The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

Just now, Alflives said:

Depends on the return, as for any of our players, doesn't it?

Well of course but for a player who continually becomes better and better, you don't want to move. Having said that, everyone is tradable for the right return of course. I just don't see anyone offering much for him at this stage in his career. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Well of course but for a player who continually becomes better and better, you don't want to move. Having said that, everyone is tradable for the right return of course. I just don't see anyone offering much for him at this stage in his career. 

Not that Brisbois alone would return Juulson, but if Brisbois plus (another piece that could be considered redundant for us) returned Juulson, then we should consider that trade I think.  Juulson is a right shot.  (Although Brisbois could become a better player in the long run too.)  

1 hour ago, Whorvat said:

We have very little invested in this asset (3rd round pick, obtained from signing a free asset in Lack), these are the types of players you sit on and hope it pans out. Why trade them for another lottery ticket (~3rd round pick)?? Especially when said asset has not regressed one bit since being drafted.

C'monnnn mannnnnn

well said. 

I'd also like to point out that if even 1 of our  round 3-7 prospects turn out to progress on the same trajectory as a fringe NHL-er, aka Biega for eg, its not worth trading them- especially if they are not 'hype associated round 1 or round 2 busts'. They won't fetch an upgrade of a return. Briesbois will not fetch more than a low round3 player or pick. 
Which means we are likely to end up with another Briesbois in round3 - someone who is picked 75th or less in their class year, is doing just fine, if they can be a meat and potatoes 'ready to fill in NHL for 15-20 games players'. A solid, long term contender needs these types to plug holes as well over the course of the season. 

We don't want a scenario of the late 2000s, when we had LITERALLY NOBODY who could play 15-20 games a season that was a call-up, except for Aaron Rome. 

Briesbois is trending towards an Aaron Rome-esque trajectory - in his peak, in another 2-3 years, he will be a regular call-up guy who can 'Biega' it. Great. If he grabs his chances well and happens to be in a high profile contender team when he does, like Rome did, he may even carve out a bottom pairing NHL steady gig for himself. Also great. Why trade this now, makes no sense. 

Why trade Brisebois? Because he has a bit of value, he's bad, he's replaceable via FA, we have too many LD, and because we need picks to get Jack Hughes and one or more RD in the 2019 draft.

Huge deadline needed to prep for a massive Hughes package:

Out: Edler (2nd), Sutter (2nd), Brisebois (3rd), Nilsson (4th), Del Zotto (6th), Granlund (7th)

In: J. Hughes (1st, 0-3 x 2nd, 0-2 x 3rd, 0-2 x 4th, etc.)

Ideally we get first overall and stockpile new RD talent, otherwise push in your chips.

Stanley Cup in 2022.

• Wat 2

• -SN- locked and unlocked this topic
18 hours ago, Alflives said:

Not that Brisbois alone would return Juulson, but if Brisbois plus (another piece that could be considered redundant for us) returned Juulson, then we should consider that trade I think.  Juulson is a right shot.  (Although Brisbois could become a better player in the long run too.)  

JB always has to look at trade opportunities and getting value with lower round picks is always a tough deal. I am quite happy to have Brisbois, Chatfield and Sauntner getting their 2nd year of AHL development. While I understand the fine line of maximizing value if any of these three can become a bottom pairing contributor it will be a credit to Utica development. IMHO you can go to 3 years in the AHL for a d-man.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, danny.canuck said:

Why trade Brisebois? Because he has a bit of value, he's bad, he's replaceable via FA, we have too many LD, and because we need picks to get Jack Hughes and one or more RD in the 2019 draft.

Huge deadline needed to prep for a massive Hughes package:

Out: Edler (2nd), Sutter (2nd), Brisebois (3rd), Nilsson (4th), Del Zotto (6th), Granlund (7th)

In: J. Hughes (1st, 0-3 x 2nd, 0-2 x 3rd, 0-2 x 4th, etc.)

Ideally we get first overall and stockpile new RD talent, otherwise push in your chips.

Stanley Cup in 2022.

unless injuries hit like last year and the team falls off the cliff again, it's highly unlikely that they end up anywhere near a Hughes pick

22 hours ago, cyoung said:

Why trade a player who is progressing well and would most likely not have a strong return.... Pointless. 

Because he's not new anymore. People are actually contemplating trading Horvat too. Gotta find a new shiny thing to overhype only to want them gone a few years later.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

unless injuries hit like last year and the team falls off the cliff again, it's highly unlikely that they end up anywhere near a Hughes pick

Tell someone that 3 weeks ago and I think we can all imagine the laughter and disbelief you would have had rained down on you...!

