The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-eriksson-hopes-carve-clear-role-disappointing-years/

Canucks’ Eriksson hopes to carve out clear role after disappointing years

The debate on HC @ Noon covered whether Vancouver fans will be patient during a rebuild or not, if Boeser can score 40 and if Linden and ownership saw eye to eye.

iain_macintyre-115x115.pngIain MacIntyre@imacSportsnetSeptember 26, 2018, 4:30 PM

VANCOUVER – Some of the sharpest, funniest lines from the media do not make it into print or on to airwaves because they materialize in casual conversation, often in venues less formal than hockey arenas.

Last week, for instance, during a lively discussion about video gaming and the possibility Vancouver Canucks veterans might ban Fortnite on road trips, one media member suggested the team should find out what Loui Eriksson has been doing the last two seasons and ban that.

Boom. Mic drop.

Eriksson actually spent large chunks of the last two seasons in the gym and medical room, recovering from injuries. But in the 115 games the 33-year-old did play for the Canucks, the Swedish winger managed just 21 goals and 47 points.

Two seasons into a six-year, $36 million contract, Eriksson has spectacularly under-achieved in Vancouver. After all, he had 52 goals and 110 points during his final two seasons with the Boston Bruins.

But when he returned Tuesday to the lineup from a pre-season bone bruise, Eriksson went straight to the Canucks’ top forward line.

Considering the Canucks disintegrated in the third period and were shut out 6-0 by the Edmonton Oilers – and have just nine goals in a 1-5 pre-season in which Vancouver’s shooting percentage of 4.5 is the worst in the National Hockey League – “top line” is a bit of an oxymoron.

Still, Eriksson skated with Bo Horvat and is expected to start the regular season next Wednesday playing alongside rookie-of-the-year candidate Elias Pettersson.

This is because head coach Travis Green and the Canucks want a veteran presence, a player with defensive awareness, beside the wonderfully gifted 19-year-old.

But Eriksson’s likely deployment is also because none of the Canucks’ other skilled young prospects – think especially of Jonathan Dahlen and Adam Gaudette – have shown they’re ready to make the giant leap to the NHL from wherever they’ve been playing.

And Jake Virtanen and Markus Granlund haven’t done anything to warrant promotion from lower down the lineup. Either Nikolay Goldobin or Brendan Leipsic, each going into his fifth year of professional hockey, will probably get to play the other wing with Pettersson.

There is so much riding on Eriksson financially that the Canucks will do everything they can to salvage their highest-paid player.

“He has a lot more to offer,” general manager Jim Benning told Sportsnet this week. “Can he be a mentor to Pettersson? Can he play with him? We need Loui. He’s an important guy for us.

“He had a good start to camp but had a setback getting a bruised bone in his leg when he blocked a shot. If he can find good chemistry and help make a solid line with Pettersson, that’s big. We need him this year.”

Part of Eriksson’s understanding when he joined the Canucks as a free-agent was that he would be a bridge between Daniel and Henrik Sedin and whoever came after them to lead the attack. But Eriksson also understood that he would play with the twins, which under Green and previous coach Willie Desjardins happened only sporadically before the Sedins retired in April.

Eriksson knows he can play better for the Canucks than he has, but it’s clear he also wants some linemate stability and an extended opportunity to show he can still be a top-six forward in the NHL.

“It’s been tough these two years; I’ve been hurt a lot,” Eriksson said. “Then to find a role on the team, it’s been tough, too. I was supposed to play with the Sedins. We played together a few games and I thought we played well, but we didn’t produce. It’s been tough going through different lines through the whole season. It’s much easier when you find one line to play with and feel like someone believes in you.

“I’ve always been a player who produced and put up points. And it’s been tough coming here and, like I said, getting hurt and then playing on different lines, not finding anyone to play with. So it’s been a different role for me. I don’t mind taking on a checking role because that was how I was taught to play the game – to be a good two-way player. But, of course, I want to produce and help the team (offensively) as well.”

Eriksson embraces the idea of mentoring Pettersson. He remembers how veterans like Stu Barnes and Mike Modano helped him adjust to the NHL when he left Sweden for the Dallas Stars’ organization a dozen years ago.

One of Eriksson’s early assistant coaches in Dallas was fellow Swede Ulf Dahlen, Jonathan’s dad.

