The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

6 hours ago, aqua59 said:

Actually that group along with others will be needing to figure out how to get through Vancouvers defence and score. That's how this is shaping up. 

Ther ya go.   We have confirmation of what a Benning team is.  A pain in the ass to play against

I don't want to see this kid in the NHL until he spends some time in Utica. McCann, Virtanen and Horvat should have all taken this route. It's not a question of whether they can or can't play in the NHL. It's more about not cutting corners in a players development. The development of players should come well ahead of the team's priorities. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

I honestly think Olli Maata is the floor potential for Juolevi and that should be exciting for everyone. Juolevi is better offensively and Maata is a little better defensively but they are both very similar in other aspects. I see a lot of OEL in Juolevi's game. Warming up to this pick even more as time goes by. 

I agree, Maata doesn't have half the hockey IQ Juolevi has. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, shiznak said:

Is he really, though?

Didn't he produces most of his points off the man-advantage, where he's pretty much fed his passes to Marner and Dvorak for the "give me" assists? You also can't ignore that he plays for one of the top offensive team, in all of major juniors and played in a stacked Finnish World Junior team, with Aho, Puljujarvvi, and Laine.

I honestly don't really see his offensive ceiling that high, for the reasons above. He'd be a great defensemen, don't get me wrong, but I think his productions will top-up at 40 points. Similar to Hamhuis' production, which I see a lot of in Juolevi's game. Safe, smart, great first pass, not overly physical, nothing to fancy.

Check @Junkyard Dog's post on Page 26. 

19 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Problem is, we can only protect 3 D in the upcoming expansion draft. Juolevi is of course exempt, but with Edler requiring protection (as he has an NTC), this leaves us with only 2 guys we can protect of Tanev/Hutton/Gudbranson/Tryamkin. I think we lose a defenseman in the expansion unfortunately. 

This has been discussed a few times and people seem to have different ideas.  One thing I do know is different websites seem to have different answers on the wording.

One thing that does seem to be pretty unanimous is that it is only full NMC's that have to be protected... Which means that only Daniel and Henrik have to be protected. Limited or NTC do not.  If that wasn't the case I believe Sutter, Hansen, Edler and Tanev would also have to be protected.... I could be very wrong on this.

Second, players in there first two years do not need to be protected.  This one is even more vague but the definition of second pro year counts until the start of their third year of NHL or AHL. So that would mean Virtanen, Hutton, the Tree (depending on KHL eligibility) shouldn't have to be protected.

Also you have two routes of protection, 7 forwards and 3 defenseman or 8 skaters total.

I am be no means an expert but have tried to read up on this a few times because I keep getting different answers.  Canucks army seems to have a decent description.... But again it could be just as wrong as all the other sites it contradicts.

http://canucksarmy.com/2016/6/22/nhl-approves-expansion-and-releases-official-expansion-draft-rules

Edited by TheYjUstMaKeYoUwooZy
Grammar as usual

It was the right pick to make, given our situation. We do lack some more scoring F depth with some recent moves we made earlier in the year, but maybe we will be addressing some of that with a pending UFA signing here shortly.

I also think that this could open up the door for a potential move of the NTC D man in Edler, he could be the main part of a deal to bring in some scoring help upfront also. Might not happen right away but in the next year or so depending how our newish D core does going forward.

Juolevi has grown on me more with his interviews, always like Lumme and Salo as ex canucks who were Finnish and Juolevi is likely going to become a fan favourite once he starts making his mark when ready at the NHL level.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Check out what happens behind the scenes of the NHL Draft as Canucks TV follows Olli Juolevi through the media gauntlet after he was selected 5th overall at the 2016 NHL Entry Draft.

I'm really excited for this kid. 

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, Caknuckle Puck said:

Worst fan base in history of sport, we do something they get pissed, we dont do something they get pissed, we draft a potential #1 defender they get pissed lol smh -__-

I agree to a curtain point. But there is hope. If we take the total membership on the CDC and air waves that is complaining about the moves the Canucks have made, the number is very low when it comes to the great fan base. In reality most fans don't care until Vancouver makes the play offs. 

You, I and others may get worked up on these boards but the number is low and the chances are high that the whiners on this site have been conditioned to whine about every other thing that happens in life too.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, shiznak said:

Is he really, though?

Didn't he produces most of his points off the man-advantage, where he's pretty much fed his passes to Marner and Dvorak for the "give me" assists? You also can't ignore that he plays for one of the top offensive team, in all of major juniors and played in a stacked Finnish World Junior team, with Aho, Puljujarvvi, and Laine.

