The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

14 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Good writeup on Juolevi from Canucks Army, as part of their ongoing preseason prospects rankings:

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/09/07/canucks-army-pre-season-prospect-profiles-3-olli-juolevi/

Excerpt (well worth the read IMO):

Thanks for the tip, Sid. It is a good article. I found the discussion of the Juolevi's changed role particularly interesting (PK and shutdown instead of easier minutes). This gets at a longstanding "pet peeve" of mine, which is that we do not pay enough attention to quality of competition (QOC). Even the rare attempts that are made to adjust for QOC usually do not adjust enough (and it is very hard to do well). 

A key point in the article is that Juolevi faced very tough QOC last year and had weaker quality of teammates (QOT) as well. Getting very similar numbers to the previous year despite that increase in QOC and reduction in QOT shows significant progress. It also explains why his pGPS (probability of becoming a good NHL player) of 29.5% is so low. His pGPS is certainly too low as it is based only on scoring and does not account for QOC or for defensive play at all.

I admit that I was one of the people disappointed in Juolevi's progress last year and this article makes me feel better. But, as acknowledged by the article, Juolevi is still not as good a prospect at this stage as you would hope for a #5 overall pick. I am much more confident about Pettersson, for example. And Juolevi's performance at the WJC last year was definitely disappointing. After losing Laine and Pulujarvi from the previous year the Finnish team collapsed and Juolevi did not take over as a dominant player. I understand that people will say that is not is style. That is true, but what this means is that Juolevi is likely to be at best a good complementary player at the NHL level, not that elusive legitimate "top of depth chart" D-man the Canucks have been trying to get.

There is still a lot of uncertainty regarding Juolevi (obviously). This year will be very interesting from a developmental point of view. I personally would be happy to see him go back to Junior and dominate in the OHL and at the WJC this year. But if he really shines in pre-season and makes the big team, great.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

Thanks for the tip, Sid. It is a good article. I found the discussion of the Juolevi's changed role particularly interesting (PK and shutdown instead of easier minutes). This gets at a longstanding "pet peeve" of mine, which is that we do not pay enough attention to quality of competition (QOC). Even the rare attempts that are made to adjust for QOC usually do not adjust enough (and it is very hard to do well). 

A key point in the article is that Juolevi faced very tough QOC last year and had weaker quality of teammates (QOT) as well. Getting very similar numbers to the previous year despite that increase in QOC and reduction in QOT shows significant progress. It also explains why his pGPS (probability of becoming a good NHL player) of 29.5% is so low. His pGPS is certainly too low as it is based only on scoring and does not account for QOC or for defensive play at all.

I admit that I was one of the people disappointed in Juolevi's progress last year and this article makes me feel better. But, as acknowledged by the article, Juolevi is still not as good a prospect at this stage as you would hope for a #5 overall pick. I am much more confident about Pettersson, for example. And Juolevi's performance at the WJC last year was definitely disappointing. After losing Laine and Pulujarvi from the previous year the Finnish team collapsed and Juolevi did not take over as a dominant player. I understand that people will say that is not is style. That is true, but what this means is that Juolevi is likely to be at best a good complementary player at the NHL level, not that elusive legitimate "top of depth chart" D-man the Canucks have been trying to get.

There is still a lot of uncertainty regarding Juolevi (obviously). This year will be very interesting from a developmental point of view. I personally would be happy to see him go back to Junior and dominate in the OHL and at the WJC this year. But if he really shines in pre-season and makes the big team, great.

Labelling a young prospect one way or the other is a mugs game in most instances. Dale Hunter made no bones about how he was using OJ last year. He lost his offensive stars on London and had to revamp his coaching to accommodate that loss. OJ was his star d-man he put him where he thought he could most benefit the team. In the Mem Cup Hunter used OJ on the PK and PP as his #1D. I thought Joulevi came through as a star. Again, this is why I want OJ back in London again this year. The London offence is a year older and the team will be a Mem Cup contender again this year. I expect a more offensive season from OJ as a result. Dale Hunter is one of the best coaches in hockey outside of the NHL. I have the utmost confidence in his ability to coach OJ to a NHL standard. I see OJ coming to the Canucks as mentally well prepared prospect as Bo Horvat was.  

