The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

On 8/28/2018 at 8:04 AM, Hutton Wink said:

More like, his career stats.  Signed him at 30, as he only really had those two lesser-production years in Boston after being a consistent scorer throughout his career. 

image.png.45187a4723f1ae87579e38fb6ad5681d.png

Just turned 33, but don't think he's suddenly fallen off permanently like Higgins did around the same age.  This his third year with us should definitely tell us whether he has or not.

Even at 33, he has elite skating/speed and remains very fit so those things are likely to serve him better than players who don't have the speed on their side (e.g. Lucic).

• Wat 4

On 8/29/2018 at 5:54 PM, A Skylit Drive said:

I say he at least hits 25 goals and 30 assists. But if he plays with Petterson all season not just part of it he could be good for 30 goals 40 assists 

What are we paying him 6 mill right ?   He better show up this year and pot 20+   He has developed pretty good defensively but we paid for goals and we only have 21 so far.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Elite skating/speed?  Even in his prime he didn't have that

He is quite quick actually.   Not sure we are talking about same player.   His skating improved throughout his 20's but even upon drafting, his scouting report on Elite Prospects noted his skating:

A thick two-way forward that skates very well and exhibits a deep understanding of the game. Works hard to keep possession and can create the play off of his own stick when he has the puck. Tremendous release on his shot, which he can get off from anywhere below the blue line. Isn't afraid of the hard areas and can play a gritty, tenacious game. Reliable in his own end and pressures the opposition's decision making. 

7 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He is quite quick actually.   Not sure we are talking about same player.   His skating improved throughout his 20's but even upon drafting, his scouting report on Elite Prospects noted his skating:

A thick two-way forward that skates very well and exhibits a deep understanding of the game. Works hard to keep possession and can create the play off of his own stick when he has the puck. Tremendous release on his shot, which he can get off from anywhere below the blue line. Isn't afraid of the hard areas and can play a gritty, tenacious game. Reliable in his own end and pressures the opposition's decision making. 

he's got top end speed but I think most people today compare to mcdavid etc.. I don't think his edge work is as strong, so maybe he doesn't look as graceful, plus doesn't really show that explosive speed

42 minutes ago, Glug Datt said:

he's got top end speed but I think most people today compare to mcdavid etc.. I don't think his edge work is as strong, so maybe he doesn't look as graceful, plus doesn't really show that explosive speed

He is no where in the same league as McDavid....or Virtanen for that matter.   However, he is a very strong skater and comes into the zone with good speed.   I think one of the reasons he didn't gel with the Sedins was his speed was so mismatched with theirs.   

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He is no where in the same league as McDavid....or Virtanen for that matter.   However, he is a very strong skater and comes into the zone with good speed.   I think one of the reasons he didn't gel with the Sedins was his speed was so mismatched with theirs.   

Agreed I believe his linemates last season were Sutter and Grandlund when he got like 10 points in 9 games they were good before injured got the lineup dismantled.

Edited by A Skylit Drive
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, A Skylit Drive said:

Agreed I believe his linemates last season were Sutter and Grandlund when he got like 10 points in 9 games they were good before injured got the lineup dismantled.

It's when he returned from injury in November.  He was mostly on a line with the Sedins and played a few games with Vanek-Granlund but production was mostly with the Sedins and on special teams. 

1 hour ago, captainhorvat said:

Why do fans still have hope for this useless overpaid scrub???

It is probably because he has some value to the team even if he is overpaid. His defensive play is very good, he can play either wing up and down the lineup, can play on PP or PK if need be, so those are values that are not measured in goals, assists or points. It is true that he was brought in to provide some much needed scoring and I think you will see an improvement this year especially if he is paired with Pettersson. You do realize that referring to a professional athlete with that kind of childish rant says more about you than it does about him.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Hypothetically speaking which UFA would have been the better add at his 6 million dollar price tag? 

Jason Chmera

Eaves

Smith-Pelly

Grabner

Staal

Probably could have gotten 2 of these for $6 mil and less term

Edited by lmm
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Hypothetically speaking which UFA would have been the better add at his 6 million dollar price tag? 

In hind sight Thomas Vanek went for 2.6 mil on a one year deal that year and that would probably have been the best signing for the canucks. FYI these are the signings of 2016 at the start of free agency. Not very many of them panned out very well for the team that signed them. This is a copy of what was posted in the Hockey News and that is why it is in bold type.

KYLE OKPOSO, RW, SIGNS SEVEN-YEAR DEAL WORTH $42 MILLION WITH SABRES.                           

