The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

14 hours ago, BlackBeard said:

Canucks have developed a phobia for highly skilled shorties. 

Quite lamentable that size seems to be our go-to factor for drafting players.

The Blackhawks take skill over size and they've got guys like Panarin, Debrincat, and.... oh yeah, that Kane guy. 

Even the Bruins seem to have learned that size isn't necessarily the best option... and with good reason. Pastrnak and Krug are becoming elite in their positions. 

53 minutes ago, guntrix said:

The Blackhawks take skill over size and they've got guys like Panarin, Debrincat, and.... oh yeah, that Kane guy. 

Even the Bruins seem to have learned that size isn't necessarily the best option... and with good reason. Pastrnak and Krug are becoming elite in their positions. 

I think it is because size brings up the floor of a prospect. A player with size who doesn't pan out offensively can still be an adequate bottom 6.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Scruffy05 said:

I think it is because size brings up the floor of a prospect. A player with size who doesn't pan out offensively can still be an adequate bottom 6.

That and the fact that there are some pretty big bodies in the Pacific division who have been bullying the Canucks for years.

1 hour ago, guntrix said:

While I don't necessarily disagree with you, it's ironic (or maybe it isn't) that the architect of the Bruins cup team went out and immediately sought out size for his new team - Gryba, Kassian, Maroon, Lucic....

• Upvote 1

I think that all NHL teams have been slow to add smaller skilled players to their teams regardless of the benefits of the upside.  Why else would Gaudreau and Debrincat get drafted outside the 1st round?  This year's skilled steals will be Suzuki and Yamamoto.  Although they are actually mocked to be picked in the mid to late 1st round.  Maybe teams are finally getting that these players can be hugely valuable.  If they were 2 inches taller they would probably go in the top 10.

None of their small fries would matter a lick if it wasn't already for their core. They can add a piece, inflate value and dump that player for picks, rinse and repeat. 

IMO if not for Kane, Toews, Hossa, Keith and Seabrook the players we 'should have drafted' would not look so good. 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

I think that all NHL teams have been slow to add smaller skilled players to their teams regardless of the benefits of the upside.  Why else would Gaudreau and Debrincat get drafted outside the 1st round?  This year's skilled steals will be Suzuki and Yamamoto.  Although they are actually mocked to be picked in the mid to late 1st round.  Maybe teams are finally getting that these players can be hugely valuable.  If they were 2 inches taller they would probably go in the top 10.

If you look at our roster we have Granlund and Baer, both players exactly in the mode that you are referring too. 

Jasek, Zuke and Subban also possess some of the same strengths and weaknesses. 

This team is ready for players of that mode, now that the heavy weights are already recruited. If we end up with Nico or the Czech wonderkid this year, great.  They will have players that can create space and offer some protection. Role players check, defence, Check, goalie of the future, check, game breakers... that's the need now. 

I would still pick Patrick if we end up winning the lottery, but JB should swing for the fences after the first pick. 

EW

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, guntrix said:

Since when?  Jake at 6'1 hardly massive, Juolevi and Boeser project as average, Jasek, Zhukenov, Lockwood, Stukel are all on the smaller side, then the guys they've acquired like Granlund, Baertschi, Vey, Molino, Dahlen, Goldobin, etc.  They've drafted far more small than large players, especially in the early rounds.

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Since when?  Jake at 6'1 hardly massive, Juolevi and Boeser project as average, Jasek, Zhukenov, Lockwood, Stukel are all on the smaller side, then the guys they've acquired like Granlund, Baertschi, Vey, Molino, Dahlen, Goldobin, etc.  They've drafted far more small than large players, especially in the early rounds.

Since.... it doesn't fit a narrative.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

None of their small fries would matter a lick if it wasn't already for their core. They can add a piece, inflate value and dump that player for picks, rinse and repeat. 

IMO if not for Kane, Toews, Hossa, Keith and Seabrook the players we 'should have drafted' would not look so good. 

Their best player by far, Kane, is definitely small. Their best defender, Keith, is on the smaller side as well. Seabrook is definitely replaceable imo. 

