The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

7 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Looking at how our other young defencemen have developed under Cull, I wouldn’t mind a bit if Juolevi spent a year there - it developed Holm enough to get us Leipsic.

It would be so nice to have Comet games televised. We could make a much better informed opinion.

Cull seems to be a good man to have in Utica. I think that he was our 3rd choice, so I'm not too sure how high our expectations were/ are.

I have heard Cull speak, maybe 3 times, and each time, he has included Ashton Sautner's name in a positive way. Reading between the lines, he seems to rate Sautner above Brisebois and Chatfield. ( he likes all 3 of those names)  I don't know what plans JB has for AS, ( he was held back by concussion issues 2016/ 17 ).

If nothing changes with our current d corps, I think that Juolevi has a big hill to climb before he is part of our top 6 d-men.

Edited by SingleThorn
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Yes Pouliot seems to be better on his natural side but having a guy that can play on both sides is huge as it allows for line shuffling when injuries come and so forth.

Ive been very impressed with him this year even though he wasn't playing so well for a while. Think he makes one of Del Zotto or Hutton trade bait this summer as Juolevi is coming to.

FYI, that was largely while he was playing his off side ;)

But yes that can be helpful during periods of injury. That want really the discussion though. The discussion was that there is clearly a log jam on the left side and that even without Juolevi, we need to move at least 1 guy. If Juolevi looks ready, we'll need to move another.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

But yes that can be helpful during periods of injury. That want really the discussion though. The discussion was that there is clearly a log jam on the left side and that even without Juolevi, we need to move at least 1 guy. If Juolevi looks ready, we'll need to move another.

I have a feeling of déjà vu. Is this 2010/2011 again? "We have a log jam on defense, so Bieksa needs to be moved". The Canucks injury situation tends to turn defensive log jams into shortages.

44 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

I have a feeling of déjà vu. Is this 2010/2011 again? "We have a log jam on defense, so Bieksa needs to be moved". The Canucks injury situation tends to turn defensive log jams into shortages.

Difference being we now actually will have capable prospects to call up from Utica as well as Benning is apparently quite aware we need to sign guys like Wiercioch 'just in case'.

It's not sustainable to be 4, 5 or 6 players deep of guys capable of playing full time in your top 6. Particularly when a good number of those guys need playing time to keep improving and developing as well. The older UFA guys also tend to get cranky if they're the ones not playing and start demanding trades. It's an untenable position.

Never mind that the D needs a pretty serious overhaul the next couple years anyway. You really think they can come back at fans next October with anything resembling this same group? I sure don't. Now don't mistake that as my thinking they should make short sighted change for the sake of change. But they do need to move out some of the logjam on the left and change up the personnel a bit. Whether that's for immediate improvement or a short term dip in favour of long term improvement... we shall see.

5 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

It would be so nice to have Comet games televised. We could make a much better informed opinion.

Cull seems to be a good man to have in Utica. I think that he was our 3rd choice, so I'm not too sure how high our expectations were/ are.

I have heard Cull speak, maybe 3 times, and each time, he has included Ashton Sautner's name in a positive way. Reading between the lines, he seems to rate Sautner above Brisebois and Chatfield. ( he likes all 3 of those names)  I don't know what plans JB has for AS, ( he was held back by concussion issues 2016/ 17 ).

If nothing changes with our current d corps, I think that Juolevi has a big hill to climb before he is part of our top 6 d-men.

I agree with you that Sautner's name is not mentioned much on here and yet Cull does speak positively. If I remember correctly Sautner played a year of over age in Edmonton so that should make him a year older than Chatfield and Brisbois. Could be wrong. I don't see any advantage to any of the three moving up for any significant games. Another year in Utica would be best. Very frustrating that McEneny lost a year as he was the one I hoped would have got a call this year. Comet defense could be strong next year and young.   

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I agree with you that Sautner's name is not mentioned much on here and yet Cull does speak positively. If I remember correctly Sautner played a year of over age in Edmonton so that should make him a year older than Chatfield and Brisbois. Could be wrong. I don't see any advantage to any of the three moving up for any significant games. Another year in Utica would be best. Very frustrating that McEneny lost a year as he was the one I hoped would have got a call this year. Comet defense could be strong next year and young.   

Saunter plays smart, but I'm not sure he's a good enough skater to make it to the next level.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Was Pouliot dinged up too? Don't remember hearing about that. 

