The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

If management doesn't trade Edler at the deadline IMO he is 100% back with the Canucks next year. They certainly won't lose him for nothing at free agency and on top of that we don't have anyone to replace his current 25:25 average TOI/game and 22.4% offensive zone starts. Both Hughes and Juolevi look like they will be able to play effectively in sheltered roles but who will shelter them and play those hard defensive minutes against the likes of Crosby, McDavid, Gaudreau, Ovechkin, etc.?

Next year I could definitely see a left side defense group consisting of Edler, Hughes, and Juolevi, with Hutton and Sautner as extras. Pouliot might be on his way out...

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, redhdlois said:

I heard Ryan Johnson on SN650 today and was very happy to hear how well Olli is coming along....it won't be long ;) 

Meanwhile MDZ marking time in the pressbox.  They don't want to lose the depth yet, but wouldn't be surprised if they are already working on trade contingencies.

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Possibly that is exactly why Linden wanted out......   was TL lobbying to bring back his buddy Edler..... ?  told by FA / Benning it was a no go... ?

Reportedly Linden wanted to re-sign him for 2+ years whereas Benning was interested in a one-year extension.  They most definitely won't lose both Edler and Tanev at the same time, but it may just come down to how the D looks down the last stretch of the season, when we should see both OJ and Hughes on the roster, and have likely seen some NHL games from others like Sautner, McEneny, and Brisebois throughout the year.

6 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

If management doesn't trade Edler at the deadline IMO he is 100% back with the Canucks next year. They certainly won't lose him for nothing at free agency and on top of that we don't have anyone to replace his current 25:25 average TOI/game and 22.4% offensive zone starts. Both Hughes and Juolevi look like they will be able to play effectively in sheltered roles but who will shelter them and play those hard defensive minutes against the likes of Crosby, McDavid, Gaudreau, Ovechkin, etc.?

Next year I could definitely see a left side defense group consisting of Edler, Hughes, and Juolevi, with Hutton and Sautner as extras. Pouliot might be on his way out...

I think the only way Edler agrees to waive is if the canucks agree to resign him in the off season. I do see him coming back next season. And Hutton or Stecher getting dealt if Hughes and Joulevi are regulars next season.

9 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I doubt very much that Edler is back next year for one.   I also believe that DP needs to either improve a LOT or OJ will pass him as early as Christmas.

I think it's almost guaranteed the Edler is back next year.  They have no replacement to eat those big mins that Eddie plays

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think it's almost guaranteed the Edler is back next year.  They have no replacement to eat those big mins that Eddie plays

That sounds a bit like the idea that they have nobody to replace the twins 105 points. I expect both OJ and Hughes on the team next year, and if Eddie is not back, I expect his ice time to be divvied up among whatever Dmen are playing. If Eddie is not there next year, I don't expect any one Dman to be playing 25 minutes per game.

Just now, WeneedLumme said:

That sounds a bit like the idea that they have nobody to replace the twins 105 points. I expect both OJ and Hughes on the team next year, and if Eddie is not back, I expect his ice time to be divvied up among whatever Dmen are playing. If Eddie is not there next year, I don't expect any one Dman to be playing 25 minutes per game.

apples to oranges.  Do you think they have dman who can play 25-28 mins a night, playing against the other teams top players, as well as pk and pp duties?  I'm no huge Edler fans, but they don't have a dman ready to take that on yet.  OJ will likely be that guy, but he's, obviously, not ready yet.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

apples to oranges.  Do you think they have dman who can play 25-28 mins a night, playing against the other teams top players, as well as pk and pp duties?  I'm no huge Edler fans, but they don't have a dman ready to take that on yet.  OJ will likely be that guy, but he's, obviously, not ready yet.

..and conversely, we had more than a few young (and older) forwards who could step into the Sedins’ cushy zone starts and PP time. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, WeneedLumme said:

All this depends on the development of Pouliot and Hutton.  And of course Juolevi.  I think they were hoping that he would be ready some time this year so they don't have 2 rookies on the left side going into next season.  The good news is that he is progressing as hoped.

When it gets down to it, do you want Edler or Pouliot or Hutton or MDZ to be the big minute man on the left?  Edler is still the top performer on the Canucks blue line and we all know the liklihood of landing a top 4 D in free agency or by trade.  Is there really an option other than re-signing?

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Possibly that is exactly why Linden wanted out......   was TL lobbying to bring back his buddy Edler..... ?  told by FA / Benning it was a no go... ?

I doubt very much a team and a President part ways over a veteran D on an expiring contract.