THOMAS VANEK, LW, SIGNS ONE-YEAR DEAL WORTH $2.6 MILLION WITH RED WINGS.                       

JASON CHIMERA, LW, SIGNS TWO-YEAR DEAL WORTH $4.5 MILLION WITH ISLANDERS.

ALEXANDER RADULOV, RW, SIGNS ONE-YEAR DEAL WORTH $5.75 MILLION WITH CANADIENS.

TROY BROUWER, RW, SIGNS FOUR-YEAR DEAL WORTH $18 MILLION WITH FLAMES.

ERIC STAAL, C, SIGNS THREE YEAR DEAL WORTH $10.5 MILLION WITH WILD.

DAVID BACKES, C, SIGNS FIVE-YEAR DEAL WORTH $30 MILLION WITH BRUINS.

MILAN LUCIC, LW, SIGNS SEVEN-YEAR DEAL WORTH $42 MILLION WITH OILERS.

FRANS NIELSEN, C, SIGNS SIX-YEAR DEAL WORTH $31.5 MILLION WITH RED WINGS.

LOUI ERIKSSON, RW, SIGNS SIX-YEAR DEAL WORTH $36 MILLION WITH CANUCKS.

ANDREW LADD, LW, SIGNS SEVEN-YEAR DEAL WORTH $38.5 MILLION WITH ISLANDERS.

DAVID PERRON, LW, SIGNS TWO-YEAR DEAL WORTH $7.5 MILLION WITH BLUES.

Edited by Kootenay Gold

8 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

In hind sight Thomas Vanek went for 2.6 mil on a one year deal that year and that would probably have been the best signing for the canucks. FYI these are the signings of 2016 at the start of free agency. Not very many of them panned out very well for the team that signed them. This is a copy of what was posted in the Hockey News and that is why it is in bold type.

KYLE OKPOSO, RW, SIGNS SEVEN-YEAR DEAL WORTH $42 MILLION WITH SABRES.                           

THOMAS VANEK, LW, SIGNS ONE-YEAR DEAL WORTH $2.6 MILLION WITH RED WINGS.                       

JASON CHIMERA, LW, SIGNS TWO-YEAR DEAL WORTH $4.5 MILLION WITH ISLANDERS.

ALEXANDER RADULOV, RW, SIGNS ONE-YEAR DEAL WORTH $5.75 MILLION WITH CANADIENS.

TROY BROUWER, RW, SIGNS FOUR-YEAR DEAL WORTH $18 MILLION WITH FLAMES.

ERIC STAAL, C, SIGNS THREE YEAR DEAL WORTH $10.5 MILLION WITH WILD.

DAVID BACKES, C, SIGNS FIVE-YEAR DEAL WORTH $30 MILLION WITH BRUINS.

MILAN LUCIC, LW, SIGNS SEVEN-YEAR DEAL WORTH $42 MILLION WITH OILERS.

FRANS NIELSEN, C, SIGNS SIX-YEAR DEAL WORTH $31.5 MILLION WITH RED WINGS.

LOUI ERIKSSON, RW, SIGNS SIX-YEAR DEAL WORTH $36 MILLION WITH CANUCKS.

ANDREW LADD, LW, SIGNS SEVEN-YEAR DEAL WORTH $38.5 MILLION WITH ISLANDERS.

DAVID PERRON, LW, SIGNS TWO-YEAR DEAL WORTH $7.5 MILLION WITH BLUES.

Basically every deal worth north of 10.5 was terrible, but Staal at 10.5 was the steal.

It is pretty amazing the consistancy of big dollars poor payout.

7 minutes ago, lmm said:

Basically every deal worth north of 10.5 was terrible, but Staal at 10.5 was the steal.

It is pretty amazing the consistancy of big dollars poor payout.

That was pretty much my take. Seems just about all of the big dollar long term deals have not lived up to expectations. Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver most certainly did not get value for the dollars spent.

Hate to sound like my old man,.  

But plain and simple, Eriksson needs a haircut,.  Something military type, that has his lid tightening up 2 sizes, and doesn’t make him look like he is balancing a helmet on his head when he skates.

His bobble head look has him playing like one.    If you want to get serious about what you are doing, possess the look and the stature follows.

No more clowns allowed on this team.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 3

46 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Hate to sound like my old man,.  

But plain and simple, Eriksson needs a haircut,.  Something military type, that has his lid tightening up 2 sizes, and doesn’t make him look like he is balancing a helmet on his head when he skates.

His bobble head look has him playing like one.    If you want to get serious about what you are doing, possess the look and the stature follows.

No more clowns allowed on this team.

Jaromir-Jagr-2.jpg

• Cheers 2