The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

4 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’ve had a busy week so haven’t really watched as many games as other weeks. Didn’t see Juolevi’s last couple (other than a few minutes here and there). Would agree that there are times when his passes die on his teammates’ sticks. You sometimes just imagine what an NHL player would have done with the same opportunity, but that’s just part of watching prospects. Same thing happened in Rathbone’s game where he’d put a perfect pass on a guy's tape and it would just bounce off (obviously a little easier to accept when it’s a high school forward flubbing the puck versus a pro in one of Europe’s better leagues).

And added to that flubbed outlet pass is the puck shot back into your zone. Compounding with more ozone time for the opposition. Often with you as a dman who just made a nice pass now stuck on the ice tired.

9 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’ve had a busy week so haven’t really watched as many games as other weeks. Didn’t see Juolevi’s last couple (other than a few minutes here and there). Would agree that there are times when his passes die on his teammates’ sticks. You sometimes just imagine what an NHL player would have done with the same opportunity, but that’s just part of watching prospects. Same thing happened in Rathbone’s game where he’d put a perfect pass on a guy's tape and it would just bounce off (obviously a little easier to accept when it’s a high school forward flubbing the puck versus a pro in one of Europe’s better leagues).

Sid what are your thoughts on Juolevi as far as development? Do you see him in Utica for one year... two years maybe? Or do you see him having a shot at full time NHL next year?

1 hour ago, Westcoasting said:

Sid what are your thoughts on Juolevi as far as development? Do you see him in Utica for one year... two years maybe? Or do you see him having a shot at full time NHL next year?

I think the organization is planning to have Juolevi in the Canucks lineup next year. Benning has said thing like “and with Juolevi joining the team next year” when he talks about next season. So it seems like the Canucks already have him pencilled in. And I think most likely he’ll be ready (or close).

I expect they’ll ease him into the lineup, shelter him with a veteran partner, limit his minutes, and gradually increase his role. I expect they’ll be very cautious not to push too much too soon on Juolevi, but that they’ll also give him every opportunity to succeed and a lot of rope to make mistakes.

Hopefully it all works out. If not, then the AHL is always there as a development option. But I think the organization is hoping (and betting) that Juolevi starts his full time NHL career in 2018-19.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

Yup, I think he and Pettersson are in the penciled-in category (in that they really want them on the team), and likely Gaudette with pen.  Worst-case they start in Utica if they have trouble adjusting, or maybe Pettersson with the smaller ice.  But this is again why we need to see some culling of the roster, especially if they also follow through with the signing of UFAs that they mentioned.  Would not be surprised to see Dahlen show well either, as he looks to have a more NA-style game, then there's the possibility of a Svechnikov/Zadina falling into our lap and directly onto the roster.  Also expecting good camps from Lind and Gadjovich being their second time around.

10 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yup, I think he and Pettersson are in the penciled-in category (in that they really want them on the team), and likely Gaudette with pen.  Worst-case they start in Utica if they have trouble adjusting, or maybe Pettersson with the smaller ice.  But this is again why we need to see some culling of the roster, especially if they also follow through with the signing of UFAs that they mentioned.  Would not be surprised to see Dahlen show well either, as he looks to have a more NA-style game, then there's the possibility of a Svechnikov/Zadina falling into our lap and directly onto the roster.  Also expecting good camps from Lind and Gadjovich being their second time around.

I think you hit all those with opportunity. Who we draft this summer has a chance but if a d-man not named Dahlin then likely not in. Camp could possibly be the hilight of the Canuck 2018-19 season! :) Not missing Penticton this year! Contrary to previous years I can see Benning culling vets in October if there is a strong camp. 

14 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think the organization is planning to have Juolevi in the Canucks lineup next year. Benning has said thing like “and with Juolevi joining the team next year” when he talks about next season. So it seems like the Canucks already have him pencilled in. And I think most likely he’ll be ready (or close).

