The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Summer Update from Trevor Linden (Season Ticket Holder Email)

AriGold

For anybody who cares...

Vancouver Canucks Facebook Twitter Instagram  

transparent.gif  

Dear Tyler,

I hope you are enjoying these early days of July. A lot has happened with your Canucks recently and I wanted to update you as we begin looking ahead to summer and the start of the 2016.17 season.

We have just finished one of the most important few weeks of the year – drafting new players and signing key free agents. These new Canucks will play important roles in the future sustained success of the team and our goal of ultimately competing for a Cup in Vancouver.

Jim and his team have worked tirelessly to transition the Canucks to a young, fast, high-character group. His focus has been on drafting and developing our next core while also adding young players and veteran leaders who can help us compete both now and also in a few years when the next core is ready.

Let me share some of the highlights:

• We signed Loui Eriksson. He's a strong all-around player with great offensive instincts and character. He's going to help us compete immediately. And he will also help us create a winning culture for our young players to grow in. I think you'll really enjoy watching him play.

• We drafted a new crop of exciting young prospects, led by defenceman Olli Juolevi. He was our top rated defenceman going into the Draft after winning the Memorial Cup and World Junior gold. We just watched him at our Development Camp and I came away extremely impressed. Our other prospects, including Brock Boeser and Thatcher Demko looked great too. I think you'll feel the same when you see them play in person.

• We signed Jacob Markstrom for three more years. Jacob is a talented goalie with size and an ultra-competitive mindset. He was excellent last year and we're looking for big things from him in the future.

We are just getting started. We are continuously looking for ways to improve the team and I know Willie and his coaching staff are eager to work with this group in the fall.

I am excited about our journey ahead and will keep you up-to-date as we build the next great Canucks team.

Thank you for all of your continued support.

Trevor
8eaf2f01-fc88-4bb0-9907-2fa21973c881.jpg

Trevor Linden
President, Hockey Operations Vancouver Canucks
Alternate Governor, NHL

Hmm, after reading all that, I'm still at where I was before the letter, which is a die hard fan.  Although there have been moves I haven't agreed with, there have been many that have been good.  Can't win them all.  But as for a list of things I have agreed with during recent managements tenure....

1)  You brought back the flaming skate, even as an alternate jersey...hell's yeah!

2)  Substantial change to the old core that wasn't getting it done.....check.

3)  Didn't tire fire our franchise and try to do what Edmonton did....check.

4)  Give us playoff hockey after we were sure that we were done after Tort's....check.  (okay, it was a one and done, but it was way better than anyone expected)

5)  Finally draft a top rated defensive prospect and restock the cupboards after years of gutting our future to no effect...check.

6)  Do the opposite of what TSN tells us we should do, because F' them! ....check.

7)  Have meaningful radio interviews which result in us getting 50k fine for saying what every other GM was thinking...check!

8)  Who here wouldn't rather listen to Trevor Linden over Mike Gillis? Really, say what you will, I know you all agree with 

me..check

9)  Drafting up a defense that actually looks like it can throw its weight around and clear the gosh darned crease...check.

10)  And my last one, we haven't even gotten to the start of the regular season, and I am already intrigued about how we'll do.  Will Gudbranson prove the analytical community wrong?  Will Tryamkin be a force?  Can Sbisa put it all together?  Is Hutton going to avoid the sophmore jinx?  Baertschi and Horvat continue the chemistry that seemed to click at the end of last year?  Will Sutter actually be a difference maker and stay healthy?  Will the Sedins and Eriksson have an epic season?  Who knows, but if it all goes well, we can make some noise.   If it doesn't...new coach, high pick, and we start the roller coaster all over again.

48 minutes ago, AriGold said:

For anybody who cares...

Vancouver Canucks Facebook Twitter Instagram  

transparent.gif  

Dear Tyler,

I hope you are enjoying these early days of July. A lot has happened with your Canucks recently and I wanted to update you as we begin looking ahead to summer and the start of the 2016.17 season.

We have just finished one of the most important few weeks of the year – drafting new players and signing key free agents. These new Canucks will play important roles in the future sustained success of the team and our goal of ultimately competing for a Cup in Vancouver.

Jim and his team have worked tirelessly to transition the Canucks to a young, fast, high-character group. His focus has been on drafting and developing our next core while also adding young players and veteran leaders who can help us compete both now and also in a few years when the next core is ready.

Let me share some of the highlights:

• We signed Loui Eriksson. He's a strong all-around player with great offensive instincts and character. He's going to help us compete immediately. And he will also help us create a winning culture for our young players to grow in. I think you'll really enjoy watching him play.

• We drafted a new crop of exciting young prospects, led by defenceman Olli Juolevi. He was our top rated defenceman going into the Draft after winning the Memorial Cup and World Junior gold. We just watched him at our Development Camp and I came away extremely impressed. Our other prospects, including Brock Boeser and Thatcher Demko looked great too. I think you'll feel the same when you see them play in person.

• We signed Jacob Markstrom for three more years. Jacob is a talented goalie with size and an ultra-competitive mindset. He was excellent last year and we're looking for big things from him in the future.

We are just getting started. We are continuously looking for ways to improve the team and I know Willie and his coaching staff are eager to work with this group in the fall.

I am excited about our journey ahead and will keep you up-to-date as we build the next great Canucks team.

Thank you for all of your continued support.

Trevor
8eaf2f01-fc88-4bb0-9907-2fa21973c881.jpg

Trevor Linden
President, Hockey Operations Vancouver Canucks
Alternate Governor, NHL

Excellent post Tyler :bigblush:

Worthy of note to all those who don't get what the plan is.......I've bolded it above.  Straight from the President.

