The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

Season over?  NHL bound?

Or playoffs?

Get him and Dhalen over on the first flight New York.  Then get them on the first bus to Albany.  Then get them a taxi to Utica. :lol:  Why aren't the Comets in Abbotsford??

30 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

I'm guessing Juolevi isn't eligible to come over and play with the Comets or the Canucks when his season is done with TPS ya?

I'm sure there would have been talk about it like there has been with Dahlen.

I want this so bad lol

Boost Utica get some NHL looks of these kids!

15 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Well, Sami confirmed what my eyes told as I watched Olli in Training Camp. He was not in shape.

Here's hoping that he learned from that and he will own it this Summer and come into camp in September ready to grab a spot.

I get that he is young (and not everyone possesses the Bo Horvat dedication levels), and his skill level has allowed him to get by on his talent...but still frustrating to hear that he clearly has not prioritized his fitness level. I mean, I'm just some retired schmuck posting on a message board....but I'm still crushin' it 5 days a week at the gym - just because being fit, strong and healthy is a GOOD THING. Can't imagine not dedicating oneself to this if MILLIONS of dollars were at stake.

Rootin' for the kid.

LOL how dare you. You aren't traveling non stop, playing 20+ minutes of professional hockey multiple times a week. Congrats on walking on the elliptical for 15 minutes and casual lifting dumbbells after sitting on your couch watching real pros all day. But being in shape compared to NHL players is a lot different than being in shape compared to the other dad's at your local AA meetings. I guarantee you this kid is more fit, strong, and healthy than you have been in your entire life.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, ThaManbeast said:

LOL how dare you. You aren't traveling non stop, playing 20+ minutes of professional hockey multiple times a week. Congrats on walking on the elliptical for 15 minutes and casual lifting dumbbells after sitting on your couch watching real pros all day. But being in shape compared to NHL players is a lot different than being in shape compared to the other dad's at your local AA meetings. I guarantee you this kid is more fit, strong, and healthy than you have been in your entire life.

Well, that was entertaining. :) My fitness levels as compared to Olli are irrelevant. 

My main point was that for OJ, for him to maximize his chances to make our team in the Fall (what we all want, yes?) he has to come into camp in the best shape, by far, of HIS life

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, laxgoalie said:

He was talking about during summer. It should be incredibly easy for someone to get in shape if they're being paid and have summers off. 

Maybe it's just a case of a 19 year old kid not having physically developed yet. Nobody here knows what Olli does in preparation for the season. And to just say if I can casualy work out why can't Olli transform himself to be able to physically compete against elite level athletes by the age of 19 is ridiculous.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ThaManbeast said:

Maybe it's just a case of a 19 year old kid not having physically developed yet. Nobody here knows what Olli does in preparation for the season. And to just say if I can casualy work out why can't Olli transform himself to be able to physically compete against elite level athletes by the age of 19 is ridiculous.

Good point. I couldn't put on muscle till I was 20 no matter how hard I tried. Some could argue I'm still struggling at it. Lol. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ThaManbeast said:

I seem to remember hearing that Drew Doughty had some conditioning issues in his draft year. Had the size, about 215+, but his conditioning needed work. These kids all mature differently, we knew when we drafted OJ that he wasn't the most NHL ready D in the draft. The chance that Benning took was that OJ was the highest ceiling of any of the D in the draft. Considering how well he has proven to evaluate other talent, I'm inclined to believe that he knows more about this kids potential than most of the people here on this board.

Really hoping that he's right, really believe that he's right! I think it will still be another 2 years to know that for sure though.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, ThaManbeast said:

Okay, for me to bring my own fitness exploits (they are more than "casual") into the convo is pretty lame. It would be pretty dumb for me to say I'm even in the same ballpark as a not-as-well-conditioned-as-he-could-be-Juolevi....but I will maintain that in the category of old (but not as old as you think) retired-dude-hangin'-around-hockey-forum's....I might be in the ELITE category. ;) But enough of this...

Once OJ shows up at camp in September you can bet that everyone's favourite hockey sleuth Jeff Patterson will let us know quickly how Juolevi's Summer went. We really need this kid to be good guys...especially if the expected happens and we don't get Rasmus. 

1 hour ago, ken kaniff said:

Could be something wrong with the way the Canucks are communicating with the prospects. It seems that Olli and Jake both were told to bulk up but just put on fat

I definitely don’t think it’s an organizational development thing. Jake didn’t take his training seriously after his rookie season. He’s in much better shape this year. Brock, Bo, Stetcher all came into camp in their rookie years in great shape. And the Sedins are fitness freaks, and they promote a culture of intensive and focused off ice training. 

At 18/19/20 years old it’s really hard to work out properly for your body. It’s not just going to the gym and doing squats and bench press and deadlifts. Its doingo excercises that will increase your power in your stride and increase agility and torque in your upper body. The excercises required to accomplish these things are different for every player and it’s hard to know which excercises to do when your body is still developing. 

Edited by Canadian Clay
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ken kaniff said:

Could be something wrong with the way the Canucks are communicating with the prospects. It seems that Olli and Jake both were told to bulk up but just put on fat

For the stakes at play here you would think that trainers are sent to work with the kids in the summer. Do they? For what it costs send a trainer every other week to work with these first rounders to help them along.

1 minute ago, rekker said:

For the stakes at play here you would think that trainers are sent to work with the kids in the summer. Do they? For what it costs send a trainer every other week to work with these first rounders to help them along.

There are limits in the CBA as to how much contact teams can have with players in regards to training, coaching etc in the offseason. 

15 hours ago, rekker said:

I could be wrong but I believe its against the collective agreement for an NHL team to do this.

9 minutes ago, thrago said:

I could be wrong but I believe its against the collective agreement for an NHL team to do this.

Correct. The team can give guidelines that they want the player to follow, however, they are unable to monitor or enforce said guidelines.

• Cheers 1