“It’s not easy to come to a new country, and it’s not easy to play in this league,” Eriksson said. “We’re going to try to teach them. In Dallas, I had a few guys stay in my house; I used to take them in and show them how things worked in the NHL. It’s a little different now because I have four kids and I don’t think anyone else will fit in my house.”

But he hopes there’s room for him on Pettersson’s line. That could be home, sweet home.

• Upvote 3

At this point, fans hoping for a $6M Eriksson are just shooting themselves in the foot with unrealistic expectations I'd say. Just base your expectations off of what we've seen in the last two years and you'll find you are a lot less disappointed. No point in dwelling in the past on a bad contract that was signed two years ago. Just move on and hope that we can see at least a little improvement in game. It's the same concept with Virtanen being a 6th overall pick. Time to move on and readjust expectations.

• Upvote 4

46 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

At this point, fans hoping for a $6M Eriksson are just shooting themselves in the foot with unrealistic expectations I'd say. Just base your expectations off of what we've seen in the last two years and you'll find you are a lot less disappointed. No point in dwelling in the past on a bad contract that was signed two years ago. Just move on and hope that we can see at least a little improvement in game. It's the same concept with Virtanen being a 6th overall pick. Time to move on and readjust expectations.

Eriksson is a what you see is what you get at this point and any uptick in his performance would be a bonus. As for Jake; I think he still has some untapped potential as a power forward but he needs to use his speed to break out past the defenders and drive to the net. Hopefully someone with the skill of Pettersson can hit him with a perfectly timed and placed pass while he is in full flight for that to happen.

9 hours ago, xereau said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-eriksson-hopes-carve-clear-role-disappointing-years/

Canucks’ Eriksson hopes to carve out clear role after disappointing years

The debate on HC @ Noon covered whether Vancouver fans will be patient during a rebuild or not, if Boeser can score 40 and if Linden and ownership saw eye to eye.

iain_macintyre-115x115.pngIain MacIntyre@imacSportsnetSeptember 26, 2018, 4:30 PM

VANCOUVER – Some of the sharpest, funniest lines from the media do not make it into print or on to airwaves because they materialize in casual conversation, often in venues less formal than hockey arenas.

Last week, for instance, during a lively discussion about video gaming and the possibility Vancouver Canucks veterans might ban Fortnite on road trips, one media member suggested the team should find out what Loui Eriksson has been doing the last two seasons and ban that.

Boom. Mic drop.

Eriksson actually spent large chunks of the last two seasons in the gym and medical room, recovering from injuries. But in the 115 games the 33-year-old did play for the Canucks, the Swedish winger managed just 21 goals and 47 points.

Two seasons into a six-year, $36 million contract, Eriksson has spectacularly under-achieved in Vancouver. After all, he had 52 goals and 110 points during his final two seasons with the Boston Bruins.

But when he returned Tuesday to the lineup from a pre-season bone bruise, Eriksson went straight to the Canucks’ top forward line.

Considering the Canucks disintegrated in the third period and were shut out 6-0 by the Edmonton Oilers – and have just nine goals in a 1-5 pre-season in which Vancouver’s shooting percentage of 4.5 is the worst in the National Hockey League – “top line” is a bit of an oxymoron.

Still, Eriksson skated with Bo Horvat and is expected to start the regular season next Wednesday playing alongside rookie-of-the-year candidate Elias Pettersson.

This is because head coach Travis Green and the Canucks want a veteran presence, a player with defensive awareness, beside the wonderfully gifted 19-year-old.

But Eriksson’s likely deployment is also because none of the Canucks’ other skilled young prospects – think especially of Jonathan Dahlen and Adam Gaudette – have shown they’re ready to make the giant leap to the NHL from wherever they’ve been playing.

And Jake Virtanen and Markus Granlund haven’t done anything to warrant promotion from lower down the lineup. Either Nikolay Goldobin or Brendan Leipsic, each going into his fifth year of professional hockey, will probably get to play the other wing with Pettersson.

There is so much riding on Eriksson financially that the Canucks will do everything they can to salvage their highest-paid player.

“He has a lot more to offer,” general manager Jim Benning told Sportsnet this week. “Can he be a mentor to Pettersson? Can he play with him? We need Loui. He’s an important guy for us.

“He had a good start to camp but had a setback getting a bruised bone in his leg when he blocked a shot. If he can find good chemistry and help make a solid line with Pettersson, that’s big. We need him this year.”

