up to date info from the Euro teams. The report from Daliwalh on OJ is somewhat vague. Whether he was having flu like symptoms or just worn out post WJC.  Both mean the same thing. His club though he needed a game or two off, reset or rest.  

But go ahead and make an

ass out of yourself, you seem to be very good at it. 

As for Robb Zepp, don’t let the bastards grind you down. 

BTW 5th, feel free to block

me.  I don’t care.  

• Upvote 2