The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

20 minutes ago, J.R. said:

No there's definitely separation. 1-2 are high ceiling, low risk, NHL or near NHL ready prospects. 

3-8 all have near/equal (perhaps even higher) ceilings but more risk and/or aren't going to be NHL ready for another 1+ years. 

Ceilings though, no, not a ton separating them IMO. Risk and readiness though...

if that's the case then fans can be relieved.   even the fifth pick should be really impactful.  I have little doubt in Jim and our scouting team.  we are going to get someone good I'm sure!

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

if that's the case then fans can be relieved.   even the fifth pick should be really impactful.  I have little doubt in Jim and our scouting team.  we are going to get someone good I'm sure!

Should be. Therein lies the added risk of the later picks.

8 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

The only problem with Glass at 5....is that I get thirsty before then....oh and he will be gone at 3 or 4 ....which leaves either Vilardi or Mittlestadt and 2-3 D for our pick...

Horvat and Glass anchoring our top-6 sounds good, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear JB has significant interest in Necas.  Will likely glean quote a bit from his upcoming interviews, as he's typically pretty candid.  I get the sense they want speed and would have gone Hischier over Patrick, and likewise might want to do the same at #5.

If I were Benning, I'd probably try and do some wheeling and dealing with Mr. Shero and the Devils. I believe Hischier is worth every price to move up for. We were literally a number away from winning the lottery that would've done wonders to our team. It may be a heavy price but if we trade say our pick, Sbisa/Edler and CBJ 2nd and they bite, we have to go for it. Hischier is a game changer and he's the type of player that can make an impact every shift. He's just a electric, dynamic player that loves to score goals and rack up the scoresheet. But with Tram bolting, I doubt we trade a defenceman especially with the ED looming. Having McEneny potentially NHL ready after a good season with Utica may open the door for Benning to make a splash with the possibility of losing Sbisa/Edler to Vegas. I'm all in to trade up but if we can't, then I'd rather make the pick and choose Glass if not a faller from the top 4 potentially Vilardi, Heiskanen

Other than the past two drafts where the top two picks were dead set for future projections of the first overalls you could argue the previous 6 to 8 drafts the best player of those drafts weren't taken in perfect order 1 2 3.

Many of drafts some of the greatest picks have been in the 5 to 10 range.

I think my favorites at this time are Necas, Makar, Pettersson, Lilegren, and Mittlestadt.

kind of in that order but I'm sure my views may change.  I have little interest personally in vilardi, glass, and heiskanen.  my preference is pretty European. heavy this year.  still a few months to better digest it all.  I think I'm leaning more skill and offence oriented this year. 

Edited by Rush17

If Vilardi falls to us at 5 we will be really lucky. He has an elite shot and scoring touch. Had knee surgery last year which might explain his slow skating this season. He will be a top 6 impact NHL'er. 

Granlund Horvat Boesser

Goldobin Vilardi Dahlen 

Virtanen Gaudette Lockwood

McEwan Mckenzie Gaunce 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Glass looks good but Mittlestadt looks more offensive to me. I would take him this year and use him as a LW on the top line. 

Next year we will likely be picking near the bottom again and there are better centres to choose from like Brady Tkachuk and Jack Wise

That said if Mittlestadt is taken before we pick Cody Glass or Miro Heiskanen would be great additions to our team

You're comparing a player in the W to a player in the USHL........they are not comparable leagues.  

6 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I think my favorites at this time are Necas, Makar, Pettersson, Lilegren, and Mittlestadt.

kind of in that order but I'm sure my views may change.  I have little interest personally in vilardi, glass, and heiskanen.  my preference is pretty European. heavy this year.  still a few months to better digest it all.  I think I'm leaning more skill and offence oriented this year. 

I like Glass, but after seeing how Europeans are able to come over and play in the AHL before kids from the CHL, I'm all good with Euros.

15 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

If pundits keep comparing him too Scheifele and Johansen type players....Glass won't make it past 4th pick.

I dunno though... as of right now there is no clear-cut BPA for the top 10 after Patrick and Hischier. Vilardi is consistently ranked in the top-5 but even then there is so much variance in rankings suggesting the prospects are almost equal. 

Because of that, I could see both Dallas and Colorado draft one of the high profile defensemen, leaving our choice of forward at the #5 spot.

That said, Vilardi might play very well at the Memorial Cup and make a case for himself as the clear cut next best prospect after Patrick and Hischier.

I feel bad for JB in this years draft.  

There are too many options to go with.   

Even if he picks a good one, there are going to be at least a couple better available and Jim is going to get torn apart.  

Its gonna be Jake and Ehlers all over again.       We end up with a really good prospect, but the other guy arrives sooner, so the fans lose it and say the kid is a bust, jim is a joke.  

Either way, we end up with a good player,

and either way, JB gets ripped up for his decision 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Odd. said:

I would have to think Mittlestadt, Glass, or Necas, and Heiskanen, Makar, Liljegren be the likely guys we pick at 5th. Playmaking centers vs offensive PP defenseman. It's up to the scouting staff to determine if we should go center depth rather than defense. All signs point out that Vilardi isn't on Benning's radar. 

I really like Mittlestadt, but I find it hard to believe that Benning wouldn't draft a Big strong center with size AND speed AND skill in Glass. Especially us having ties with the Portland organization. Mature, team first type of guy. Huge reason for Portland's success this year. I think with Travis Green at the realm, Green could use his former counterpart Mike Johnston for guidance/tips as well as info about Glass that could be really useful for his development. 

We could also then draft defenseman Henri Jokiharju, who also plays in Portland with our CBJ 2nd round pick. First season in the dub and 9g 39a 48pts in 71GPS. Been compared to Sami Vatanen. PMD, decent size to fill up at 6'0 170lbs. Jokiharju and Glass are actually really good friends off the ice. Would be nice to see them both in a Nucks jersey. Their tool set is much needed here. 

I am prepared for 1 of:

Heiskanen / Vilardi / Glass / Mittlestadt / Liljegren 

Realistically I do not think they will take Necas over the above.

The only pick that would really upset me is: Rasmussen 

A big surprise pick for me would be: Makar

If we didnt take Virtanen and have Boeser I also think Tippet would be a possibility - but cant see them calling his name over a C or D

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I like Glass, but after seeing how Europeans are able to come over and play in the AHL before kids from the CHL, I'm all good with Euros.

Euro prospects definitely have the advantage of being able to fast-track their development by jumping from a men's league into the AHL when they are ready, unlike CHL prospects where it's NHL or junior until they hit 20 years old. 

This advantage should be taken into consideration, much like how Benning highly regards NCAA prospect development and NHL readiness. 

However, with prospects like a Necas and Pettersson and even Heiskanen I wouldn't fully want them in the AHL next season. The AHL is a men's league and a physical one at that. Necas and Pettersson are undersized by all accounts  and with Heiskanen I would be wary having him take an AHL forecheck with the likes of a Sestito or someone coming at him at top speed. 

I could see the top-end Euros have a have a 2-year development time, one year in their respective Euro league and another year in the AHL, and make it into the NHL in their draft+3 season. This timeline itself is already very quick and possibly even a year or two quicker than CHL prospect development time.

Similar story for NCAA-bound prospects like Mittelstadt and Makar. They might even be a year faster than their European-league counterparts and play just one season in the NCAA like Keller and then make it to the NHL as early as their draft+2 season.