Part of Eriksson’s understanding when he joined the Canucks as a free-agent was that he would be a bridge between Daniel and Henrik Sedin and whoever came after them to lead the attack. But Eriksson also understood that he would play with the twins, which under Green and previous coach Willie Desjardins happened only sporadically before the Sedins retired in April.

Eriksson knows he can play better for the Canucks than he has, but it’s clear he also wants some linemate stability and an extended opportunity to show he can still be a top-six forward in the NHL.

“It’s been tough these two years; I’ve been hurt a lot,” Eriksson said. “Then to find a role on the team, it’s been tough, too. I was supposed to play with the Sedins. We played together a few games and I thought we played well, but we didn’t produce. It’s been tough going through different lines through the whole season. It’s much easier when you find one line to play with and feel like someone believes in you.

“I’ve always been a player who produced and put up points. And it’s been tough coming here and, like I said, getting hurt and then playing on different lines, not finding anyone to play with. So it’s been a different role for me. I don’t mind taking on a checking role because that was how I was taught to play the game – to be a good two-way player. But, of course, I want to produce and help the team (offensively) as well.”

Eriksson embraces the idea of mentoring Pettersson. He remembers how veterans like Stu Barnes and Mike Modano helped him adjust to the NHL when he left Sweden for the Dallas Stars’ organization a dozen years ago.

One of Eriksson’s early assistant coaches in Dallas was fellow Swede Ulf Dahlen, Jonathan’s dad.

“It’s not easy to come to a new country, and it’s not easy to play in this league,” Eriksson said. “We’re going to try to teach them. In Dallas, I had a few guys stay in my house; I used to take them in and show them how things worked in the NHL. It’s a little different now because I have four kids and I don’t think anyone else will fit in my house.”

But he hopes there’s room for him on Pettersson’s line. That could be home, sweet home.

If Loui can help acclimate Elias to the NHL this season, and pot some goals, I'm good.

• Upvote 1

On 2018-09-24 at 1:13 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm hopeful. Really, what's the alternative?

There is no difference with him in or out of the line up..  the up side to him being out is that position is used to develop a player.

.. or are we waiting for Eriksson to develop into something for us?

The additions of Beagle, Schaller, and Rousell should easily prove that Eriksson’s veteran services are not needed..

its a shame we let Vanek go, better all round player, and has been the perfect mentor/Vet to Boeser, and others.

• Upvote 1

Ladies and Gentlemen....I present to you...The Loui "open mouth" Eriksson Hall of Fame!

Loui-Eriksson.gif

Image result for loui eriksson

Related image

Related image

Image result for loui erikssonImage result for loui erikssonRelated imageImage result for loui eriksson

Related image

Image result for loui erikssonRelated imageRelated image

Unlike his performance on the ice, Loui never seems to fail to produce in the showing us the curvature of his mouth.  

His blank stare to open mouth ratio is impeccable. Give it up for the 6 million dollar man, remember Loui, to moisturize those lips and hydrate!

Let us all pay tribute to this beautiful man

Image result for patrick star mouth open

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

3 assists in his first two games.

Is Pettersson actually going to accomplish what the twins couldn't and actually turn Eriksson at 6 x $6 million into a good signing? ;)

It would be a miracle if the deal ever even became just fair, never mind a good deal, haha.

My bold take on Eriksson this season is with the way he is playing with Petey he will hit career 900gp and hit career 600pts. Teams will be focusing on his linemates too much and he will avoid serious injury this season. 

I hope I am right. Despite his contract I like Loui as a player and want him to do well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Gawd he was slow in that game, he looked a step behind every shift, his shot was flakey soft, he had two good chances and couldn't hit the net and he shoots with no intensity at all --a lazy shot. Has he ever finished a body check ever? Gawd I wished he go with Gagner to wherever useless vets go.

• Upvote 2

He really needs to sit in the press box for a couple of games.  What else can you do with this guy?  One of his assists was just a quick flick to EP40 who did all the work.  Other than that he's pretty pedestrian out there.  Did anyone even notice him last night against Wpg?  I know he saved a goal in Pittsburgh by blocking a shot but other than that pretty invisible on this road trip.  I know he'll never leave up to that $6 million a year but at least try to earn $3mil of that by showing you actually care about playing hockey. 

• Upvote 3