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

No, I don't think they have any one Dman capable of doing that. But as I said, I expect it to be done by committee. I could see Hughes taking Eddie's PP time, and  OJ taking his PK time for example. It's not really necessary for one player to do it all.

17 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Took the time to go through all the Utica games to date and I am VERY impressed by the top 4 D in Utica with Ollie leading the way as their number 1.

I am  confused as to why McEneny is not in the mix. I don't know how close he is to being 'back to speed' after a long layoff, but I believe he's been mostly paired with Brisebois, so he's probably getting good TOI. Now that Biega is on the roster, perhaps he can move back to LD. Concerned that the top 4 is not the top 5 !

2 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

I am  confused as to why McEneny is not in the mix. I don't know how close he is to being 'back to speed' after a long layoff, but I believe he's been mostly paired with Brisebois, so he's probably getting good TOI. Now that Biega is on the roster, perhaps he can move back to LD. Concerned that the top 4 is not the top 5 !

You make a good point but at this stage he is not “quite there” with the other four.  A lot to like about his game.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

I think the only way Edler agrees to waive is if the canucks agree to resign him in the off season. I do see him coming back next season. And Hutton or Stecher getting dealt if Hughes and Joulevi are regulars next season.

Hughes and Joulevi with hutton and Edler on the left with Tanev stetcher guds and DP on the right.

I dont see either getting traded unless we somehow find an upgrade.

Olli Juolevi notched his first North American professional goal but on the night it was a game that he would rather forget.  The pairing of Chatfield - Juolevi struggled all night in the defensive zone and Olli was victimized too many times by weak passes that were either picked off or immediately put the receiver of the pass in a bad position.

In general I have been impressed with Juolevi so far this season but last night wan't one of them.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Olli Juolevi notched his first North American professional goal but on the night it was a game that he would rather forget.  The pairing of Chatfield - Juolevi struggled all night in the defensive zone and Olli was victimized too many times by weak passes that were either picked off or immediately put the receiver of the pass in a bad position.

In general I have been impressed with Juolevi so far this season but last night wan't one of them.

Thanks for the honest update. I coached a lot of hockey. You learn more from your mistakes and losses then success and wins. Hopefully OJ continues to improve. I have high hopes for Chatfield as well after watching him in Penticton this summer. 

1 hour ago, UticaHockey said:

Still very happy to hear how highly Ryan Johnson thinks of Ollis performance overall. If he can be a 2-3 D for years and get the puck on the blade for Brock and  EP it’ll make a big difference for the rebuild. 

11 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I watched every minute of every game to this point in the season and he is their best Dman - period.  Plus/minus is at times a useless stat - and certainly it is with Utica so far this season.   Brisebois has been good but has a better partner and has not been left alone on many odd-man rushes nor has he been given the tough assignments.   Juolevi has gone up against the other teams number one line almost exclusively each game plus the PP and PK assignments.   

No one is overevaluating anyone - simply watching the games and commenting.   If you have been watching the games and have a different perspective, that is more than fine.   If you are basing it on stats - go right ahead.   I use the eye test over stats myself.   Your method is up to you.

I have watched every minute of every game, and plus minus is a valuable stat when the differences are so extreme, yeah once in a while you get a bad hit on plus minus, but that is often offset by stepping on the ice just as your team scores.  But a net difference of 11 (+4 / -7) over five games is more than 2 goals per game - that is significant.  I’m not putting Juolevi down, I’m glad we have him, but I’m not prepared to say he is sound defensively yet - he just isn’t.

25 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I have watched every minute of every game, and plus minus is a valuable stat when the differences are so extreme, yeah once in a while you get a bad hit on plus minus, but that is often offset by stepping on the ice just as your team scores.  But a net difference of 11 (+4 / -7) over five games is more than 2 goals per game - that is significant.  I’m not putting Juolevi down, I’m glad we have him, but I’m not prepared to say he is sound defensively yet - he just isn’t.

I agree with you. I watched a lot of Juolevi last year and caught most of 3 games of Utica this year and while Juolevi has some elite attributes as a defender, passing and his defensive IQ his weakness is his foot speed. He has a a really slow first few steps that don't allow him to close gaps quicky or defend well when the play is scrambley. 

When the play is structured he always make excellent reads and is excellent at breaking up plays through the neutral zone but 1v1 or in scrambled play he can be prone to giving up quality chances against. Its like watching Tanev vs Edler out there. Watch how fast Tanev moves his feet to get into position and close gaps defensively vs Edler who kinda prods along out there. Edler does a decent enough job out there though so Juolevi will be able to as well but I just have a hard time picturing Juolevi ever being a high end defender with his slow feet.

• Upvote 1