I honestly don't really see his offensive ceiling that high, for the reasons above. He'd be a great defensemen, don't get me wrong, but I think his productions will top-up at 40 points. Similar to Hamhuis' production, which I see a lot of in Juolevi's game. Safe, smart, great first pass, not overly physical, nothing to fancy.

That works both ways, Juolevi  D-zone play, turning play up the ice with crisp first passes certainly contributes to his teams transition to offense, so one could also wonder how Juolevi's game might have impacted London's big line's performance?

Many moan and groan about a D-man like Edler, except when you consider the teams win loss record when he's not in the line-up, same as Salo before, so many whiners about him getting injured a lot, but he was quietly one of the most effective D-men we've ever had.

As for offence, no one can say what his ceiling is until his been in the league a couple of years, Doughty had 8 more points his draft year in one less game, what does that tell you, nothing.

I don't know much about which types of dmen work well with which but wouldn't guddy and olli be unstoppable in the future?? pls correct me if I'm wrong but them paired together down the road gets me excited.

50 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Here's a great article on Juolevi

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-add-top-pairing-blue-liner-juolevi-5th-overall/

Believe I heard someone (linden) say he is not on loan like honka and is ineligible for the ahl. So it's nhl or London.

No he is own loan. I know d takes longer, but if any d of the draft can turn pro might be him.if he comes into at around 200;and does well who knows. im not saying he hanifin oe ekblad . just saying not un heard of. if not maybe utica i guess time will tell

On 6/24/2016 at 6:16 PM, Odd. said:

We got our PMD, PPQB, top pairing defenseman. I love this pick so much. I remember wanting this guy so bad when I saw how good of a PMD he was at the World Juniors mid way through the year. This guy is such a great defenseman. He's been compared to with the likes of Oliver Ekman Larsson, Hampus Lindholm. This guy is the most complete defenseman in the draft. He's second to Jake Bean in terms of being a pure offensive player in the draft. 

He's got the IQ

He's got the heavy shot, accurate shot. 

He's got great vision and a great first pass. Very happy with this pick.

We've now gotten our cornerstone franchise defenseman. This rebuild has only begun. We've got our #1 goaltender set, we've got our potential top pairing defenseman checked off. We've still got ways to go, but Benning certainly adressed our defensive issues this off-season and I can't be more excited about our defense.

I'll take a defenseman who plays and is compared to OEL anyday. 

Great pick Benning. 

We shall see.

say what? Juolevi at 5? :o.... that was a surprise.

but its not a bad pick at all if you expect him to be an offensive defenseman with great 2-way hockey sense. a similar player like him would be my favorite d-man in the game rite now, Duncan Keith. :)

after he was drafted i did my homework on why benning would pick him over tkachuk and i can see why.

- has great hockey iq (high iq usually means 2-way hockey, no matter what the player is labeled as)

- can make plays on the fly when his teammates don't know what to do next (makes them better)

- has the vision to find the open ice (great outlet passes or even skates thru the neutral zone on his own)

- not physical, but is always in great position to cut off passes (iq)

- smooth skater and doesn't panic with the puck (rarely makes bad turnovers)

- loves to have the puck in all situation (always thinking of a play for better offense)

- if he pans out, he will be in rare company like Duncan Keith

in the end if you think about it. we can always get another forward down the road. but to get or even find a player this rare will be hard to do. especially in a trade. easiest way is to pick them up in a draft draft. so i say great drafting and hope for the best for Joulevi because there are still mad canuck fans out there that wanted tkachuk.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bubbaCHUCK said:

say what? Juolevi at 5? :o.... that was a surprise.

but its not a bad pick at all if you expect him to be an offensive defenseman with great 2-way hockey sense. a similar player like him would be my favorite d-man in the game rite now, Duncan Keith. :)

after he was drafted i did my homework on why benning would pick him over tkachuk and i can see why.

- has great hockey iq (high iq usually means 2-way hockey, no matter what the player is labeled as)

- can make plays on the fly when his teammates don't know what to do next (makes them better)

- has the vision to find the open ice (great outlet passes or even skates thru the neutral zone on his own)

- not physical, but is always in great position to cut off passes (iq)

- smooth skater and doesn't panic with the puck (rarely makes bad turnovers)

- loves to have the puck in all situation (always thinking of a play for better offense)

- if he pans out, he will be in rare company like Duncan Keith

in the end if you think about it. we can always get another forward down the road. but to get or even find a player this rare will be hard to do. especially in a trade. easiest way is to pick them up in a draft draft. so i say great drafting and hope for the best for Joulevi because there are still mad canuck fans out there that wanted tkachuk.

I think they need to redefine the measurements of the Norris. Or add in a new trophy for d man with most points.

Karlsson plays the role of a defencemen but id notoriously known for being a risky lack luster defender.

He and Pk can duke it out for dinner man point trophy lol.