The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

On 2018-10-21 at 2:43 AM, The 5th Line said:

Loui's stat line from last night

0 shots, 0 shot attempts, 0 hits, 0 blocks, 0 pims, 0g, 0a, 0 giveaways, 0 takeaways, 0 +/-, 0 faceoffs taken. 14:32 TOI

Green said it was his best game of the season.  

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

No this is not a recording.  Loui's stat line from last game (vs Wsh)

0 shots, 1 shot attempt, 0 hits, 0 blocks, 0 pims, 0g, 0a, 0 giveaways, 0 takeaways, -1, 0 faceoffs taken,  12:56 TOI

In 9 games this year he has just 7 shots, 1 hit, 0 blocks, and 0 goals.  He doesn't kill penalties, last night he got layed out by the ref and completely froze when he had the puck on his stick in the slot.  This guy needs to sit and I don't care about how much money he makes, if he was making 2mil a season he should still be scratched,  Unacceptable

Thats actually an interesting comparison. Boston was Loui's best game, and that stat line is good because he was a big part of shutting down Bergeron and Marchand.

Last night he was slow and ineffective. 

And yet the stat line looks pretty much the same. 

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

0 shots, 1 shot attempt, 0 hits, 0 blocks, 0 pims, 0g, 0a, 0 giveaways, 0 takeaways, -1, 0 faceoffs taken,  12:56 TOI

In 9 games this year he has just 7 shots, 1 hit, 0 blocks, and 0 goals.  He doesn't kill penalties, last night he got layed out by the ref and completely froze when he had the puck on his stick in the slot.  This guy needs to sit and I don't care about how much money he makes, if he was making 2mil a season he should still be scratched,  Unacceptable

But what about his stats for little things? I bet they're through the roof.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

He should totally have 100 PIMS by now. Get to work Loui! :rolleyes:

In no way will do I fully care to defend the guy by the way, but I'm more inclined to believe the coach over a few stats you've mustered up, especially when in one game he's good and in another game he's not. Clearly there's more to it than your stats.

Then again, as far as I'm concerned, most of the analytics articles out there are terrible. Not that I think your stats are even analytics. lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Thats actually an interesting comparison. Boston was Loui's best game, and that stat line is good because he was a big part of shutting down Bergeron and Marchand.

Last night he was slow and ineffective. 

And yet the stat line looks pretty much the same. 

Speaks to how much more there is to hockey than basic stats.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

He should totally have 100 PIMS by now. Get to work Loui! :rolleyes:

In no way will do I fully care to defend the guy by the way, but I'm more inclined to believe the coach over a few stats you've mustered up, especially when in one game he's good and in another game he's not. Clearly there's more to it than your stats.

Then again, as far as I'm concerned, most of the analytics articles out there are terrible. Not that I think your stats are even analytics. lol

...but...but....but Loui has played 9 games this year...he is 33 years old....and was born in Gothenburg!  Gothenburg!!  yea..and he played with Modano!   

Cmon....who pays players from Gothenburg Contracts!!!  Look at the facts BENNING!!!

The man is clearly suffering through clinical depression, it's glaringly obvious (from tv broadcasts at least) that he'd rather be anywhere else other than on the ice, or in a Canuck's jersey.  Green's curious comments that he 'does the little things well' kind of hint at some sort of mental disorder. 

Ericksson's zero stats listed higher up is some funny sarcasm, for Green's sole expectation of him not risking injury would seem to be in direct conflict with what many of us disbelieving fans feel a best fit for our team.  Earning his way onto long-term IR, at this point looks to be the only humane, if not preferred solution.

Watching 'Nucks best win of this young season in Tampa, I'd thought that finally Eriksson had been left in the pressbox, but a close re-watch proved otherwise.  What I saw was him always arriving late to the offensive zone as cameras followed play reverse up ice, leaving him to coast back into the frame briefly again but far too late to be of any effect except wave a lazy stick before ducking off to the bench.  He was doing this last little bit at the time Petterson was getting mugged in Florida, if memory serves.  And since then, like a crash scene, its been hard to watch games without focusing on Eriksson's contribution which has to these eyes at least, proved a model of consistency.

Anyway, I get that we can't appreciate the whole picture from our tv screens, (although an isolated player cam on Eriksson would be enlightening) and that tv will never replace the overall understanding gained from being at a game.  Which is what I'm asking here, to those hockey smarts who've been present at games - what are these little things that Green is talking about, have you seen any?  Do teammates welcome him back to the bench after a shift?  Are coaches patting his back for staying out of trouble?