I do not hold OJ responsible for what happened with a disaster of a Finland team last year.

Edited by Boudrias
  • Upvote 1

On 9/5/2017 at 6:26 AM, Vanuckles said:

Amazing. I think the only question is if his skating (and to a lesser extent, his shot) are good enough for the NHL or if he needs a year in Europe. Both of which can be worked on heavily while he's in Europe, so it's of no concern.

Skating?   OJ has likely had NHL skating skill since he was in CHL.   I don't think he has ever had that questioned at all with many in his draft year saying he may have had the overall best skating (smooth, speed, transition) of anyone.   The concern with OJ has been putting sufficient bulk on his frame whilst keeping the skill.

On 9/5/2017 at 8:20 AM, Mackcanuck said:
Rick Dhaliwal @DhaliwalSports  32m32 minutes ago

Olli Juolevi's agent Markus Lehto says his client looks bigger and progress was made on strength this summer. #Canucks

Lehto says he has options for Juolevi in Europe but won't deal with them till October. #Canucks

Lehto says Juolevi is concentrating on making the #Canucks and not where he will play if he doesn't make it in Vancouver.

I find it kind of odd that Olli's agent says his "client looks bigger" as opposed to simply saying that he is bigger. The same could be said for "progress was made on strength this summer" as opposed to saying he has gained the strength to be an NHL player. He certainly isn't giving Olli a ringing endorsement for being NHL ready.

8 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I find it kind of odd that Olli's agent says his "client looks bigger" as opposed to simply saying that he is bigger. The same could be said for "progress was made on strength this summer" as opposed to saying he has gained the strength to be an NHL player. He certainly isn't giving Olli a ringing endorsement for being NHL ready.

Or you're reading too much into it 

• Upvote 4

On 2017-09-07 at 11:46 AM, J.R. said:

Decidedly balanced and reasoned...given the author:lol:

True. To his credit, I think JD (and the rest of CA) has become more "balanced and reasoned" over the past few months.

I'd like to believe this is in response to the feedback they've been getting from their readers.

However, I kind of suspect it has something to do with the fact that Canucks Army writers have started doing freelance work for CDC. Many of the prospects reports and player profiles on the main site are now being written by current CA staff.

Kind of hard to make it your mission to criticize this regime and still hope to get handed assignments by the team's official website.

EDIT: It's going to be funny when the day comes that Canucks Army writers have to deal with young whippersnappers from the next "new media" outlet calling them out for being "too close" to the regime.

In particular, I'm thinking about this "gem" about Iain MacIntye: https://canucksarmy.com/2017/03/10/dont-believe-anything-iain-macintyre-tells-you-about-the-canucks-and-rebuilding/

Whenever their comeuppance arrives, it'll be well deserved. ;) 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I agree that he will be fine - however, some want players to develop on their time schedule and not what the player requires.   Look at poor Virtanen the past two years - and now that he is showing the type of player he can be, the "bust" calls are slowing down at least a bit.   People in Vancouver, where the Sedins too until they were mid 20s to really get going, should know how long it can take.   

Preaching to the choir, bud. That incessant need to shred our prospects to pieces is one reason the media knows negative reporting will generate views and clicks. So many are ready to fell just in their assessments. Oh well, if some of us can help one or 2 people per day or so temper their expectations and timelines of our prospects then we'll be on the right track, but sometimes it's easier to become frustrated rather than have the conversation.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I agree that he will be fine - however, some want players to develop on their time schedule and not what the player requires.   Look at poor Virtanen the past two years - and now that he is showing the type of player he can be, the "bust" calls are slowing down at least a bit.   People in Vancouver, where the Sedins too until they were mid 20s to really get going, should know how long it can take.   

For now.