We are a playoff contending team and we have the depth to stay there...goaltending is our only achilles heal...now that Stecher and Hutton are doing just what I said they would do...."Surprise a lot of people...again"...the first time was each of them making it on to the team straight out of college.

Hutton is maturing before our eyes and Stecher is finding his offensive groove...once Joulevi is ready we will be just fine on D.

If we make the playoffs we have Hughes as a possible addition and all the guys in Utica that are coming along nicely...! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Tell someone that 3 weeks ago and I think we can all imagine the laughter and disbelief you would have had rained down on you...!

We are a playoff contending team and we have the depth to stay there...goaltending is our only achilles heal...now that Stecher and Hutton are doing just what I said they would do...."Surprise a lot of people...again"...the first time was each of them making it on to the team straight out of college.

Hutton is maturing before our eyes and Stecher is finding his offensive groove...once Joulevi is ready we will be just fine on D.

If we make the playoffs we have Hughes as a possible addition and all the guys in Utica that are coming along nicely...! 

I did, and there was

38 minutes ago, stawns said:

I did, and there was

I'm certainly not laughing (now or then). If we do miraculously stay healthy, we may very well scratch and claw our way to (or close to) a wildcard spot.

That said, I doubt that miracles do happen... We'll run in to injury troubles at some point, teams will ramp up after Christmas and we'll likely find our way sliding back down in to the bottom 10. 

Perfectly content with either outcome though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Took the time to go through all the Utica games to date and I am VERY impressed by the top 4 D in Utica with Ollie leading the way as their number 1.   I think all four of those kids will be NHL regulars - Sautner, Jalen, Ollie and Briesbois all have great instincts, all can skate and all seem to do a lot of the key breakout things "right" which is key in the increasingly fast paced NHL.   They all make mistakes that all young D make but you could put any one of the four in the NHL right now and they would be just fine.   However, they have a top 4 role in Utica and given the nature of the AHL game, they are getting far better development minutes and having to play in all key situations (PP, PK etc.).   It has been a long while (long before I started following Vancouver) when the Canucks have had four NHL ready Dmen that were in their farm system and were all this young all at the same time.   

Back to OJ specifically, he needs to time some of his pinches better but his breakout passes and carries are elite and NHL ready.   He is playing more physically than he did last year in Finland and using his size to advantage.   He is very calm on the PP with the puck and gets the puck low versus shooting into shin-pads.   

Early in the season but Canucks have four of the better top 4 D in the AHL when you take age and potential into account.    Wow, it has been a long time since you could say that.

His pinches do look a bit too much like Edler's...I think his reaction time to his mistakes might be faster then Edler's already though...and it is good to hear he is playing more physical.

I love Edler's defensive work, particularly on the PK...but his pinches and missed neutral zone reads cost us a chance or 3 per game...I think OJ could do better at not coughing up the puck, or defending after a takeaway after not to many games.

Edler to Toronto along with Gagner and a 3rd round pick...maybe Gaunce thrown in...that is my top dollar for Nylander...

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

His pinches do look a bit too much like Edler's...I think his reaction time to his mistakes might be faster then Edler's already though...and it is good to hear he is playing more physical.

I love Edler's defensive work, particularly on the PK...but his pinches and missed neutral zone reads cost us a chance or 3 per game...I think OJ could do better at not coughing up the puck, or defending after a takeaway after not to many games.

Edler to Toronto along with Gagner and a 3rd round pick...maybe Gaunce thrown in...that is my top dollar for Nylander...

I don't agree on his pinches looked like Edler's from the games I have on tape from this year.   To me, he pinches a lot like Keith from Chicago though he is a much bigger player than Keith.   He seems to pinch not to keep the puck in (Edler style) but to try and manufacture a play (Keith does this, well did this, as good as anyone in hockey for a long while).   My point on his pinches is he needs to be more sure of the forwards he is on with as a few times he has pinched this year, the forward that will cover in NHL is an AHL rookie and totally lost in terms of the correct positioning and an odd-man rush has resulted.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

I'm certainly not laughing (now or then). If we do miraculously stay healthy, we may very well scratch and claw our way to (or close to) a wildcard spot.

That said, I doubt that miracles do happen... We'll run in to injury troubles at some point, teams will ramp up after Christmas and we'll likely find our way sliding back down in to the bottom 10. 

Perfectly content with either outcome though.

as I am.  They do have the depth to at least stay competitive in the face of reasonable injuries though.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

The laffs laugh at that one. You must not want Nylander or hate the laffs. Can’t tell.