I often wonder how the likes of Stech or a Beiga, risking all on every shift just to stay in the show, react to such disinterested, listless supportive play from Eriksson's type.  And why, no team leaders (that we know of) have dragged Eriksson aside quietly and drilled into his psyche a little physical fear of team accountability. That just seems to me a natural sports ethic I've experienced from from fellow pros who harbor still, a little pride in earning their salary; a fair dose of will to win.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I'm watching the games as well, I'm not just using statistics to from an opinion.  You guys actually thought he was good against Boston?  How, why, where, when, what? 

You guys are okay with Leipsic, Gaudette, Virtanen or somebody else sitting out over Eriksson?

how - helping to shut down Marchand and Bergeron. 

why - because he's an elite defensive player

where - during every shift - check the shift chart, he was out for most of Bergeron's shifts

when - last week

what - defensive capabilities, they matter

I'm not sure how you could have watched the Boston game and thought he sucked. 

3 hours ago, Mo Grit said:

The man is clearly suffering through clinical depression, it's glaringly obvious (from tv broadcasts at least) that he'd rather be anywhere else other than on the ice, or in a Canuck's jersey.  Green's curious comments that he 'does the little things well' kind of hint at some sort of mental disorder. 

You have been partaking of the newly legal cannabis I see :mellow:

What a bizarre comment. If it was sarcasm then I guess I didn't get it as I only read the above two sentences. It was so bizarre I had to stop reading and comment. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

He's an elite defensive player?  He rarely kills penalties anymore and he has 0 blocked shots on the season..as a winger.

He didn't visibly suck during vs Boston but I don't understand Green's love affair for him.  Not a single statistic registered in back to back games (he's had one shot attempt and literally nothing else the last two games)  These "basic stats" exist for a reason.  

He played 14 mins vs Boston and there top line played 22, 24 and 24.  Maybe they just had a bad night since they were at the end of a road trip.  I understand Loui is sound positionally, has a good stick, he's decent along the boards but there has got to be more to give.  

Again, I hope you are okay with somebody else sitting in his place

Green doesn't suffer crappy play, ever. So why would he say that if it wasn't the case? Why would Loui be used against other teams elite players, shift after shift? I mean really think about that for a minute. 

I'd like to see Loui get 8-10 more games with Pettersson, and if he's not at least a 0.5ppg player with him then yeah, its time to think about options for a healthy scratch but I also think there's a hysterical reaction to Loui on CDC. And I don't mean funny. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

He plays 12 minutes a night, he's not a 20 minute shutdown guru and yeah I have been thinking about it and I can't figure it out, that's why I'm asking you guys.  What exactly does he do?

Green said Goldobin had a bad game after Washington, did you believe him then too?  Green will defend certain guys and he will be harder on others, that's how it works.  Take post game pressers with a grain of salt.

Totally agree here.  I don't know if Loui has a place in the line-up without that big contract.  I see him as a very slow footed guy, who really struggles to keep up now.  It's hard to be a good defensive forward (who can provide some offense too) if you're a slow guy.  this is the same issue with Gaunce.  Yes, he can play a sound (sort of) defensive game, but to do so he can't produce any offense.  At this point, i would rather Gaunce was taking those minutes that Loui is getting.  However, Gaunce doesn't speak Swedish, and (maybe?) we need Loui to mentor Pettersson.

Edited by Alflives

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

We can inject Archibald for physicality orLeipsic for speed, but even Reid Boucher(I know he's hurt n0w) but Loui had the puck on his stick twice in the slot last game vs WSH and did absolutely nothing with it, Boucher would of ripped at least one of those home.  I can do without Gaunce, honestly

I think my point is that if we are having Loui play 12 minutes/night, I'd rather Gaunce played those minutes than Loui.  I agree there are better options than Gaunce, but (IMO) he's a better option than Loui. 

6 hours ago, Mo Grit said:

Pretty sure you are projecting here. Despite what you would like to believe, not everybody is mentally ill. Your post reads much like Kuzma's chiropractor explaining how his video diagnosis of Pettersson's injury indicates that EP has suffered shoulder and neck damage, and will never be the same player again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

He plays 12 minutes a night, he's not a 20 minute shutdown guru and yeah I have been thinking about it and I can't figure it out, that's why I'm asking you guys.  What exactly does he do?

Green said Goldobin had a bad game after Washington, did you believe him then too?  Green will defend certain guys and he will be harder on others, that's how it works.  Take post game pressers with a grain of salt.

I've tried to explain it as best I can. If you can go back and watch how he handles Bergeron in the Boston game if you can find a replay of the game.