I expect they’ll ease him into the lineup, shelter him with a veteran partner, limit his minutes, and gradually increase his role. I expect they’ll be very cautious not to push too much too soon on Juolevi, but that they’ll also give him every opportunity to succeed and a lot of rope to make mistakes.

Hopefully it all works out. If not, then the AHL is always there as a development option. But I think the organization is hoping (and betting) that Juolevi starts his full time NHL career in 2018-19.

Going to require a LOT of movement on that left side to get him in the starting 6 this summer. 

I read 'joining the team next year' (emphasis on joining IMO) as call ups with injuries and after the TDL personally.

29 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Going to require a LOT of movement on that left side to get him in the starting 6 this summer. 

I read 'joining the team next year' (emphasis on joining IMO) as call ups with injuries and after the TDL personally.

It might very well turn out that way. I’d certainly have no issue starting Juolevi in Utica. Maybe even preferable in some respects. But I just get the feeling the Canucks are really hoping Olli comes in and shows enough this preseason to justify placing him in the opening lineup.

I’m also expecting to see one LHD traded in the off-season (probably at the draft and hopefully MDZ instead of Hutton), which should make it workable.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It might very well turn out that way. I’d certainly have no issue starting Juolevi in Utica. Maybe even preferable in some respects. But I just get the feeling the Canucks are really hoping Olli comes in and shows enough this preseason to justify placing him in the opening lineup.

I’m also expecting to see one LHD traded in the off-season (probably at the draft and hopefully MDZ instead of Hutton), which should make it workable.

Even then, I could still see him getting the 'Stecher' treatment until injury or trade opens a spot.

Going to need at least two guys moved out, injured etc to make room for him. And that's without adding anyone else.

I'm actually quite curious to see what they do with the D this summer. Clearly they need to move out at least one LD but I keep hearing everyone say 'they can't come back with that same D next year' type statements. So even if you move one of the left D to clear the log jam a bit, it's still not actually 'different'.

As for MDZ vs Hutton...I suppose that will depend on what they plan to do with Edler. Do they plan to ask him to waive towards the TDL? Because if they do, say what you want about MDZ but I HIGHLY doubt they move forward with Hutton as the most veteran guy on the left side (Hutton, Pouliot, Juolevi). Which means they'd at least entertain extending MDZ as well IMO.  Alternative being to extend Edler while moving out MDZ. Though either would likely go over like a lead balloon in this market :lol:

Regardless, moving some of those guys out, whoever it ends up being, doesn't equate to the 'change' that I think people will be demanding. So does that point in the direction of the right side instead? Would they extend Gudbranson and trade him as soon as this summer? Is there ANY appetite to move Stech? Not likely IMO.

That leaves one guy...

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Even then, I could still see him getting the 'Stecher' treatment until injury or trade opens a spot.

Going to need at least two guys moved out, injured etc to make room for him. And that's without adding anyone else.

I'm actually quite curious to see what they do with the D this summer. Clearly they need to move out at least one LD but I keep hearing everyone say 'they can't come back with that same D next year' type statements. So even if you move one of the left D to clear the log jam a bit, it's still not actually 'different'.

As for MDZ vs Hutton...I suppose that will depend on what they plan to do with Edler. Do they plan to ask him to waive towards the TDL? Because if they do, say what you want about MDZ but I HIGHLY doubt they move forward with Hutton as the most veteran guy on the left side (Hutton, Pouliot, Juolevi). Which means they'd at least entertain extending MDZ as well IMO.  Alternative being to extend Edler while moving out MDZ. Though either would likely go over like a lead balloon in this market :lol:

Regardless, moving some of those guys out, whoever it ends up being, doesn't equate to the 'change' that I think people will be demanding. So does that point in the direction of the right side instead? Would they extend Gudbranson and trade him as soon as this summer? Is there ANY appetite to move Stech? Not likely IMO.

That leaves one guy...

