The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Both true.  A top four right shot (right side) D man is not cheap in the UFA market, or in trade.  I think Hughes will play right side for us, but we need a big boy there too.  

A big boy for sure, not a beanpole.

Juolevi was trending in the right direction before he took his injury. He had just come off a pretty solid training camp and was putting up some good numbers in Utica. Unless it's an offer we can't refuse, I'd be reluctant to give up Juolevi, especially considering his value isn't all that high at the moment. 

It's also worth noting that if Juolevi pans out as a top 4, GMJB is at least somewhat vindicated. If we move him somewhere else and he pans out there, he winds up with egg on his face.

• Upvote 2

OJ had been cleared to resume skating... should be ready to show his stuff in preseason. Now that Hutton is likely gone, OJ better step up to claim that spot!! I really feel for this kid...  nothing was going right in last 2 years... and the fans lost faith and patience thinking Tkachuk should've been picked instead... well no duh based on recent #s.... but they got another 13-15 years to go!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 6/20/2019 at 4:31 PM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Juolevi was trending in the right direction before he took his injury. He had just come off a pretty solid training camp and was putting up some good numbers in Utica. Unless it's an offer we can't refuse, I'd be reluctant to give up Juolevi, especially considering his value isn't all that high at the moment. 

It's also worth noting that if Juolevi pans out as a top 4, GMJB is at least somewhat vindicated. If we move him somewhere else and he pans out there, he winds up with egg on his face.

I think Joulevi will be a key top four for us and think he could make the team on the bottom pairing do the Canucks medical staff can watch him too. We all talk about losing that draft based on other options and we likely did but just think if Tkachuk signs a 9 million per year contract and regresses.  One can hope...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

13 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I think Joulevi will be a key top four for us and think he could make the team on the bottom pairing do the Canucks medical staff can watch him too. We all talk about losing that draft based on other options and we likely did but just think if Tkachuk signs a 9 million per year contract and regresses.  One can hope...

Two years from now? I hope so! 

His injury means that when he comes back, he will not have his agility and explosiveness back for a month or two. 

As someone said above, we should forget about Olli on the Canucks roster until after Christmas, at best. 

I think he'll start in the AHL but be the first call up very quickly. I believe he can be 7th man out of camp with a good season of training but we'll choose to send him down instead to get him playing and only bring him up when ice time is there for him. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Two years from now? I hope so! 

His injury means that when he comes back, he will not have his agility and explosiveness back for a month or two

As someone said above, we should forget about Olli on the Canucks roster until after Christmas, at best. 

Then it's a good thing he has 3 months of on ice training before camp. I will reserve judgement on his readiness until we see how he looks in camp.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

...OR.....we could wait to see how he looks in training camp...after 3 months of on ice training...and then make up our minds.

Personally I think he makes it out of camp if we don't resign Hutton ...or he is the first injury call-up if we do sign Hutton...and is a top 4 by xmas...

Really?

** see my sig **

Olli Juolevi was barely competent in his own zone at the AHL level last year. In what world will he be able to vie for a spot in the NHL come September after a major injury?

Kid needs to develop for at least another year. 

Edited by Mathew Barzal
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Olli Juolevi was barely competent in his own zone at the AHL level last year. In what world will he be able to vie for a spot in the NHL come September after a major injury?

Bro, he's playing in the  allstar game this season easy.

/CDCLogic

30 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Could be.  All young D men struggle with D awareness, all over the ice.  I think he is on our team by Christmas though.  Yes he is big, skates great, moves the puck extremely well, but he’s super off the charts hockey smart too.  His smarts, even with all his other excellent attributes, stand out.  He will learn fast.  

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, wildwood12 said:

JB said he will be given a chance to make the team at training camp.

A bit of a non-comment by Benning..Was there a seed of doubt that the 5OA wasn't going to get every chance?.He's missed a lot of hockey (let alone been on skates),and will have all the eyes of Canuck Nation dissecting his every move at Training camp..No pressure there?