The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

14 hours ago, Warhippy said:

My biggest concern was his guickness.  #2 (Bouchard?) who I saw alongside him numerous times was a lightning bolt by comparison.  He obviously isn't slow by any means but watching him with such a speedy d pairing makes me wonder what he'd look like with Stecher and his skating ability.  He's going to be very good.  It's just sad to know we're still a year from seeing him in the NA pro leagues due to his age

OJ's skating was considered to be among the best in his draft class. From my view, OJ skates when he needs too, but because his IQ is excellent, he finds the right place at the right time with ease, so doesn't have to skate hard.  Working smart instead of hard.  

Gaunce had a bit of this trait, but his skating was suspect and he made up for it by being smarter.  OJ is supposed to have excellent wheels.  Training camp will show what's what. 

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast

14 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Great summary, man.  He is soooo smart and calm that I think this is why some people see him as being 'bored or disinterested.'  All that, as such a young age is quite striking.  It's going to be so great watching him when he's playing on the Nucks D.

It's almost kindof amusing or funny watching him play, as if he's the master of the rink and simply does as he pleases.  Oh hi, mister forward, you're coming into my zone?  Here, let's angle you off this way and I'll just take this puck from you.  Thank you, come again.

The kicker is his compete level and that he raises his game when it really counts.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

I don't think GM JB was ever considering picking Tkachuk regardless. If the draft went differently and Columbus selected Puljujarvi instead, the Oilers were highly suspected of drafting Juolevi for themselves because of high organizational needs, as exhibited in their Taylor Hall trade shortly after. Given this scenario, I think the Canucks were ready to select Dubois. Thus, there is no real scenario where we would have picked Tkachuk, there is no real debate to be had because he was never going to be a Canuck. It was always either Dubois or Juolevi. 

There it is, plain and simple.  Tkachuk himself said after the draft, "I had a meeting with them (Canucks) at the (draft) combine and it never seemed like they were that interested", this despite Benning saying he was the best player in the draft below the dot.  Clearly they saw something they REALLY liked in Dubois and Juolevi.

To reiterate -- bottom line, we weren't getting Tkachuk regardless.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

There it is, plain and simple.  Tkachuk himself said after the draft, "I had a meeting with them (Canucks) at the (draft) combine and it never seemed like they were that interested", this despite Benning saying he was the best player in the draft below the dot.  Clearly they saw something they REALLY liked in Dubois and Juolevi.

To reiterate -- bottom line, we weren't getting Tkachuk regardless.

Wonder if Tkachuks cocky attitude rubbed Benning and his brass the wrong way, Benning was involved in trading Seguin cause of his apparent bad attitude as well so I can see how Tkachuk wouldn't really fit the mold of a Benning type guy

2 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Wonder if Tkachuks cocky attitude rubbed Benning and his brass the wrong way, Benning was involved in trading Seguin cause of his apparent bad attitude as well so I can see how Tkachuk wouldn't really fit the mold of a Benning type guy

Was just thinking that, very possible they were turned off by his over-the-line play.  While they do want grit, they have yet to draft anyone like him who actively seeks to agitate and get away with pushing such limits.

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Was just thinking that, very possible they were turned off by his over-the-line play.  While they do want grit, they have yet to draft anyone like him who actively seeks to agitate and get away with pushing such limits.

Kinda surprising though really with Benning's talk of meat and potatoes when he first came here and drafting Virtanen instead of Ehlers and Nylander. Other than Tkachuks cocky attitude he seems like a Benning type guy. I mean this is the guy who was assistant GM of the Bruins who won the cup with a team full of guys that crossed the line all the time.

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yet, they kept the King Rat himself. That alone makes me think that it is more than just on ice antics. For what it is worth, Marchand does speak quite maturely about the game in interviews and realizes what things are for what they are. 

16 hours ago, Warhippy said:

A few things stick out to me.

