The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

not that much tbh. OTT has ~44 mil in salaries for next year, and right now the floor is 58 mil and that probably goes up. Loui is 3 mil in the bank for Melnyk with a cap hit of 6 mil. Maybe a 3rd round pick, or a b-prospect. Thats all it should take, anyway. 

If that's all it takes I would jump on that so fast. 

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Probably the worst UFA class in history, and we were a part of it.  At least we didn't go 7 years with Eriksson...  :(

At least we didn't go 7 with Lucic. :sick: (still agree with you)

i think we could retain Salary with him still, we avoid paying extra (for a buyout) and we have the cap space to hold onto a bit of his salary

45 minutes ago, Rough Neck said:

At least we didn't go 7 with Lucic. :sick: (still agree with you)

i think we could retain Salary with him still, we avoid paying extra (for a buyout) and we have the cap space to hold onto a bit of his salary

There is next to no benefit retaining salary with LE's contract. $500,000 if my math is correct. It would be a 3rd and final salary retention. How would CDC armchair GMs finalise all their fantastic trades without being able to retain salary ? ( yes, I know, we lose MDZ next year ).

Poor LE, now that Gudbranson is gone and Sutter is injured, he's kind of alone at the whipping post. All the haters and tough guys are going to tear the poor guy to shreds !

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

There is next to no benefit retaining salary with LE's contract. $500,000 if my math is correct. It would be a 3rd and final salary retention. How would CDC armchair GMs finalise all their fantastic trades without being able to retain salary ? ( yes, I know, we lose MDZ next year ).

Poor LE, now that Gudbranson is gone and Sutter is injured, he's kind of alone at the whipping post. All the haters and tough guys are going to tear the poor guy to shreds !

Sorry, what do you mean by 500,000? As in, if we buy him out we only pay 500k in the last few years? 

I may have found a bright side with respect to Eriksson's bonus heavy contract.

Obviously a buyout is pretty much out of the question considering the cap savings will be less than a million dollars for double the remaining period of time. However, a big wild card at play is the pending state of the Columbus Blue Jackets. Was listening to yesterday's episode of Canucks Central at noon and they talked about the possibility of Columbus not being able to resign any of Panarin, Bobrovski, and Duchene, as well as a possible off-season plan to regroup for 2019-2020. Even with an extension due to Werenski, they will have issue with staying above the cap-floor unless they're able to sign top level FAs to ludicrous contracts. If Eriksson falls out of favour in Vancouver (with many other forwards chopping at the bit), I would not be surprised if he is traded to Columbus, with $1 million retained, for a low pick, a B prospect, or even futures. That way, Columbus would get a $5 million cap hit, but only pay $2 million for it. Not too bad of a deal if they end up in this situation, however unlikely.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Given Eriksson's extortionate pay-per-shift contract, he's hardly poor except in character.

The only thing he's earned here is as a whipping post.  Given his signing reputation for being 'good around the net',

being stuck in the crease for entire power plays would seem his thing.  No skating or effort involved, and even when

dodging pain he may inadvertently screen goalies.  I'm guessing coaching asked but he was allowed to refuse.

He is excellent at avoiding injury otherwise, a role model for prospects to pace themselves through a tough schedule.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Probably the worst UFA class in history, and we were a part of it.  At least we didn't go 7 years with Eriksson...  :(

Fortunately we got lucky in that Lucic turned us down.  At least Loui can be ‘ok’ bottom six defensive winger.  Lucic is well past his due date.  Plus can you imagine Ryan Miller and Lucic in the same locker room?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Fortunately we got lucky in that Lucic turned us down.  At least Loui can be ‘ok’ bottom six defensive winger.  Lucic is well past his due date.  Plus can you imagine Ryan Miller and Lucic in the same locker room?

Loui, playing in the bottom six, and on the PK, is kind of holding up a potential prospect though, isn't it?  Maybe that role could be played by Gaunce or Big Mac?  

• Upvote 1

On 2/28/2019 at 2:09 PM, Smashian Kassian said:

What do u guys think it would take a team like Ottawa, with lots of cap space that needs to hit the floor for next season, to take Eriksson off our hands?

Its hard cause we are in a rebuild too, but is there anything we could give up that might suffice, or are we just stuck with Loui?

Funny because during Benning's almost 5 years here, he should have been the one taking other teams' bad contracts with pick or prospect sweeteners.

Unfortunately he never did it once and now is looking to offload his bad signings lol.

Pretty much sums things up.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Rough Neck said:

Sorry, what do you mean by 500,000? As in, if we buy him out we only pay 500k in the last few years? 

His contract is mainly signing bonuses. Actual salary is $1mil for two years. Retained salary maximum is 50% of salary, so $500k. As with most things, I'm fairly sure this is how it works, but not 100% sure :)