9 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

But Jake was drafted for his physical attributes. If we were looking for skill, we wouldn't have drafted him. Juolevi's pretty tall at 6'3"... he just hasn't filled out yet. 

Guys like Jasek, Lockwood, Stukel, Molino and Zhukenov are longshots to make the NHL long term. I think an organization's scope should be measured by its early round draft picks, not the latter round ones. 

Ill give you the others though. 

9 minutes ago, guntrix said:

But Jake was drafted for his physical attributes. If we were looking for skill, we wouldn't have drafted him. Juolevi's pretty tall at 6'3"... he just hasn't filled out yet.

Juolevi certainly wasn't drafted for his size and he's never going to be a big bruiser, even if he makes 200lbs or more.  Jake is not just physical, he was one of the fastest skaters and had one of the best shots of his draft year.  If anything, the Canucks have gone for skill much more than size and grit to this point (especially in trades), but ultimately I think that once they get to where they want to be there will be a good mix of both.  Right now they're just trying to catch up for all the missed years and get some guys in who can actually do something with the puck -- exactly what we saw from the two TDL trades, and Benning said he's not done in wanting to acquire even more skill.  Scoring is the team's biggest lack right now.

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Juolevi certainly wasn't drafted for his size and he's never going to be a big bruiser, even if he makes 200lbs or more.  Jake is not just physical, he was one of the fastest skaters and had one of the best shots of his draft year.  If anything, the Canucks have gone for skill much more than size and grit to this point (especially in trades), but ultimately I think that once they get to where they want to be there will be a good mix of both.  Right now they're just trying to catch up for all the missed years and get some guys in who can actually do something with the puck -- exactly what we saw from the two TDL trades, and Benning said he's not done in wanting to acquire even more skill.  Scoring is the team's biggest lack right now.

The main things that Benning and co seem to look for (with some exceptions obviously) are 200 foot awareness, compete level and... the third is hard to put a title on... Good-boy-ness? The exact opposite of Seguin. The mature, humble non-headcasey, non-headachey types. They want little to do with mercurial or lazy players.

That does not mean they are always the greatest judges of character.

• Upvote 1

Their best player by far, Kane, is definitely small. Their best defender, Keith, is on the smaller side as well. Seabrook is definitely replaceable imo. 

Guys like Jasek, Lockwood, Stukel, Molino and Zhukenov are longshots to make the NHL long term. I think an organization's scope should be measured by its early round draft picks, not the latter round ones. 

Ill give you the others though. 

Yup Gunny, Kane is small, but he is also a 1st OA generational player and douche bag on top of that!!  He makes the players around him better, so do the others in Chicago's core.  That's why they can take on smaller skilled guys and it works.  That's my point.  They have our core, the secondary guys get killed.  

I hate the hawks , but their top five could start the all star game year in and year out.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

That and the fact that there are some pretty big bodies in the Pacific division who have been bullying the Canucks for years.

I can understand that. But we can easily sign players who are physical or pick them in the later rounds, rather than drafting them high or taking the safe pick/ bigger player.

1 hour ago, BlackBeard said:

I can understand that. But we can easily sign players who are physical or pick them in the later rounds, rather than drafting them high or taking the safe pick/ bigger player.

Yes, physical players are relatively easy to come by. As are skilled players who are too small. But if you can get a player who has skill, size, and physicality all in the same package, he has infinitely more value than the one dimensional players who are only useful in a skill role or a physical role. That's why it's worth taking a shot at drafting one high and hoping he works out.

Remember the Avalanche glory days? That team was built from trading Lindros for a half dozen players ranging from good to elite, plus 2 first round picks. Why? Because he had the great skills along with huge size and a mean streak. With a player like that it feels like having a power play whenever he's on the ice.

7 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

I see Juolevi as a Suter type player when he fully matures. Exactly what we need.

Excellent comparison. Defensively I see the similarities in terms of how they angle off attackers and active sticks. I think OJ has a higher ceiling offensively though

• Upvote 3