1.  Juolevi is an absolute master at boxing out players, 3:01, 3:30, 6:07 and so on.  he simply uses his stick and body to force guys wide or boxes them towards the corner.  Non aggressive very passive direction.  There is alwso a few points in there where he interposes his body between the opposing forward and the net when they simply try to go through him

2.  At 3:22 there is a play along the boards in which he simply glides in steals the puck for a safe play and out it goes.  If you've watched the tire fire board battles on the Nucks the last 2 seasons you'll know how important that kind of cool patience is.  He's not another body in there, he sneaks in snaps the puck up and gone.

3.  At 4:21 his board play is spot on, he simply leans on his check against the boards, his arm looks draped or leaning on his shoulders but is in no way a hold and he keeps him from the play while helping protect the puck as it is battled for by his d pairing 

4.  At 6:41 the puck is fired towards Vilardi (#13) and watch how Juolevi handles him in the ensuing sequence up to and including the lone man in the slot he helps break up saving a solid scoring chance (it's actually really good)

5.  At 8:45 he makes a decent and smart move to save his partners arse after he Edlers the puck into opposing hands.  Again smart, very smart

6.  At 9:35 watch how he handles a genuine threat, he takes his man out the same way Rafalski used to it's kinda funny.  "Blocking the puck" and oops he went with me

Seriously, watching this I am shocked at how far down his ice time does appear from last year.  Whether that is from sheltered minutes or the emergence of Mete etc for a more balanced D core who knows.  But bottom line is he is so bloody smart it is like watching Hank Sedin except as a defenceman 2009-2011.  The anticipation of the play and the intelligence he shows in either breaking up a play or helping make something happens is remarkable really.

After the Virtanen pick we all made such a huge deal about "hockey IQ" well this is an absolute display of what true hockey IQ looks like.  He is smart, he is able to anticipate the play and as an added bonus, it appeared that every time Vilardi was on the ice he was on him like a blanket.  We got to see him shut down what is apparently a consensus or near consensus top 5 pick this year with relative ease.

This is not to say Vilardi was not playing well, he was obviously making things happen.  But he was absolutely put in check by OJ and even better, near the last 4 minutes of this clip you could see how chippy the game was getting and OJ never faltered a single step.  Same plays same urgency same cool demeanor.

The guy is going to be a solid D man for us in the future

Mad props!!

Great review and where do you find the time?  

IMO you are the class of the board and I appreciate your contributions.  

EW

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

I think it's more about redundant skill sets. 

Between Boeser and Virtanen we already look set to largely have what MT brings. We didn't have a PLD or Juolevi skill set.

Otherwise their respective values were all basically on par. PLD, OJ, MT, Keller, Nylander, Jost and Serg are all of comparable quality/'value' just with varrying skill sets/attributes/positions.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Mad props!!

Great review and where do you find the time?  

IMO you are the class of the board and I appreciate your contributions.  

EW

no I am not, I am antagonistic and trollish annoying and grumpy but I like hockey and it was a good excuse to watch Vilardi as well as Juolevi.

A really fun takeaway would be watching a Vilardi package of the same game

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Warhippy said:

A few things stick out to me.

1.  Juolevi is an absolute master at boxing out players, 3:01, 3:30, 6:07 and so on.  he simply uses his stick and body to force guys wide or boxes them towards the corner.  Non aggressive very passive direction.  There is alwso a few points in there where he interposes his body between the opposing forward and the net when they simply try to go through him

2.  At 3:22 there is a play along the boards in which he simply glides in steals the puck for a safe play and out it goes.  If you've watched the tire fire board battles on the Nucks the last 2 seasons you'll know how important that kind of cool patience is.  He's not another body in there, he sneaks in snaps the puck up and gone.

3.  At 4:21 his board play is spot on, he simply leans on his check against the boards, his arm looks draped or leaning on his shoulders but is in no way a hold and he keeps him from the play while helping protect the puck as it is battled for by his d pairing 

4.  At 6:41 the puck is fired towards Vilardi (#13) and watch how Juolevi handles him in the ensuing sequence up to and including the lone man in the slot he helps break up saving a solid scoring chance (it's actually really good)

5.  At 8:45 he makes a decent and smart move to save his partners arse after he Edlers the puck into opposing hands.  Again smart, very smart

6.  At 9:35 watch how he handles a genuine threat, he takes his man out the same way Rafalski used to it's kinda funny.  "Blocking the puck" and oops he went with me

Seriously, watching this I am shocked at how far down his ice time does appear from last year.  Whether that is from sheltered minutes or the emergence of Mete etc for a more balanced D core who knows.  But bottom line is he is so bloody smart it is like watching Hank Sedin except as a defenceman 2009-2011.  The anticipation of the play and the intelligence he shows in either breaking up a play or helping make something happens is remarkable really.

After the Virtanen pick we all made such a huge deal about "hockey IQ" well this is an absolute display of what true hockey IQ looks like.  He is smart, he is able to anticipate the play and as an added bonus, it appeared that every time Vilardi was on the ice he was on him like a blanket.  We got to see him shut down what is apparently a consensus or near consensus top 5 pick this year with relative ease.

This is not to say Vilardi was not playing well, he was obviously making things happen.  But he was absolutely put in check by OJ and even better, near the last 4 minutes of this clip you could see how chippy the game was getting and OJ never faltered a single step.  Same plays same urgency same cool demeanor.

The guy is going to be a solid D man for us in the future

Thanks for posting that....some folks on here can watch a whole game and not see any of that somehow...that's why I keep using the "just watch" mantra....same with Boeser he does the little things and know where to be....nothing to flashy, just effective.

3 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

Yet, they kept the King Rat himself. That alone makes me think that it is more than just on ice antics. For what it is worth, Marchand does speak quite maturely about the game in interviews and realizes what things are for what they are. 

Most likely they kept ratboy because they recognized his potential. A really obnoxious, annoying player like that with his skill level is a pretty rare, valuable asset. Maybe Keith's kid will get to that level, but he has a way to go yet.

11 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Most likely they kept ratboy because they recognized his potential. A really obnoxious, annoying player like that with his skill level is a pretty rare, valuable asset. Maybe Keith's kid will get to that level, but he has a way to go yet.

At 19, Tkachuk is signficantly more skilled and obnoxious than Marchand was at the same age.

Not saying it's a sure thing that he'll get as good as Marchand is now, but the potential is definitely there.

54 minutes ago, D-Money said:

At 19, Tkachuk is signficantly more skilled and obnoxious than Marchand was at the same age.

Not saying it's a sure thing that he'll get as good as Marchand is now, but the potential is definitely there.

It's extremely difficult to project the career trajectory of a teenager. Benning's very good at it, but even he makes mistakes. The CDC posters who go on endlessly about various kids' career "ceilings" are almost invariably out to lunch. Many kids look great as teenagers, but very few continue that steep improvement curve all the way to NHL star.

Others break out on the upside. When he was a teenager, how many people believed that ratboy would be in the conversation for Art Ross and Hart ten years later? I would say almost none, or he wouldn't have lasted into the third round of the entry draft.

Getting back on topic, OJ might become a solid top 4 Dman, he might become a Norris winner, or he might be a complete bust. At this point nobody knows for sure. Right now I'm leaning toward solid top pairing Dman.

• Upvote 1

Just now, ReggieBush said:

Why are we still talking about MT in Juolevi's thread?

Real talk, I think I might make a thread for other teams prospects so we can get rid of this garbage

agreed, i open up these threads to see how our prospects are doing and a lot of the time i have to sort through so much useless info just to get what im looking for. Bottom line is our prospects are ours and we can't really worry about other teams players. 

I can somewhat understand other players coming up in these threads for comparisons sake but most of what i see is garbage. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, lethal_spaghetti said:

agreed, i open up these threads to see how our prospects are doing and a lot of the time i have to sort through so much useless info just to get what im looking for. Bottom line is our prospects are ours and we can't really worry about other teams players. 

I can somewhat understand other players coming up in these threads for comparisons sake but most of what i see is garbage. 

Why are you piling on then?  

Of the two, Goldobin and Dhalin, I see Dhalin as being the better prospect.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

no I am not, I am antagonistic and trollish annoying and grumpy but I like hockey and it was a good excuse to watch Vilardi as well as Juolevi.

A really fun takeaway would be watching a Vilardi package of the same game

So you want Vilardi in the upcoming draft as well? Thatta boy.