The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Contracts like Eriksson’s are said to be “buyout proof” because of their structure with guaranteed signing bonuses (this article does a decent job breaking down why), but they are not immovable. You can still make a retained salary transaction, retaining up to 50% of the contract (AAV and monies owed, including the remaining bonuses).

Where signing bonuses make trades interesting is how the payouts are scheduled. Signing bonuses are paid out annually in a lump sum in July, before the season starts. Regular salary is paid every 15th and last day of the month, starting September 30th, and ending April 15th. So the timing of trades makes a huge difference on how much actual salary is left, and how much real money will be retained.

Good explanation except any regular contract clause which insists that 'before we sign this year's bonus please explain in your own words what you did to earn it exactly'?

Yet, who among us wouldn't sign such a weighted, one-way contract?  We pay - you turn up, dress, slouch, float and then go home. You'll not even need to shower.

Rather not be picky, but to me his last goal looked like he was trying to backhand the puck into the far corner (a la coaches mantra of dump'n'chase at all times) but whiffed.

Subtle goalie deception I suppose, but more perhaps a flash of his genius for the little things we ungrateful, unwashed fans can't hope to appreciate.

7 minutes ago, Mo Grit said:

Good explanation except any regular contract clause which insists that 'before we sign this year's bonus please explain in your own words what you did to earn it exactly'?

It's not a performance bonus. It's a locked in bonus signed for at the start of his 6 year contract. He doesn't have to explain anything !

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 250Integra said:

He looked good alongside Petey at the beginning of the year. Maybe he can put them together again and see what happens...

EP is a franchise player.  He can make *ME* look good if I laced up the skates & I can't skate backwards.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Contracts like Eriksson’s are said to be “buyout proof” because of their structure with guaranteed signing bonuses (this article does a decent job breaking down why), but they are not immovable. You can still make a retained salary transaction, retaining up to 50% of the contract (AAV and monies owed, including the remaining bonuses).

Where signing bonuses make trades interesting is how the payouts are scheduled. Signing bonuses are paid out annually in a lump sum in July, before the season starts. Regular salary is paid every 15th and last day of the month, starting September 30th, and ending April 15th. So the timing of trades makes a huge difference on how much actual salary is left, and how much real money will be retained.

He could also retire/agree to mutual termination after he receives his bonus July 1st ;) 

• Haha 1

No offence...but those people thinking Loui Eriksson will walk away from 14 million dollars in the next 3 years are either smoking crack or mentally challenged lol.

le.PNG

He literally just needs to show up at a rink and skate around and hang out with the guys. No way in Hell he just walks away from 14 million dollars in the next 3 years.

However, there is a possibility he could be traded to a bottom cap team after this bonus is paid this summer just so they can get to the cap.

He isn't retiring. He isn't mutually cancelling his contract.   That is just stupid.  

That doesn't happen in real life. :picard:

Edit: that wasn't just directed at you aGent but anyone who thinks like wise. That kind of money, if not spent on hookers and blow, could set up LE and his wife and kids and their kids for life. He won't walk away from it.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

No offence...but those people thinking Loui Eriksson will walk away from 14 million dollars in the next 3 years are either smoking crack or mentally challenged lol.

le.PNG

He literally just needs to show up at a rink and skate around and hang out with the guys. No way in Hell he just walks away from 14 million dollars in the next 3 years.

However, there is a possibility he could be traded to a bottom cap team after this bonus is paid this summer just so they can get to the cap.

He isn't retiring. He isn't mutually cancelling his contract.   That is just stupid.  

Edit: that wasn't just directed at you aGent but anyone who thinks like wise. That kind of money, if not spent on hookers and blow, could set up LE and his wife and kids and their kids for life. He won't walk away from it.

he doesn't have to retire, just find another team. If his agent can find him even a smallish deal he might be happy to leave this market on July 2nd. 

And it happened in Buffalo this year. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

I've also heard that this type of contract is mostly lock-out proof too.  A main reason players are pushing for it.  Even if the season is shortened, if they play at all they get the entire bonus.  They don't care about the salary -- they get the full bonus.

3 minutes ago, dm_ranger said:

I've also heard that this type of contract is mostly lock-out proof too.  A main reason players are pushing for it.  Even if the season is shortened, if they play at all they get the entire bonus.  They don't care about the salary -- they get the full bonus.

I don’t care how, but JUST GET RID IF THIS GUY.

