The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd be surprised if the coaching staff wanted anything else from him. He's not there to earn a pro job, he's got that in Utica for sure regardless of what happens in these two games. 

Yup and would have thought those who follow the club would have understood that.   Anyway, some guys just attract more people looking as much for them to fail as to succeed and OJ just seems to be one of those guys.    Perhaps it is his cool as a cucumber personna or perhaps because he won't take the bait to trolling from media about if he feels pressure to "catch up".    He proved what he can do at professional level as a 19 year old last year.    This year in either Utica or Vancouver he will continue to do what he does and do it well and still have those looking more for him to fail than succeed.....which I am sure he will bear with ease.   :)

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Yup and would have thought those who follow the club would have understood that.   Anyway, some guys just attract more people looking as much for them to fail as to succeed and OJ just seems to be one of those guys.    Perhaps it is his cool as a cucumber personna or perhaps because he won't take the bait to trolling from media about if he feels pressure to "catch up".    He proved what he can do at professional level as a 19 year old last year.    This year in either Utica or Vancouver he will continue to do what he does and do it well and still have those looking more for him to fail than succeed.....which I am sure he will bear with ease.   :)

I don't get the problem with having a non "flashy" guy on the d group? He's exactly who you'd want to pair with someone like a Hughes who takes more chances but needs someone to backup the play. I think OJs passing is a bit underrated as well. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

If you look at the slow-mo package the Canucks released today showing some highlights from the weekend, you can see that when OJ passed the puck to EP on the powerplay he wasn’t looking at him at all. So deceptive, doesn’t telegraph anything. That’s what you want in a D-man: Sees a smart play, has the skill to execute it, doesn’t give the opposition a chance to counter it. 

Exactly this, I noticed that watching the highlights, he drew the defender to the left, the defenders right, taking him away from a more open Elias who 1 timed it home.  It was a no look pass that we will never see from Edler, who telegraphs which way he will pass with his body.  Right now as it stands, Juolevi would be an upgrade in that regard alone as he can no look pass either way to elite shots or jump up in the play and try and create something.

• Upvote 3

What I noticed from our D was that the top pairing of Olli and Jalen was that they were a decent amount better than even our 2nd pairing. One thing I noticed in last year's prospects tourney (and posted as much earlier in this thread) was that Juolevi would get beaten wide far too easily. I don't know/recall if Winnipeg's forwards were good enough to test Juolevi much in this regard, but the one time I saw it start to happen there was an improvement in his reaction to it and that was the only time I noticed it in 2 games. Not sure if that was from a lack of high end competition (certainly was more speed in last year's Calgary team in particular), better neutral zone management by the forwards, or just better defensive positioning by him. Will be interesting to see how he performs throughout the preseason.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HockeyHarry said:

I was pleasantly surprised by OJ. 

I wasn’t sure how in shape he’d be after his operation. It looks like he’s fine and can now fairly prove himself this preseason.

His skill really showed, that’s for sure.  I don’t think he’s in top shape yet though.  I would love to see him crack our roster out of camp, but think he’s starting in Utica.  He might need a couple months to play himself into top shape.  Once he’s up here though, he will stay.  

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

He looked decent overall in the two games. Here's hoping he can continue to play well and perhaps even improve as we get into main camp. 

At the very least, he should be able to improve upon his performance from last years camp, which was admittedly kinda terrible.

Yeah i'm hoping too that he looks a lot better at this camp than last years performance. I would expect a half or full year in Utica yet unless they make full time room for him via trade etc.

29 minutes ago, Alflives said:

His skill really showed, that’s for sure.  I don’t think he’s in top shape yet though.  I would love to see him crack our roster out of camp, but think he’s starting in Utica.  He might need a couple months to play himself into top shape.  Once he’s up here though, he will stay.  

He was considerably better at YoungStars this year than last year. More decisive and stronger. But he did get caught out there on a couple long shifts and looked really winded. I read somewhere he had a late start to his off season training because of the surgery? 

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 6:07 PM, Kosmo Kramer said:

Seems to be mixed reviews for Juolevi at the young stars tourny.

Some posters thought he looked good, was solid and very poised.

Others thought he lacked urgency and was exposed more than a few times

Hopefully he will shine more at main camp and pre season playing in a more structured game.

Would love to read more insight from those that attended the event live.

Other than that we will just have to wait for main camp.

I thought at times OJ may have been exposed, He did not gell with his partner they refused to pass to each other, Like they we're both trying not to make the other guy look good. A couple time OJ was put in tough by his paired D man. I would have sat them both down and let them have it. But it was by no means a team game,

2 minutes ago, cory40 said:

I thought at times OJ may have been exposed, He did not gell with his partner they refused to pass to each other, Like they we're both trying not to make the other guy look good. A couple time OJ was put in tough by his paired D man. I would have sat them both down and let them have it. But it was by no means a team game,

Ya it was scrambly. Wingers weren't down low for outlet passes either. There were few options on the PP entry for JO as well. I truly believe he will flourish once he plays within the structure of the NHL or AHL. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, rekker said:

Ya it was scrambly. Wingers weren't down low for outlet passes either. There were few options on the PP entry for JO as well. I truly believe he will flourish once he plays within the structure of the NHL or AHL. 

I also thought a lot of players played,,,not to get hurt. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

If you look at the slow-mo package the Canucks released today showing some highlights from the weekend, you can see that when OJ passed the puck to EP on the powerplay he wasn’t looking at him at all. So deceptive, doesn’t telegraph anything. That’s what you want in a D-man: Sees a smart play, has the skill to execute it, doesn’t give the opposition a chance to counter it. 

I noticed that in his highlight packages he has many plays where he does the deceptive no-look pass across the ice and it is always tape to tape. Great passer and has the ability to get the shot through to the net as well.

I hope he gets a chance to run the powerplay this season with Boeser and Pettersson on his wings to see how he does.

6 hours ago, cory40 said:

Well that's not cool (refusing to work with your partner).

I think main camp will be more telling. 

18 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He was very good testing his back and played about as I expected him too - he was one of the few on the ice who had played a full year of high end professional hockey and he knows what he can do there and knows he wasn't going to do anything to help or harm his big team chances during Penticton games - so he played to test the back and get a few shifts in with some of his new potential teammates.    He knows small ice surfaces playing CHL so he had nothing to do other than get through the weekend with nothing feeling "sore" or tweaking and mission accomplished.   His passes were crisp and his decisions sound.   He didn't play as if was a playoff game as it wasn't.    

His job was to push himself just hard enough to make sure all will be good for main camp.    Mission accomplished.     

Zepp,

Logic and reason have no place here ;)  

None of the top picks were there to push themselves, its a showcase. 

The guys that were on tryouts are the ones trying earn a spot in Utica are the ones that are pushing things.  

It makes no sense to have OJ, Pettersson etc getting hurt in a meaningless exhibition tourney. 

18 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

We need that type of d man. He needs some time, cool, he has it. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, rekker said:

He is a guy that needs skilled forwards to be successful, he can’t be the guy to create out of nothing. 

He would be fantastic for our horrible transition game.  

• Upvote 3

I remember the world juniors before OJ was drafted, Finland won gold with him and Laine etc... in the semis against Canada they won a barn burner by the score of something like 8-6 or 7-5. It was a high scoring game anyway.

I distinctly remember Juolevi standing out on that stacked team, he dished the puck well to Laine and Puljujarvi and co.

I'm confident he will do the same with us, I dont follow junior hockey much and when JB called his name that's where I heard it from, I remembered that game.

OJ is gonna be a great player for us.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3