Would figure with this team though :lol:

Yeah, around the time he started getting benched it came out that he was nursing an injury.  Seemed to coincide with a drop in his play, as it did for Gudbranson.

• Cheers 1

I think the offseason will see Tanev and Hutton move on (with potentially MDZ going at the deadline next year) so there will be a spot for Juolevi to take a camp but I would not be surprised if he starts in the AHL and finds his way up when the inevitable injury bug hits.

By all accounts, he seems to be having a good season this year and reminds me of his fellow countryman in many respects. Maata made the Pens as a surprise breakout at 19 (thanks to some key injuries) but really struggled the next couple years (injuries were also a factor). Now he's 23 and has found his form again and was a huge part of their cup run this past year.

I suspect we have something similar with our Olli, a solid defenseman on both ends who can play 20 mins a night while chipping in some points. Also FWIW, Ryan Suter didn't make the NHL until age 21 as a 7th overall pick.   Remember its not a matter of how soon he gets here but how effective he is when he does get here. 

Edited by naslundfan921

The problem is we have a logjam on the left side, but on the third pairing only.  We still have a huge shortage in our top 4.  Edler is the only LHD that can play in the top 4 regularly and he misses at least 15 games every year.  Everybody else is basically a bottom pairing.

Also with the injury our D sustain every year, the Canucks should always setup their roster 13/8, rather than 14/7.  Therefore, if Juolevi shows he can handle the NHL early on, then Edler is our regular 1st LHD, Juolevi is also a regular playing sheltered minutes to start, and then MDZ, Pouliot and Hutton can rotate in and out of the line-up filling up for injury.

Edler, Tanev/Gud (24 min)

Juolevi, Tanev/Gud (+/-18 min)

Any combo (MDZ, Pouliot, Hutton, Stetcher) (+/-18 min)

We could also trade Hutton and sign another Weircoch

On 2018-03-07 at 10:40 AM, aGENT said:

Time to move out some defenders. I would be happy to give Hutton a fresh look somewhere else for some else that needs a change of scene. 

MDZ would be easy to trade. Journeyman defender and good contract. 

Tanev. Would love to see a trade straight up for another 1st. This is the year to inject some future talent into our d corps. 

Edmonton, Toronto, NYI, and Rangers could all use Tanev among many other teams that are playoff bound. 

Toronto, Edmonton and NYI have to win now and have suspect defences. 

Flip Tanev to one of the above and take a d man with the pick. Bode Wilde, Jet Woo, K’andre Miller, Hughes, Dobson Bouchard or Bomquist. 

If we could come out of the draft with any two of the above, the d copra would be set up for years. Let alone if we some how could win the lotto and make it Dahlin plus one of the above or a good young center like Wahlstrom. 

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

The problem is we have a logjam on the left side, but on the third pairing only.  We still have a huge shortage in our top 4.  Edler is the only LHD that can play in the top 4 regularly and he misses at least 15 games every year.  Everybody else is basically a bottom pairing.

Also with the injury our D sustain every year, the Canucks should always setup their roster 13/8, rather than 14/7.  Therefore, if Juolevi shows he can handle the NHL early on, then Edler is our regular 1st LHD, Juolevi is also a regular playing sheltered minutes to start, and then MDZ, Pouliot and Hutton can rotate in and out of the line-up filling up for injury.

Edler, Tanev/Gud (24 min)

Juolevi, Tanev/Gud (+/-18 min)

Any combo (MDZ, Pouliot, Hutton, Stetcher) (+/-18 min)

We could also trade Hutton and sign another Weircoch

I would hope that this year has restored Pouliot’s confidence and he could take another step towards becoming a legit top 4 guy. The Edler Guddy combo has looked decent. I would be happy to see the pairing continue next year. 

OJ will need some time to become adjusted, but I would expect him to be in for 40 games. MDZ is insurance and Hutton needs a change of scenery as he has dropped below Pouliot and MDZ and OJ will overtake him this coming season. Quality is starting to replace quantity and we will have to trade some players. 

Pouloit has improved a great deal since the trade and I think he could be the top 4 LHD partner for Tanev or an FA if Tanev is traded. 

40 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Olli Juolevi with 1 assist today. He finishes the season with 19 points (7 goals, 12 assists) in 38 games.

Season over?  NHL bound?

Or playoffs?

Edited by Rush17