The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

28 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Ok that is patently untrue

He had a great WJC in a bad Finnish team.  Defensive player of the tournament for the team

Play better?  Currently having an amazing U-20 season for a rookie.

You cannot ask a guy who is potentially setting a rookie season record for defencemen to play better 

Man...some of you and your unrealistic expectations and impatience sre worse than Desi ever was.  No need to make things up or discount the season he is having to suit your narrative 

My expectations is for him not to be a healthy scratch...

11 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

...and you are living up to my expectations...don't know how you made it up to 73%....seem like a solid D. student too me....

Oli is a bit like Hutton...big kids that need some time to mature....

They will both be fine, they are still basically kids....

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

I mean, the guy has been in 3 world junior championships and it’s pretty much consensus that this past one was his personal best. 

People are excited about joulevi because he has gotten better each year, not because he was a healthy scratch the last couple games. 

I dont get to watch a lot of liiga games because it’s hard to find a good stream online (for me at least lol), so for joulevi’s regular season progression I mostly go by the Sami Salo interviews, which indicate he’s been improving over the year

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

Boeser was a healthy scratch two games, because TG thought Boeser was tired.  No biggy here.  Ollie is tired, and likely feeling like he has dead legs.  He's young.  He needs a break.  It's best he gets rest.  Hopefully, he doesn't spend his time in Vegas.  B)

Edited by Alflives

3 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Why do people keep bringing heiskanen up? I don't care what that kid does. He's not a canuck prospect and there's no sign he'll be a canuck player.  I'm talking about olli juolevi here. 

Olli was benched. On top of that he had another poor outing at the WJC.  We're building something in Vancouver and if he wants to be a part of it he needs to play better.

Probably because Heisk is a fairly direct comparable. He's a bit more offensively inclined and 10 months younger but otherwise they're fairly close to being on par.

And OJ was one of, if not the best D on the FIN team in the WJC and had a pretty damn good tourny despite the overall FIN team being pretty mediocre.

Would it be better if he wasn't sat for a couple games? Yes. But most U20 kids get sat here and there in pretty much every league (including the aforementioned comparable, Hesikanen). Is it good? No. Is it cause for concern? No.

2 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Clearly bust.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I'm still waiting for @Rob_Zepp's explanation on Juolevi being sick. Maybe there is something more in Finland that we don't know about. 

Maybe in the interest of world peace, we can read some of Salo’s comments as suggesting Olli wasn’t feeling 100%?

“3 weeks travelling to World Junior's affected Olli. He hasn't been as sharp and clear, same thing happened to our other World Junior player.” 

Maybe he didn't have the flu. But it was going around and several players were either sick during the tournament or came down with it after. 

I dunno. I don’t really want to invest any time being an apologist here. But it’s possible there was speculation some point that Juolevi was ill.

Of course the whole not sharing the source thing is pretty suspect. I’ve never seen that approach go over well for anybody.

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

But he did share a source...a source to Juolevi's wikipedia page... And then he told us to go to the team website, translate it all and find it ourselves because he "isn't our secretary"  And now who the hell knows what else he has been making up, he's been claiming he has inside knowledge on many different topics.  He is a true troll

Yeah, I know. All that stuff wasn’t cool. Just saying there might have been some truth initially. And then things just turned snarky.

EDIT: And “troll” is pretty harsh. I find Rob to be a pretty knowledgeable poster with a lot to offer. We’ve had some great player discussions and he clearly knows a lot about the game.

I’d agree that the recent stuff was a bit trollish and could’ve been better handled by either direct linking the source, or just stating clearly to everyone that the source was private. That would’ve ended the whole thing.

As far as whether he’s “the real” Rob Zepp or not, honestly I don’t care. I will say that over his posting history, he’s revealed several small details about himself that actually check out. So if he’s faking, he’s invested a lot of time and research into it (which I’d almost find more enjoyable). 

But whatever, I initially said I wasn’t gonna invest time today being an apologist, and I’ve already spilled more ink than I intended on this topic.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

But he did share a source...a source to Juolevi's wikipedia page... And then he told us to go to the team website, translate it all and find it ourselves because he "isn't our secretary"  And now who the hell knows what else he has been making up, he's been claiming he has inside knowledge on many different topics.  There is no evidence anywhere of him being even somewhat sick, and the flu is pretty black and white if you ask me  He is a true troll

You are an interesting fellow for certain.   If you have sources you trust, use them.  I am happy with mine and have not a clue why my sources matter to you.   Why is my opinion so important to you?

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, joe-max said:

I watched all the Finnish games. Juolevi was rock solid, unlike Heiskanen, who I believed tried to force things too much, he played an extremely calm, confident and effective game. In the quarterfinals Finland outshot the Czechs 54 - 30, but lost in the shootout. Happens. Before that the had lost 2-3 to Canada and 5-6 to the USA. Both very even affairs. No reason to discredit the team, they just lacked fin(n)ish.

I don't see that. Sure, similar age, same nation, but totally different style of players. You wouldn't constantly compare Lind and Gadjovich although they are both Canadian, of the same age and both play junior hockey. 

Not sure what the big fuss is all about. He was obviously a bit under the weather and not in best form. Sick, tired, overplayed, whatever. No real contradiction here.

'On par' doesn't equal same 'play style' and my post says Heiskanen is more offensive right there in plain English. 

They're both almost the same age, playing the same position, in the same league with very similar production.

Their value is pretty darn close to on par.

Just now, joe-max said:

Again, I don't see the point in constantly comparing the two. Where do you start, where do you stop?

Juolevi has scored 17 points in 26 games, while Heiskanen has 18 in 23. This makes Heiskanen 17% better. Then again he played easier teams. That takes 1.3% away. Juolevi is a rookie, he deserves a bonus of 3.6% for that, but Heiskanen is younger, so he gets a 2.1% bonus. Heiskanen has already had a concussion, add 15% bust potential, but Juolevi loses 10% for getting stripped of the team-Finland-captaincy. The recent scratches easily cost Juolevi 11%, then again the Dobber Porpsects said in June 17 that Heiskanen's "offensive ceiling is not too high and he may never quarterback the powerplay". Impossible. Minus 20.2%. Juolevi is bigger and heavier (+8%), but he is a Taurus and everyone knows those born under this sign revel in delicious excess (-15%). TPS is 6 points up in the standings, that makes Juolevi better by about 5%, but Heiskanen has got the better hair, +3%.

But don't forget to take into account that Juolevi was drafted at 5, Heiskanen at 3. So expecations should be 12.33% higher for Heiskanen.

No two players are exactly the same.

People still compare players and there's no reason not to.

There's nothing wrong with comparing similar (not the same) players.