The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

take BPA when your drafting top five. 

the better quality prospects you have, the more you have to play with when it comes to trading for a center. 

maybe tanev can net us something mid first round? 

Petterson if available, I'd scoop up. I think he might go just out of the top ten...

Sure. And if Tippett was Laine, you'd have a point. He is not. 

He's no more BPA than a bunch of C's and D's in the 3-10 range. Hence you take a C or D.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, cyoung said:

With much more talent, drive and top end vision. Skating and size are similar I suppose but come on lol matthias put up 34pts in his draft year while Vilardi posted great numbers and carried his team (he's also one of the youngest in the draft class. 

He's a good prospect. 

He definitely can become a good nhler. I'm sure glad I'm not JB with this pick. It's going to be difficult to seperate the fake potential from the future stars.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

He definitely can become a good nhler. I'm sure glad I'm not JB with this pick. It's going to be difficult to seperate the fake potential from the future stars.

There may be no fakes among the top 10...the ones with the most risk; Makar, Tippet, Mittlestadt and Liljegren could also end up being the top 4 players in a few years.

I see Vilardi as a for sure 3rd liner as a floor, Glass as a for sure 4th liner and Hieskanen as an almost for sure top 4 D.,....

The 4 I mentioned with the biggest risk could all flop but the upside is more than the other 3....unless Glass grows to 6'4" and 220 Lbs or more and is still fast...which is very possible and Vilardi being so young....he could add quite a bit to his game before he comes out of the CHL.

....one thing is almost for sure...whoever we pick won't be the best player available according to most of us!

• Upvote 1

At this point, figuring on Mittelstadt to Dallas and Heiskanen to Colorado.  That likely leaves Liljegren, Vilardi, Glass, and Necas tops on the Canucks' list.  Considering the depth and quality of D next year and that they want a projected true playmaking C, I think that means Glass or Necas.  Glass the solid character Canadian boy, Necas perhaps the higher skill level and ceiling.  Barring trades, the XD, and anything else happening before the draft, not sure who I'd take between the two of them.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

At this point, figuring on Mittelstadt to Dallas and Heiskanen to Colorado.  That likely leaves Liljegren, Vilardi, Glass, and Necas tops on the Canucks' list.  Considering the depth and quality of D next year and that they want a projected true playmaking C, I think that means Glass or Necas.  Glass the solid character Canadian boy, Necas perhaps the higher skill level and ceiling.  Barring trades, the XD, and anything else happening before the draft, not sure who I'd take between the two of them.

Trade Tanev (plus a second?) and get pick number six so we get both?  

4 hours ago, J.R. said:

Sure. And if Tippett was Laine, you'd have a point. He is not. 

He's no more BPA than a bunch of C's and D's in the 3-10 range. Hence you take a C or D.

Tippett has a faceoff percentage over 60% (including playoffs). Maybe he could be converted into a centermen, lol.

• Upvote 1

The thing with Necas that I like is his lateral mobility is really good. We don't have many of those guys on the team.

Also being AHL eligible this year is great. I would not mind him playing in the A at all given his time in the Czech top league, but that of course depends on how much physical maturation he has in the Summer.

Probably the truest playmaker between himself, Glass, and Vilardi if that's who is available and on our list at 5.

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

Tippett has a faceoff percentage over 60% (including playoffs). Maybe he could be converted into a centermen, lol.

Or we could just take one of the natural C's....

28 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Or we could just take one of the natural C's....

Like who?

Vilardi or Mittelstadt who are both projected to be NHL wingers?

The only "natural" centermen at that range is Glass, but most ranking has him below Tippett. 

But hey, we needZzz centermennnnnz and draft messiah McKenzie, projected us to pick Glazzzz.

Edited by shiznak

12 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Like who?

The only "natural" centermen at that range is Glass, but most ranking has him below Tippett. 

But hey, we needZzz centermennnnnz and draft messiah McKenzie, projected us to pick Glazzzz.

'Most'. Ok, if you say so.

IMO, Middelstat, Glass and Necas. Play making C's. I don't have any of them 'below Tippett'. YMMV.

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

'Most'. Ok, if you say so.

IMO, Middelstat, Glass and Necas. Play making C's. I don't have any of them 'below Tippett'. YMMV.

Glass/Tippett:

Pronman - 12/4

Hockey prospect - 7/11

ISS - 7/4

Future Consideration - 16/6

McKeen - 13/6

CSS - 6/7

TSN's top 15 consensus (from NHL scouts) - 9/6

1 hour ago, Baratheon said:

I have read so much negativity on Vilardi (on this forum) and I think he is going to surprise a lot of people.  I'm very confident that he'll be one of the best players in the draft.

I will be SUPER excited if we pick him.  

People will be mad at first but I think they'll disappear just like the Nichushkin crowd who ripped on Horvat 

I'd be very happy with Vilardi as well... I thought he was the consensus 3 and written him off but if he falls to us he'd be an awesome pick.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Like who?

Nothing says Canucks pick like another Virtanen....

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

But that's what makes Tkachuk so good. Take away that edge and competitiveness and he isn't that f the player he is.

I know many of you aren't going to like this but vilardi reminds me of Shawn matthias.

Tell me what you think of Vilardi after the Memorial Cup. Shawn Mathias? Gimme a break. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Nothing says Canucks pick like another Virtanen....

Virtanen was not really off of the charts..he was picked pretty much except where he was projected to be (except by Craig Button..who obviously doesn't like shoot first wingers,,he's already got Owen Tippett at 20th or something like that)..

Joulevi was also projected around the range he was picked..Although,there wasn't a single reputable mock draft (that I saw) that didn't have Tkachuk ahead of Juolevi...These are the reasons why Benning gets criticized for these top picks...How some posters here are recommending picking Liljegren with the top 5 (who's rated in the teens by some) is just staggering to me...There is absolutely zero room for error this year.

• Upvote 2