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

le.PNG

$9m after July 1 actually, not $14m (or the $13m it actually is with the bonus). He'll have collected $27m of his $36m contract July 1.

And I can't imagine the last few years of (somewhat warranted) vitriol have been easy for him, or his family.

Also doubt he wants to see himself played off the 4th line he probably didn't even see himself falling to. Or, if it comes to it, riding buses in Utica.

I wouldn't be so sure ;)

3 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

le.PNG

Totally agree.  We are stuck with this Loui guy.  I’d just park his arse on the bus in Utica.  Good riddance to him.  Eat the salary.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Totally agree.  We are stuck with this Loui guy.  I’d just park his arse on the bus in Utica.  Good riddance to him.  Eat the salary.

good luck attracting future ufa if you are prepared to treat loui in this manner

you really think no one else will notice this? and think it is ok ?

better to have a heart to heart with loui

see if he is willing to expand the teams he is wiling to be traded to

get him to agree to a trade to a bottom feeding team needing to hit the cap floor

he can leave in dignity

and the nucks retain a solid reputation of treating players in a classy and professional manner

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, coastal.view said:

good luck attracting future ufa if you are prepared to treat loui in this manner

you really think no one else will notice this? and think it is ok ?

better to have a heart to heart with loui

see if he is willing to expand the teams he is wiling to be traded to

get him to agree to a trade to a bottom feeding team needing to hit the cap floor

he can leave in dignity

and the nucks retain a solid reputation of treating players in a classy and professional manner

No doubt I'd be a crap gm coastal, but here goes.

First off, given our Loui experience I'd not be interested in attracting any ufa's for the next few years.  If their last gm won't pay what their agents demand, why should we?

I'd hope other ufa's agents would indeed notice.  I think ending our reputation as a soft touch would be more than ok, desirable in fact.  Each time I read of Benning's interest in this or that next ufa, I reach for a single malt.  Better to put all that wasted expense into hiring top coaching and scouting, build our own identity, cease trying to buy it.

This heart to heart you'd have would be a far different one in my world.  He needs to see some reality and how his remaining time will be spent. We are a bottom feeding team presently, so precisely which other bft coach would want Loui's apathy on his bench?  I wouldn't waste one second discussing which team he'd be willing to join as there'd be no takers anyway, at least none not hoping to crap on us further.  Better hockey brains than I have posted detailed contract explanation of what you can't make Loui do.  Time then to look at what can be done, those 'little things' that don't protect him.  He doesn't have to play or practice to earn his larceny so I would waive then sit him at home until his contract ends.  He legally has to be available if required so I'd keep him a permanent state of team isolation, have him train alone and prepared for a never-happening call-up.  Dress him infrequently perhaps, to cover a sudden injury and save some flight expenses.  Top corporations use a similar tactic of enforced zero responsibility when dealing with sensitive firings, I've seen it up close and though unpleasant, bottom line is that it works a charm on those deserving.  Three months in and shame finally reaches the dullest brain; victims eagerly negotiate a package and always leave quietly. 

To your final well-meaning point - our reputation.

These past couple of weeks we've seen a fan favorite, signed for his toughness, traded away because he can't play fancy.  In his place we took a player who's sole attribute so far is being not very noticeable on the ice.  In other words, another Invisible Man, linemate for Loui and SchallertheWho, perhaps.  Then we decide we need to look tough and proceed to bully a homesick young kid who dares question his and maybe fellow prospect ice-time.  This classy and professional outfit, in some amateur, that'll show 'em who's boss knee-jerk madness, promptly gives him up to a rival org.   Sure then, college kids and draftees' agents will have noticed - and are likely already discussing client alternatives for avoiding our bootcamp and wait out elsewhere for lucrative free agency.

I believe Jim's in tough at this point as his dealings have suddenly proved tired and ineffective.  Eriksson's embarrassing signing will dog his remaining days until he takes the hard road to fix it.  The longer that takes the worse we get to look.

12 hours ago, coastal.view said:

Well with this franchise that is probably a good thing, you don't build a team July 1st and you have to contend with other teams and overpay.  But I doubt if we bought out LE or waived him that it would have a ripple effect throughout the league.  Players probably care more about the higher taxes and insane housing market here than buying out players that under perform. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

whats wrong with that statement? Loui has been great on the PK. 

We are near the bottom of the league on the PK though.  Loui is snail slow now.  PK guys should be quick, and smart.  Loui is just smart.