The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

1 minute ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Agreed, and in this case he could have simply refused to sign Chiasson to the pto.  With that said, it wasn't the worst move and will probably work out alright this year, at the cost of losing Gadjovic, whatever that turns out to be.  I liked him, so I'm not letting it drop just yet.

Or he could have kept Chiasson and Gadjovich and got rid of one of the AHL plugs he's decided to waste minutes on.  Simply no excuse for allowing Petan, DiGuiseppe, and Dowling to stay on the team when actually useful players are being waived.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, mpass1 said:

I'd be shocked if we gave up on Juolevi, he's been solid defensively all the pre-season games ive seen

so why all this negative narrative and talk about Juolevi if he's been so solid during training camp and pre-season? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Solid defensively, decent skater, can make plays when he gets the chance.

I would put him ahead of Schenn if he can play like that consistently. 

He shouldn’t be judged too harshly on his time in Detroit. Those teams were brutal.

What about his time with Washington? 

10 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I really didn't like that look with OJ, but he's been making some decent defensive plays through preseason so far and I think he'll get better with some confidence that he's on the team.  I expect he'll be on the team until he's traded.  No way they give him up through waivers.

Damn, 10 hours ago I didn't think that it would be that soon for JB to be shopping him.....JB must love Hunt or another guy.  Seriously curious given the Hamonic situation also.

9 hours ago, Team Bagues said:

I recall Juolevi saying after he was drafted that he was the smartest player in his draft class, so I guess he'll be fine... ; )

I wanted to bring this up after the bag skate but I knew I'd be flamed for saying that.  I remember a video of him saying how smart he is and that he could compete for an NHL roster spot very soon.  That worried me then and it all makes sense now.  Pretty tough to dig out of a hole that you dug for yourself.  Injuries on top of that didn't help.

I'll be pretty shocked if we trade OJ right now unless its the major piece in a deal for another good RHD like Manson. He has shown a good promise in the D-zone, his passing is good and he's been physical from time to time. Seems like it would be a needless waste to trade him for futures or nothing on the waiver wire. Specially in favour of keeping the rest of the spare parts we have around.  Its not like we need to choose Bones or O.J - they can easily waive one of the others. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, mpass1 said:

I'd be shocked if we gave up on Juolevi, he's been solid defensively all the pre-season games ive seen

He’s been better defensively and positionally than Rathbone.  Rathbone is the better overall dman right now but I’d argue that Juolevi fills a bigger need for this team right now.

• Like 1

If in fact the Canucks will waive Juolevi, I will not support this current crop of coaching staff. Rathbone is fairly new as a defenseman and we should NOT rush him developmentally. His game is far from complete and we will not be doing him any favours here. We are SO bad at keeping the puck out of the net and I have not seen enough from Rathbone to feel comfortable in sacrificing defense for offense.

Juolevi is the better, more rounded player. Rathbone has been gifted all the opportunities by Green to showcase his strengths, but his weaknesses are seemingly glossed over by coaching staff. Ridiculous. Poor player evaluation, especially the Gadjovich debacle.

Moreover, Green has done a poor job this preseason. Poor line matchups, poor preparation. Poor everything.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I'll be pretty shocked if we trade OJ right now unless its the major piece in a deal for another good RHD like Manson. He has shown a good promise in the D-zone, his passing is good and he's been physical from time to time. Seems like it would be a needless waste to trade him for futures or nothing on the waiver wire. Specially in favour of keeping the rest of the spare parts we have around.  Its not like we need to choose Bones or O.J - they can easily waive one of the others. 

Anaheim are 2nd in the waiver priority order.  They are more likely to be trading Manson at the TDL.

18 hours ago, King Heffy said:

At some point, Benning needs to tell Green that the AHL plugs are going to Abbotsford and that Green either needs to figure out how to use the actual NHL players or be replaced with a coach who can be trusted to set the lineup properly.

They just signed him to a two year contract. It's the beginning of the season, job security is not an issue right now for Green, 

11 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

He’s been better defensively and positionally than Rathbone.  Rathbone is the better overall dman right now but I’d argue that Juolevi fills a bigger need for this team right now.

Rathbone would be trade bait. We already have a Quinn Hughes who is better and makes Rathbone redundant. Two small left handed D makes defense very weak. The Canucks have a boatload of offensive minded Dmen right now. So Rathbone makes no sense for me.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, smokes said:

Rathbone would be trade bait. We already have a Quinn Hughes who is better and makes Rathbone redundant. Two small left handed D makes defense very weak. The Canucks have a boatload of offensive minded Dmen right now. So Rathbone makes no sense for me.

One report tells OJ is no longer practising with the team. Don't follow the hype look and judge. He's not a career NHL'er. Arizona might pick him up if he goes on waiver but even that is questionable, get used to it

Edited by Fred65

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

troll trolling GIF

Whys that trolling? Do you think Joulevi is top pairing? Do you think he’s as good as Sergachev, Macavoy, Fox, Chychrun or a dozen other Dmen currently playing in the NHL from his draft year? 

It’s okay to admit that we wasted a 5th overall on a complete bust. 

Edited by Bure_of_94

Just now, Bure_of_94 said:

Whys that trolling? Do you think Joulevi is top pairing? Do you think he’s as good as Sergachev, Macavoy, Fox, Chychrun or a dozen other Dmen currently playing in the NHL? 

It’s okay to admit that we wasted a 5th overall on a complete bust. 

Yeah, you're right.  You're not trolling at all, what was I thinking.

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers