The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

One of these years ....a 13th or 14th from last place team is going to piss us all off...we pick 4th or 5th this year given the usual scenario for us....just have to make it count.

Vilardi or Middlestadt seem the best bets at 4 or maybe Hishkonen (sp.?) at 5th pick...can't get safer than him, for sure an Ohlund/Hamhuis type player that should have Ohlund's size when he fills out, already is 6'3".

• Upvote 1

Heiskanen looks like a gem. If we are going to take a defenseman I think he should be the one but we should be high enough that taking one of the center's seems like the way to go. 

I'm still not sure who I would want after the top 2 between Glass/Vilardi/Middlestadt. (Maybe Pettersson in the mix too depending how he does at the combine)

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

The sad thing is after this long in the tank, we're still possibly going to be at or near that level of depth in a season or two.  I envy the youth on their roster but man that organizational depth is woeful

Teams in the tank never really have a deep prospect pool.  All the players tend to make the jump straight into the NHL.  

Look at the oilers the last few years, how many players did they have go through the AHL?

Buf is so far ahead.  They have a franchise #1 center (Eichel).  They have a top end #2 center (O'reilly). They have a surefire already #1 D  (risto).  Those are the key components.   And then you add in Reinhart, Kane, Nylander, Asplund, Girgensons that's a lot of talent.  There are right next the leafs in their rebuild, the big difference between the two teams this year was goaltending and injuries,  Had buffalo been healthy they would have been in the wild card hunt, right next to the leafs.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Teams in the tank never really have a deep prospect pool.  All the players tend to make the jump straight into the NHL.  

Look at the oilers the last few years, how many players did they have go through the AHL?

Man I hope we buck that trend... Sorry for being a broken record folks but this is why I'm all for only having one of Boeser/Goldobin on the Canucks this year.

Baer, Horvat, Eriksson

Sedin, Sedin, Granlund

UFA/prospect, Sutter, Dorsett (match up, dzone starts)

Boucher/Rodin, UFA, Boeser/Goldobin (sheltered, ozone starts)

Have most of the kids in Utica, available for injury call ups on merit and after the TDL when we move those UFA's and pump and dump Rodin/Boucher. Wingers can move up and down the offensive lines.

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

3. Cody Glass, (Portland, WHL, 6-foot-2, 179 pounds)

The stats: GP: 69, G:32, A:62 PTS: 94

The skinny: “He’s the most efficient and productive 5-on-5 player in the CHL (Canadian Hockey League) for this draft. Over 70 per cent of his points come 5-on-5 and that’s exceptionally good. You put a big star beside that when you start to grade levels of work. And 45 per cent of his points were on the road and that’s excellent. He needs to fill out, but his dad is 6-foot-5 and built like a truck and his brother is 6-foot-7.”

4. Gabriel Vilardi (Windsor, OHL, 6-foot-2, 193 pounds)

The stats: GP: 49 G:29, A:32, PTS: 61

The skinny: “It’s what style of centre do you want? Vilardi is going to play a power game. His first two or three steps need to be quicker and better to create time and space, but he’s big and solid.”

I find the write up on Glass to be intriguing. 45% of his point totals come on the road, suggesting that he is a very consistent scorer and being in the opposition's barn doesn't phase him. Also, with 70% of his points coming 5-on-5 that equates to about 66 even-strength points, which is more points than Vilardi has for the year (granted, higher offensive team and more games). The size part is also interesting, suggesting that he might grow a couple more inches and fill out to 200+ lbs. 

I've heard the Mark Schiefele comparable and if he turns into that we'd have tough centres to match up against with Glass, Horvat, and Gaudette.

To me, it's still a toss-up between Glass, Mittelstadt, and Vilardi. I feel as though Vilardi might solidify himself as #3 with a good performance at the Memorial Cup in the coming weeks. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

To me, it's still a toss-up between Glass, Mittelstadt, and Vilardi. I feel as though Vilardi might solidify himself as #3 with a good performance at the Memorial Cup in the coming weeks. 

But you know whoever we pick, there will be endless debates on years to come on why we didn't make the right choice. That's why I'm praying we pick #2. 

5 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

There was a span of 5 years out 6 years where they were moved pretty regularly.  When Gen talents are available like in 04,05,07,08,09,15,16 they likely aren't going to get moved.   But in years where there is not top end star I could see it being moved for the right price

2003 - Panthers traded the 1st overall to the penguins for the 3rd overall +

2002 - Panthers traded the 1st overall to the blue jackets for the 3rd overall +

2001 - NYI traded the 2nd overall + Chara for Yashin 

1999 - Tampa traded the 1st overall to Van who traded it to Atlanta

1998 - Panthers traded the 1st overall to sharks who traded it to Tampa, 

Better go check those results of moving down.....other than Vancouver's move......not much gained by moving down in those trades.....kinda back fired if you ask me

Please please please let us keep the second and take Hischer. Sven Baertschi can help ease him into the transition of being a pro. But more importantly, He would fit in perfectly. Our young core would finally be set at forward.

Left Wing         Center        Right Wing

Goldobin          Hischer        Boeser

Baertschi          Horvat         Virtanen

Granlund          Dahlen         Gaudette

These aren't necesarilly lines, but it shows that we have some good young depth coming in. If Virtanen can turn it around and be an impact off the wing, that would be a core I would not mind having. The top 6 are either NHL ready or close too, and the bottom 3 are close and are all divserse enough to play either center or wing.

I just really hope we keep the second overall. It looks like Colorado is warming up to the idea of a Nolan Patrick down the middle and moving someone like a Duchene. I want to walk out of this draft with Nico Hischer (or Nolan Patrick), and 2 solid defensmen from our second round pick. That or package them up for one solid piece. Losing Tryamkin sucks. Go get somebody.

Edited by Mr.53
  • Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Better go check those results of moving down.....other than Vancouver's move......not much gained by moving down in those trades.....kinda back fired if you ask me

Which it probably why it hasn't really happened since. The first overall is worth more than pretty much anything. the best 18 year old at his age to start his career is literally the exact thing every team wants. Not much is more valuable.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, shiznak said:

I don't get why people say Tippett is an one-dimensional player. He progress his defensive game throughout the season, and is now being used on the PK by Mississauga. He does tend to shoot the puck at every angle, but that's his bread and butter, and it's not like that's the only way he can score goals. He drives to the net using his speed, and finds way to get open for scoring opportunity. He's crafty and creative with the puck in the o-zone, and is a very underrated playermaker (although he could use his teammates more often ). 

Like I said, I wouldn't mind drafting him at 4th, then trading one of our young wingers (+) for a young centermen. 

18 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Cause everyone has jumped on the overrated vilardi train. Owen Tippett is a better player then him and will turn out

a safer bet then vilardi.  

Owen Tippett is one hell of a player.  There is some major controversy right now about him.  Some fans think he's one dimensional and there are some fans that actually really like him and think he can go as high as 2, so far majority of fans seems to be more on the negative side.   One fan thinks his shot is the same as Steven stamkos, at the same age.  Remember Phil kessel?  Dude literally was the poster boy for (1 dimensional) , and over the years all that improved.  

Here's two of Tippet's games in the playoffs:

Like others have mentioned, he's north-south player. Doesn't know how to battle for puck along the boards or just doesn't want to put in the effort. Takes stupid shots. He has good stats but he doesn't look that great on the eye-test. Way better players available in the top 10.

2 hours ago, funkyfresh said:

Here's two of Tippet's games in the playoffs:

Like others have mentioned, he's north-south player. Doesn't know how to battle for puck along the boards or just doesn't want to put in the effort. Takes stupid shots. He has good stats but he doesn't look that great on the eye-test. Way better players available in the top 10.

I agree with your assessment on Tippet. Not a player I would take in the first round. 

3 hours ago, funkyfresh said:

Here's two of Tippet's games in the playoffs

Meh, that's like saying if you were given the opportunity to draft a player like Patrik Laine or Alexander Ovechkin, you would pass him up for a player who is more "involved" in the game.

If Tippett can be a consistent 25-30 goals scorer, in the pros. Then, I really can careless if he wins puck battles or not. He's the best pure goal scorer in this draft, and it's not like he needs a playmaking centermen to set him up. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Meh, that's like saying if you were given the opportunity to draft a player like Patrik Laine or Alexander Ovechkin, you would pass him up for a player who is more "involved" in the game.

If Tippett can be a consistent 25-30 goals scorer, in the pros. Then, I really can careless if he wins puck battles or not. He's the best pure goal scorer in this draft, and it's not like he needs a playmaking centermen to set him up. 

I still pass on him easy.

More valuable players in this draft for us.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

Tippet isn't even close to Laine and Ovechkin. 

NHL coaches aren't going to let him cheat the way he does in juniors. We have had a prime example of what happens to players like Tippet; Nikolay Goldobin. His first goal was because he cheated on a 50/50 play and was benched for it. Another reason for him getting limited minutes was his inability to go to the tough areas and battle. 

Yeah, he might be a 25 goal scorer but I rather take a guy who's going to help his team in ways other than just scoring. People bring up Phil Kessel but it took Kessel being traded to a team with Crosby and Malkin to get the cup.  He's a support player and I don't think this team should be looking at those kind of players in the top 5. And don't forget that Kessel dominated NCAA in his draft year.

Considering the players that will be available, and their potential to be real play drivers, it would be pretty stupid to take Tippet with a top 5 pick.

18 minutes ago, funkyfresh said:

Tippet isn't even close to Laine and Ovechkin. 

NHL coaches aren't going to let him cheat the way he does in juniors. We have had a prime example of what happens to players like Tippet; Nikolay Goldobin. His first goal was because he cheated on a 50/50 play and was benched for it. Another reason for him getting limited minutes was his inability to go to the tough areas and battle. 

Yeah, he might be a 25 goal scorer but I rather take a guy who's going to help his team in ways other than just scoring. People bring up Phil Kessel but it took Kessel being traded to a team with Crosby and Malkin to get the cup.  He's a support player and I don't think this team should be looking at those kind of players in the top 5. And don't forget that Kessel dominated NCAA in his draft year.

Considering the players that will be available, and their potential to be real play drivers, it would be pretty stupid to take Tippet with a top 5 pick.

If Tippett turns anything like Phil Kessel (although I don't see any resemblance between the two, beside their quick release. Also Kessel is a former 5-time 30+ goals scorer), then whoever picks him has hit a homerun, considering many scouts have said there isn't really any elite talents outside of the top 2 and it's pretty much a crapshoot from 3-10. Tippett is ranked by scouts, anywhere from 3-8. So, it's not entirely an off-the-board pick.  

This team is in dire need of scoring, as Boeser is our only promising scoring threat for the future and even he's not a guarantee. Having him and Boeser would solidify our right side, and it will also move Virtanen back to the left side, where he has had the most success. 

40 minutes ago, shiznak said:

If Tippett turns anything like Phil Kessel (although I don't see any resemblance between the two, beside their quick release. Also Kessel is a former 5-time 30+ goals scorer), then whoever picks him has hit a homerun, considering many scouts have said there isn't really any elite talents outside of the top 2 and it's pretty much a crapshoot from 3-10. Tippett is ranked by scouts, anywhere from 3-8. So, it's not entirely an off-the-board pick.  

This team is in dire need of scoring, as Boeser is our only promising scoring threat for the future and even he's not a guarantee. Having him and Boeser would solidify our right side, and it will also move Virtanen back to the left side, where he has had the most success. 

Do you watch Canucks games? Ahah no offence but we have a lot of young promising kids who looks pretty deadly with the puck. It's just about developing them properly. It also takes time. A Tippet won't solve that problem. 

And why is everyone talking about Tippet when talking about scoring wingers. IMO Tippet<Tolvanen.