Left side defense: Edler-MDZ-Hutton-Pouliot

I don't think there is any pressure to deal a LD. Maybe if Joulevi has a strong camp next fall they move someone. That stands true up front if prospects push their way onto the roster. On LD I would resign Edler and try and move MDZ if there was a offer. MDZ has a strong work ethic and if Hutton cannot amp up his effort then maybe he has to go. I still think Hutton can evolve. He has come to a career point where he has to realize his envelop is closing in Van as younger prospects possibly push him out. 'I just want to play' is assuming he might do better elsewhere. The position is extremely competitive and moving somewhere else, considering Van's current situation, is very questionable.  

12 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Left side defense: Edler-MDZ-Hutton-Pouliot

I don't think there is any pressure to deal a LD. Maybe if Joulevi has a strong camp next fall they move someone. That stands true up front if prospects push their way onto the roster. On LD I would resign Edler and try and move MDZ if there was a offer. MDZ has a strong work ethic and if Hutton cannot amp up his effort then maybe he has to go. I still think Hutton can evolve. He has come to a career point where he has to realize his envelop is closing in Van as younger prospects possibly push him out. 'I just want to play' is assuming he might do better elsewhere. The position is extremely competitive and moving somewhere else, considering Van's current situation, is very questionable.  

Disagree. If they actually want Hutton and/or Pouliot to improve, they need to play more often than not. Not be sitting in the press box.

They can sign another 'Wiercioch' etc to wear a suit and tie most nights.  That'll leave Juolevi, Brisebois, McEneny (if he clears) etc as  left depth they can recall.

Somebody needs to go. Soon to be followed by other somebodies as those 3 guys (or others) graduate.

Then there's the possibility of Tryamkin coming back in the next couple years too :lol:

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, aGENT said:

Disagree. If they actually want Hutton and/or Pouliot to improve, they need to play more often than not. Not be sitting in the press box.

They can sign another 'Wiercioch' etc to wear a suit and tie most nights.  That'll leave Juolevi, Brisebois, McEneny (if he clears) etc as  left depth they can recall.

Somebody needs to go. Soon to be followed by other somebodies as those 3 guys (or others) graduate.

Then there's the possibility of Tryamkin coming back in the next couple years too :lol:

Your points are well taken. It comes down to timing. I was very discouraged for McEneny this year when he got knocked out. I really thought he would see NHL games this year. My thought process on LD was more about next fall. I don't see Tryamkin showing up for another 2 years if ever. The pre-season next fall will be more than interesting. As much as management likely wants Joulevi starting the season in Van they aren't stupid and if time in the AHL is warranted then he will be in Utica. As much as I hope a prospect can force there way onto the roster I am not expecting it. The LD has both MDZ and Hutton playing 2 pairing TOI when neither are top 4 pairing d-men. I am not willing to see Hutton moved as yet. Failing a deal I can see MDZ coming back as a 2LD whether he is capable or not. Still hoping for a Tanev deal. 

On 2018-03-05 at 9:51 AM, Boudrias said:

I think you hit all those with opportunity. Who we draft this summer has a chance but if a d-man not named Dahlin then likely not in. Camp could possibly be the hilight of the Canuck 2018-19 season! :) Not missing Penticton this year! Contrary to previous years I can see Benning culling vets in October if there is a strong camp. 

If I recall correctly there won't be a tourney in Penticton this year, it's going to be hosted by the Flames and take place in Red Deer...IF I recall correctly...

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Your points are well taken. It comes down to timing. I was very discouraged for McEneny this year when he got knocked out. I really thought he would see NHL games this year. My thought process on LD was more about next fall. I don't see Tryamkin showing up for another 2 years if ever. The pre-season next fall will be more than interesting. As much as management likely wants Joulevi starting the season in Van they aren't stupid and if time in the AHL is warranted then he will be in Utica. As much as I hope a prospect can force there way onto the roster I am not expecting it. The LD has both MDZ and Hutton playing 2 pairing TOI when neither are top 4 pairing d-men. I am not willing to see Hutton moved as yet. Failing a deal I can see MDZ coming back as a 2LD whether he is capable or not. Still hoping for a Tanev deal. 

Well my 'timing' shows we have 4 guys able to play left side top 6 and only 3 spots to get the young guys the ice time they need :lol: As for whether any are 2nd pair capable, presently doesn't really matter IMO. They're all at least 3rd pair capable and that's the problem. Potentially adding Juolevi to that log jam isn't going to help but it's one of many reasons I think he at least starts in Utica.

Yeah. Mceneny's injury was unfortunate. Might help us waive him next fall though! Him and Brisebois should both be pushing for third pair audition time next year as well. Probably not regular spots but spot duty...quite possible.

It's getting crowded on that left side.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, joe-max said:

TPS has just won 5-4 against Vaasa. Juolevi with no points, 5 shots, +2 in 21:08 of ice time, the second most on the team (Btw, Palmu played 20:20, highest ice time of any TPS-forward). He played on the first pairing with Tallinder, on the 2nd PP unit and in overtime. He was on the ice for the game winner.

He looked good. Calm, crisp outlet/stretch passes, some dangerous shots. Interrupted a lot of plays with his stick and as soon as he had the puck in his own zone it was almost a guarantee that it went out safely and smoothly. He could have used his slapper a bit more, once missed the puck at the blue line on the PP (which he otherwise held excellenty) and lost the puck in OT when he tried to dangle into the o-zone (but retrieved it quickly).

I have little doubts that he will be physically ready next year, his frame stood out.

I thought so too.   He looks "bigger" recently in terms of how he is using his body to shield the puck and ride people off.  I was surprised he didn't get two secondary assists today.  I was also surprised he was only credited with 5 shots as I counted 7.    I also wondered why he didn't rifle it a few times but he seems keen on getting deflections or re-directs (and perhaps his coaches have said guys in front are tired of getting hit as OJ tends to shoot high).    

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, aGENT said:

Well my 'timing' shows we have 4 guys able to play left side top 6 and only 3 spots to get the young guys the ice time they need :lol: As for whether any are 2nd pair capable, presently doesn't really matter IMO. They're all at least 3rd pair capable and that's the problem. Potentially adding Juolevi to that log jam isn't going to help but it's one of many reasons I think he at least starts in Utica.

Yeah. Mceneny's injury was unfortunate. Might help us waive him next fall though! Him and Brisebois should both be pushing for third pair audition time next year as well. Probably not regular spots but spot duty...quite possible.

It's getting crowded on that left side.

Doesn't Pouliot play right side as well? If so that means he's depth for either side. Hutton on the bench, or injury depth seems 98% plausible.

1 minute ago, 867-five-309 said:

Doesn't Pouliot play right side as well? If so that means he's depth for either side. Hutton on the bench, or injury depth seems 98% plausible.

Pouliot, like most D, plays far better on his natural side. 

As for Hutton, if they either plan to continue to develop him and/or increase his trade value, no, it really doesn't. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Pouliot, like most D, plays far better on his natural side. 

As for Hutton, if they either plan to continue to develop him and/or increase his trade value, no, it really doesn't. 

Yes Pouliot seems to be better on his natural side but having a guy that can play on both sides is huge as it allows for line shuffling when injuries come and so forth.

Ive been very impressed with him this year even though he wasn't playing so well for a while. Think he makes one of Del Zotto or Hutton trade bait this summer as Juolevi is coming to.

On 2018-03-04 at 9:55 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Looking at how our other young defencemen have developed under Cull, I wouldn’t mind a bit if Juolevi spent a year there - it developed Holm enough to get us Leipsic.

4 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Looking at how our other young defencemen have developed under Cull, I wouldn’t mind a bit if Juolevi spent a year there - it developed Holm enough to get us Leipsic.

Holm is 26 and spent all of a few months with cull.  I doubt there was much development going on there. Cull developed Holm as much as green developed tanev.

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Upvote 1