The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

1 hour ago, Toews said:

I think fans make too much out of the combine. Genetics plays a big factor, some mature earlier than others. The combine is just one snapshot of a prospect's physical maturity.

Others have been playing their whole lives with a massive size disadvantage. They have learnt to handle it by being faster and more agile.

34 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

I think you are both right about Casey.  Genetically he is not physically mature, but his poor results shows a lack of preparation and dedication.

I am not sure how to take the Mittlestadt upper body strength results. Zero pull-up is pretty pathetic. Even on a bad I day I could do a few when I was 18 or any time since then, as could most guys involved in sports in any way. His upper body looks weak -- he looks like the kind of guy who get brushed aside by most NHL players.

That said, the fact that he done well despite not much upper body strength says positive things about his general ability (as with Sam Bennett.) And upper body strength is not that hard to develop. As @Toews says, it could be partly a matter of just maturing late. If he is already a good player, he could be expected to improve a lot as he matures.

The opposite case is Jordan Schroeder. Although fairly short, he was a protoypical gym rat and was in great shape for the combine, where he did very well. But he was already close to maxing out his potential and he never improved much on or off the ice. Mittledstadt might have a lot of room to improve from his already high level of play. I hope the Canucks are checking out the family history of the top prospects to get a sense of which guys are close to their physical ceiling and which guys probably have a lot of room to improve. 

Also, as @Sedintwinpowersactivate says, it is a bad sign that Mittledstadt did not have the dedication to be better prepared for the combine. .

All things considered, I guess I would drop him down my personal draft board and would definitely not take him at #5 overall. But he might still turn out to be one of the top two or three players from this year's draft.

4 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

It's all about winning. The swedes won it against the Canadians. Don't care about a player being hit into the boards.

And I'm sure Pettersson's one assist in six games had a huge influence... he was a non-factor in that tournament and is known not to be able to handle the smaller rink size and gritty play the comes with it.

EDIT: I should also add that Canada finished second in that tournament and Sweden failed to place.

Edited by HomeBrew

4 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

And I'm sure Pettersson's one assist in six games had a huge influence... he was a non-factor in that tournament and is known not to be able to handle the smaller rink size and gritty play the comes with it.

He hasnt had time to learn how. One tournament doesnt mean he is incapable. It takes more then a hand full of games to adjust.  

13 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

He hasnt had time to learn how. One tournament doesnt mean he is incapable. It takes more then a hand full of games to adjust.  

Well that is the question for him isn't it. He is a boom or bust prospect because of this and will either gain enough strength and stability on his skates to succeed in the NHL or he will be regulated to the SHL. 

His brother looks like is set to play in the AHL next year which I think will give a good indication of how Elias himself will be able to translate as well - given that they have very similar physical attributes.

In the end, some believe he will be a boom prospect and some believe he will bust - I am on the bust side of that equation. With that said, if we happen to select him this year, I will hope for the best.

Edited by HomeBrew

Casey Mittelstadt is known to of been a "pudgy" kid growing up and it is something that he still has to work on for the future as he admits in this combine interview. For me, the room he still has to improve in his fitness indicates how much better he could potentially be when he finally reaches peak physical form - even then, pudgy guys like Kessel still seem to get it done.

4 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

What makes you believe that it could be Necas? Necas is ranked in the majority of draft rankings outside the Top 10. Picking him at #5 doesn't make sense. Trading down to let's say #10 or later would probably be sufficient to land him.

It also wouldn't make sense for Petersson or Rasmussen to be taken that earlier either, but I think whatever JB does it will be BPA and fill that C need.

5 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Casey Mittelstadt is known to of been a "pudgy" kid growing up and it is something that he still has to work on for the future as he admits in this combine interview. For me, the room he still has to improve in his fitness indicates how much better he could potentially be when he finally reaches peak physical form - even then, pudgy guys like Kessel still seem to get it done.

I believe that the year (or two) that he will spend at The University of Minnesota will help with his fitness levels. The NCAA teams all have excellent training facilities and the shorter schedule lends itself to much more off ice training than the CHL leagues. Could be a big plus for Mittlestadt and a guy like Makar. 

• Upvote 2

Vilardi plans on working on his skating again in the off season in Minnesota.  Talks about his Italian heritage (FA would love that)

Necas learned a lot playing under Erat

Can't find anything on Glass, Liljegren,  it's sad that TO and oilers have better draft coverage than Canucks despite Canucks being in the top 5 this year.

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Vilardi plans on working on his skating again in the off season in Minnesota.  Talks about his Italian heritage (FA would love that)

Necas learned a lot playing under Erat

Can't find anything on Glass, Liljegren,  it's sad that TO and oilers have better draft coverage than Canucks despite Canucks being in the top 5 this year.

Necas. 

European skill, North American heart.