34 minutes ago, Solinar said:

Hmm, after reading all that, I'm still at where I was before the letter, which is a die hard fan.  Although there have been moves I haven't agreed with, there have been many that have been good.  Can't win them all.  But as for a list of things I have agreed with during recent managements tenure....

1)  You brought back the flaming skate, even as an alternate jersey...hell's yeah!

2)  Substantial change to the old core that wasn't getting it done.....check.

3)  Didn't tire fire our franchise and try to do what Edmonton did....check.

4)  Give us playoff hockey after we were sure that we were done after Tort's....check.  (okay, it was a one and done, but it was way better than anyone expected)

5)  Finally draft a top rated defensive prospect and restock the cupboards after years of gutting our future to no effect...check.

6)  Do the opposite of what TSN tells us we should do, because F' them! ....check.

7)  Have meaningful radio interviews which result in us getting 50k fine for saying what every other GM was thinking...check!

8)  Who here wouldn't rather listen to Trevor Linden over Mike Gillis? Really, say what you will, I know you all agree with 

me..check

9)  Drafting up a defense that actually looks like it can throw its weight around and clear the gosh darned crease...check.

10)  And my last one, we haven't even gotten to the start of the regular season, and I am already intrigued about how we'll do.  Will Gudbranson prove the analytical community wrong?  Will Tryamkin be a force?  Can Sbisa put it all together?  Is Hutton going to avoid the sophmore jinx?  Baertschi and Horvat continue the chemistry that seemed to click at the end of last year?  Will Sutter actually be a difference maker and stay healthy?  Will the Sedins and Eriksson have an epic season?  Who knows, but if it all goes well, we can make some noise.   If it doesn't...new coach, high pick, and we start the roller coaster all over again.

You had me at F' TSN :).

Brings back memories. Just 27 months ago, Mike Gillis sent out a similar e-mail. Let's see what that one said shall we?

With the trade deadline a week behind us, I wanted to communicate directly with our Season Ticket Members. You are a very important part of the Canucks family, and I’d like to give you more insight into last week’s developments and our plan for the team going forward.

In addition, I will be inviting you to participate in a webcast after I get home from the GM meetings and upcoming road trip. I want to articulate our plans with you openly and want to give you an opportunity to ask questions so that you have a greater understanding of the vision.

Our mission remains the same: to win the Stanley Cup. Last summer we said we had to make some changes to our team. We need to get younger, faster and stronger to succeed. That process is happening now, as we look to retool by surrounding our veteran stars with new, young talent. You can look at Anaheim as a recent example of a team that has retooled successfully.

Trading Roberto was not an easy decision. We are grateful for his tremendous contribution to our team and city, and we wish him much success. But the moves we've made go beyond goaltending. We are now younger and we are getting deeper. We've added a big, strong 6'4" centre in Shawn Matthias, who is excited to be here and will help this team now. And we believe in our talented group of prospects, including Bo Horvat, Nicklas Jensen, Frank Corrado, Dane Fox, Brendan Gaunce and Hunter Shinkaruk, who will be part of our short and long-term success. We are also well positioned financially, having created over $5 million in cap room to make the right deals for this team. That's in addition to the $7 million we expect the salary cap to increase next season.

We approached the deadline with long-term success in mind. We were prepared to make a hockey deal on trade deadline day, not a short-term fix. The players offered at the deadline did not fit our vision of where we want our team to go. We need to get younger and more balanced to be more competitive, and we didn’t see the right players to accomplish that goal. We are not willing to compromise our long-term vision for the sake of change.

We are committed to putting a winning team on the ice for you. Our ownership is supportive and will invest whatever it takes to bring the Cup to Vancouver. As we move towards this goal we will continue to invest in your arena and Canucks fan experience.

Thank you again for your continued support. We are enduring a challenging period, but your passion makes it possible for us to put our team in a position to compete. Our organization is committed to doing whatever it takes to win, and we want you to be here with us when we achieve our goal.

Sincerely,

Michael D. Gillis
President and General Manager
Vancouver Canucks

WE ARE ALL CANUCKS

i like the direction of where the team's going. it wasnt like under the gillis regime, where you really didn't know how things would play out. that era really left me feeling like something was missing. trevor understands the game and the business side of things and i like where he said "in a few years when the next core is ready." i also liked where he didn't say "yea, we wanna win the cup, we're gonna make the playoffs next year" and he wasn't just fluffing out numbers, cap stuff and how they want to sign guys. it was quick and to the point: this is what we've done, our future is starting to come together and jim and the team are working on getting us an exciting team again

let's fast forward to september already :3

Sorry to tell you Tyler,  but you got spammed. 

I cross referenced the signature of your fake letter with two of my signed Linden hockey cards and they don't match - at all::D

And I'm pretty sure it was the 'real ' Linden I saw because both times were at official Canucks team sponsored events ^_^.

JK:P

2 hours ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

@AriGold

What did you think of the email? 

Personally, when I read mine it made me really excited for the future. 

See the Mike Gillis email above. It had far more hope. If this e-mail gets you excited you're a sucker. I'm not saying there's nothing to be excited about but... a "hype" e-mail isn't the reason I am excited. Prospects always generally sound better than they are. Right now people are comparing Boesner to Toews and Demko to freaking Brodeur it's ridiculous. We'll be lucky if either of them play any type of meaningful role in the NHL.

Archived